Menu

I just returned from an appt with a diabets "expert" nurse - no protein in Veggies??

I just returned from an appt with a diabets "expert" nurse - no protein in Veggies??

I told her I just read "Eat to Live" and Dr. Furhman wrote there is twice as much protein in green leafies (like spinach, romaine lettuce, broccoli etc) as there is in meat.

She VERY adamantly told me that there are absolutely NO PROTEIN in green leafies - that she knows that for a fact because she is a diabetic nutrition expert and has been for ump-teen years.

Can someone please tell me - is there protein in veggies - and also, is there twice as much protein in broccoli as there is in meat?

Thank You!

100 g broccoli= 3 grams protein.

100 g raw hamburger meat = 17 grams protein.

And according to this site, 85g of fresh spinach has 2g of protein. I don't know what Fuhrman's book says, but I was under the impression that most veggies have very little protein. Maybe he meant "bioavailable" protein?

Edited by melissel
Spinach, not broccoli!

Sounds like both sources are a bit off. Yes, broccoli has some protein, albeit incomplete protein, but not "twice as much as meat".

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2356/2

1 cup raw broccoli has 3 g protein

It also contains 6 g carbohydrates.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/basicnutritionecourse/a/protein_pt_two_2.htm

1 cup chicken breast has 45 grams protein

"For now, it is good to know that one serving of meat is usually about three ounces, or about the size of a deck of cards, and in general, three ounces of meat will have around 20 grams of protein. One cup of low-fat milk has about eight grams of protein. Twelve almonds have about three grams of protein."

You also have to consider the kind of protein:

"Remember the incomplete and complete proteins from the section on amino acids? Complete proteins contain all of the essential amino acids and incomplete proteins are missing one or more of the individual essential amino acids. Proteins from animal origin contain all of the essential amino acids, but proteins from plant sources do not. This means that a diet based on plant protein requires the right combinations of protein sources to get enough of all of the essential amino acids. "

Ok, so meat has not carbs, vegetables do have protein. Things like hemp, soy, spirulina, wheatgrass, whey and beans all have protein. It is possible to get enough protein without eating meat daily. I don't wish to get into any debates, I eat meat. I am no expert, and do not wish to tell anyone how or what they should eat. Some experts let their personal opinions interfer with their work. Some experts may be experts, but at the same time not have adequate knowledge about certain things pertaining to their expertise. I thought everyone should be encouraged to eat more vegetables. If you are the one paying, and are inquiring about getting adequate amounts of protein from vegetable sources, then that information should have been provided. I suggest you do your own research into the matter and inform the expert.

I found this online:

Chart :: Vegetables High In Protein

For 1 cup cooked

Artichokes5.9g

Asparagus5.3g

Beet Greens3.7g

Beets2.8g

Broccoli4.5g

Brussels sprouts5.5g

Cabbage, green1.5g

Cabbage, red, raw0.97g

Cauliflower5.3g

Mushroom3g

Sweet corn4g

Most veges with protein also have loads of starches... bad for the diabetic (like beans & peas, etc). Never heard of green leafy veges being a real protein source.

Your green leafy veges are good for the diabetic b/c they are tough to digest & slow down digestion. Proteins & fats are similar & don't have all the sugars (unless added). Fiber, protein, and fats all slow down sugar absorption.... which is a tremendous aid in dealing with the insulin surges/drops.

You can work in some veges that are very high in fiber & contain nat'l sugars (like carrots & sweet potatos) over time... but at first, I think they want you to be very strict. You have to always balance any nutrients available with the sugar content... which will eliminate many options for other people just wanting to balance diet or add more veges.

Plus... how many ounces or grams do you have to eat to get a few grams of protein from a plant like cauliflower or green leaf spinach? It could be moderate... but you wouldn't want to eat 3 bowls full of spinach with little protein for your system. Diabetics have a tough time at first "balancing" all the numbers. Once you get the idea and good practice, it will work more easily for you. Best wishes!

Edited by Dirtroad

Maybe he's measuring protein per calorie rather than protein per serving?

Otherwise, no clue!

That is exactly what he said - I just found it again on his site in a radio interview transcript.

Wow - OK, there is WIDE spectrum of opinions :smash: What an eye opener :banghead:

Your nurse is right, somewhat. Leafy veggies, while very good for you, have next to no protein. They have tons of other stuff, but they are not a source of protein. Protein comes from meat, eggs, fish, nuts, legumes, most milk products. You would need to eat 5 bags of spinach to get the same amount of protein in one serving of chicken breast.

Most veges with protein also have loads of starches... bad for the diabetic (like beans & peas, etc).

Legumes are not bad for diabetics. In fact they are a good way of getting more food for the amount of carbs you are eating. Carbs are good, we need carbs. Diabetics need to be careful not to eat too much on one sitting, that's all. To give an example, when I was gestational diabetic, I became very sensitive to grains. Given the choice, I would rather have half a cup of beans for breakfast than a quarter of a piece of toast!

Dietary experts like the one the OP has dealings with, have not read everything there is to read on the subject of nutrition and ailments. You *really* have to cross reference what they say with what you read/ hear elsewhere.

Rosie

Based on the info from the nutrition data website posted above, there are 17 g protein in 100g of meat and 254 calories. There are 3 g of protein in 100 g raw kale and 50 calories. Thus, calorie for calorie, raw meat and raw kale have approximately the same amount of protein with the meat slightly higher (dividing grams by calories in each case results in .067 and .06 respectively...) Other dark greens have other amounts of protein. It is important to pay attention to comparing calorie for calorie or volume for volume because you will come up with VERY different numbers.

As for diabetes, I have done some studying that there is evidence that flies in the face of most diabetic advice... while simple carbs are not healthy, dietary fat intake is also something you really need to watch. If the body has too much dietary fat, it insulates the cells with fat. Thus, the insulin can't deliver the glucose to the cells an there is extra glucose in the bloodstream. The interesting thing to also consider is that ALL food you eat will be converted to glucose for energy by the body. We run on glucose...

Edited by lighthouseacademy

Could you be talking about iron? Green leafy veggies have more iron than meat.

That's also untrue and was debunked in the 90's. At some point in the early 20th century, a lab tested the iron in spinach and came up with a huge number. This research spawned the likes of Popeye, etc. Many years later (late 20th century), the lab work was repeated by a different lab.

The original lab had been off by a factor of 100. Turns out spinach has about the same iron content in other green leafy veggies -- some, but not a lot, and most certainly not more than red meat.

Look up "spinach iron content debunk" and a whole bunch of articles will come up.

Most veges with protein also have loads of starches... bad for the diabetic (like beans & peas, etc).

Best wishes!

I am hypoglycemic, since childhood, and I tend to gravitate toward sugary foods due to that tendency toward sugar addiction. I have always thought that beans were good for me b/c of the fiber and protein content. Are beans not good? That could explain why I like them so much, LOL.

Based on the info from the nutrition data website posted above, there are 17 g protein in 100g of meat and 254 calories. There are 3 g of protein in 100 g raw kale and 50 calories. Thus, calorie for calorie, raw meat and raw kale have approximately the same amount of protein with the meat slightly higher (dividing grams by calories in each case results in .067 and .06 respectively...)

Kale is not nearly as dense as meat. How big of a serving of kale would you have to eat to consume 100g?

Wendi

I don't mean to be facetious, but I've always wondered how cows and horses could have such muscular bodies when all they eat are vegetables?:tongue_smilie:

Of course horses and cows have totally different digestive systems and nutritional needs than ours. They do need protein, but as a lower percentage of their total diets than we need. They require a much higher percentage of their diet in roughage than we could use.

In many horse feeds, the protein comes from soy, oats, or alfalfa. The first five ingredients of the feed I use are alfalfa, beet pulp, wheat, oats, and soybean.

And another thing you have to consider is the huge quantity of grass/hay/grain a horse will consume every day. It's astonishing really. I think the rule of thumb is 2% of body weight -- which means a 1500 lb. horse eats 30 lbs a day. That's a huge pile of grass.

So each piece of grass or hay might have just a tiny amount of protein in it, but the horse eats an enormous amount of it -- thus getting the huge amount of roughage that he needs and a little bit of protein which does add up.

Protein is found in most foods. Son and I have to be on a low protein diet -- due to our liver disease. I also am diabetic. I steer clear of meat, dairy, eggs, nuts, whole wheat... but eat lots of fruit, veggies, and carbs. So far, my blood sugar levels are in normal ranges and blood liver panels are good too.

http://www.everydiet.org/diet/low-protein-diets

I am limited to 44 grams of protein a day. Son is limited to 25 grams of protein a day. Think of a McD's small (Happy Meal) hamburger -- that is about 12 grams of protein. Half of my son's total dietary needs for the day. We Americans consume a lot of protein.

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutrition_facts.html

Edited by tex-mex

I know that I need at least a little protein with every meal or I get dizzy. Broccoli would not do it for me no matter how much I ate of it. Even a small amount of cheese, peanut butter or meat would work for me. Or a big plate of rice and peas once in a while. I'd rather eat raw veggies all the time but it won't work for my body. I don't love meat and storing and preparing it is a pain.

I would suggest looking at some of these books:

Reversing Diabetes by Julian Whitaker

Reversing Diabetes Cookbook: More Than 200 Delicious, Healthy Recipes

Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes without Drugs by Neal D. Barnard M.D.

There is also 30 days Diabetes Miracle Cookbook Stop Diabetes with an easy to follow plant based carb counting diet.

The important thing is to eat a healthy diet that resonates with you, and have a dietician who is knowledgeable to help. I would suggest you do some research into the matter, and if this dietician is not open minded enough to respect your lifestyle choices, then consult with another. There is no one size fits all approach. I would have assumed the dietician would have given you some guidelines to follow for your meal plan. According to some sources, less meat protein, and more non meat protein sources are better for diabetics.