Menu

if you are against the tea-party protests...

you do?

are you saying that Kinsa was right and Obama DOES want to curb gun ownership and supports gun bans?

Are you going to cite something on current gun control legislation?

Obama is pretty moderate on guns.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2008/jul/08/john-mccain/obama-consistently-on-the-fence/

I don't think Obama is going to ban guns. He disagreed with Bush on assault weapons and he did vote for the bill against armor piercing bullets as well as lowering the age to buy guns.

But I don't see him as particularly Liberal on guns. He has consistently stated he supports the right to bear arms. He certainly isn't doing what the Brady's want.

Edited by Sis

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen any current plans or desires on gun control legislation so I was curious.

I know what his record says.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-45

This bill is in committee in the House, but according to Snopes it will probably die there. I haven't heard the President's opinion on the bill; since it's expected to die, it's possible he's not made any statement about the bill.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-45

This bill is in committee in the House, but according to Snopes it will probably die there. I haven't heard the President's opinion on the bill; since it's expected to die, it's possible he's not made any statement about the bill.

Wow! Yeah I would think that wouldn't get very far

Thanks for the link :)

Are you going to cite something on current gun control legislation?

nope. we're not talking about "current legislation" --we're talking about what he expressed during his campaign.

I'm talking about his expressed desire: to support "reasonable" gun bans.

Obama is pretty moderate on guns.

"moderate" is irrelevant and subjective. the question was whether he was willing to CURB gun ownership.

* The first is a 1996 voter questionnaire Obama completed while running for a seat in the Illinois senate. The "Independent Voters of Illinois" asked if the candidate supported state legislation to "ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns." Obama's answer: "Yes."

so according to this, YES, he is willing to ban guns. thanks for helping to point that out.

I don't think Obama is going to ban guns. He disagreed with Bush on assault weapons and he did vote for the bill against armor piercing bullets as well as lowering the age to buy guns.

His statement above is not asking about specifics. What you think is irrelevant: we are looking for what Obama himself has SAID, PLEDGED, or supported.

But I don't see him as particularly Liberal on guns. He has consistently stated he supports the right to bear arms. He certainly isn't doing what the Brady's want.

he has consistently stated [and voted] that he supports the right to bear arms, but that he is willing to CURB gun ownership anyway via "reasonable" bans.

define "moderate" -- does that mean he is willing to curb gun ownership "just a little"???

are you going to keep dancing around the issue or simply acknowledge that yes, Kinsa was correct that Obama does want to curb gun ownership.

Are you going to link something current or not?

Sis-- this entire conversation started because YOU took issue w/ Kinsa's statement about Obama's intent to curb gun ownership. her statement was NOT about current legislation.

can you figure that much out before we go any further? please read Kinsa's statement AGAIN.

Sis-- this entire conversation started because YOU took issue w/ Kinsa's statement about Obama's intent to curb gun ownership. her statement was NOT about current legislation.

can you figure that much out before we go any further? please read Kinsa's statement AGAIN.

I did take it as current. How can we read someone's intentions if they are *not* current?

I do think it's a lot about Obama and not about these particular issues. They're not happy that their guy lost and so they see conspiracies every where they look.

That's not to say that there aren't some legitimate reasons to be concerned in this country. I abhor the deficit spending that has grown ever more out of control with each passing administration, for example.

There are some who are upset about Obama in particular, but at least for the people I know it is about policies--not about "their guy lost" (many thought, McCain? eww) or that conspiracies are around every corner.

Policies I'm upset with: deficit spending run amok, the health reform bills, the bailouts of banks and the auto industry, the stimulus package, the cash for clunkers program, CPSIA, the foolhardy policies by the Fed (et al.) that turned into our current economic woes.

Where was I the last eight years? Not paying proper attention. :( Looking back on everything that's happened in the last 8 years I'm pretty ashamed of myself for not being more attuned and objective and observant.

Finally being forced to really examine my own bank account has forced me to look out the government's spending habits. I finally started reading Cicero and Revolutionary War history. Behavior on both sides of the aisle is ridiculous. I'm an independent. My Republican-voting friends are upset with how things are going. Some of my Democrat-voting friends are upset with how things are going--including friends who voted for President Obama. I held my nose and voted for McCain. :ack2:

For the people I know (yes, a small set of anecdotal evidence), it is about the policies. The reason it looks like it is about President Obama is because instead of the wild spending slowing down and the infringements on our rights slowing down nothing really has changed on Capitol Hill.

I did take it as current. How can we read someone's intentions if they are *not* current?

um....by their campaign promises, statements about where they stand on an issue, and history of how they have supported those stances.

eta: especially when those are all RECENT.

Are you saying you don't think that what a candidate has said, done, or promised is relevant to their stated intentions??:confused:

um....by their campaign promises, statements about where they stand on an issue, and history of how they have supported those stances.

Are you saying you don't think that what a candidate has said, done, or promised is relevant to their stated intentions??:confused:

JINX :D

If you insist ---

From a non-partisan site: http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Barack_Obama_Gun_Control.htm

Obama sought moderate gun control measures, such as a 2000 bill he cosponsored to limit handgun purchases to one per month (it did not pass)

so now we have "moderate" synonymous with "limit" ---

curb:

3 : check, restraint <a price curb>

um, TO LIMIT? lol......

All I asked for was any information on current legislation. You are hammering away but you aren't addressing what I asked. All I asked for was more information and I was told to find it myself. Seeing how I was holding an infant I didn't want to.

I do disagree with her. I do feel gun threats are a lot scarier.

Edited by Sis

All I asked for was any information on current legislation. You are hammering away but you aren't addressing what I asked. All I asked for was more information and I was told to find it myself. Seeing how I was holding an infant I didn't want to.

and all we asked was if you were aware of Obama's extensive voting record and statements where he supports limiting/curbing gun ownership. That determines intent [or do you disagree? more fingers in the ears and lots of humming?]

it's a simple question: yes, you are aware of his numerous statements and actions that limit/curb gun ownership, or you are not aware of those.

or you can continue dancing around the issue.

and all we asked was if you were aware of Obama's extensive voting record and statements where he supports limiting/curbing gun ownership. That determines intent [or do you disagree? more fingers in the ears and lots of humming?]

it's a simple question: yes, you are aware of his numerous statements and actions that limit/curb gun ownership, or you are not aware of those.

or you can continue dancing around the issue.

I am aware of his record on gun control, I even provided links.

What I ASKED was if there was any current legislation. LizzyBee was kind enough to provide a link but I didn't see any comment from Obama about it. But at least I *looked*

Edited by Sis

Politicians are prone to change their minds as often as the wind changes direction. Voting records can and should be checked. I have too much to do tonight to look it up. I have no doubt that gun control is on the agenda. It just hasn't had its turn yet. The biggest evidence of this is the dramatic rise in gun and ammo sales since Obama won the election -- the public, in general, feels that it will be difficult to obtain guns and ammo in the future.

Politicians are prone to change their minds as often as the wind changes direction. Voting records can and should be checked. I have too much to do tonight to look it up. I have no doubt that gun control is on the agenda. It just hasn't had its turn yet. The biggest evidence of this is the dramatic rise in gun and ammo sales since Obama won the election -- the public, in general, feels that it will be difficult to obtain guns and ammo in the future.

That is true, that gun bill being introduced is just ridiculous. There is no way I am ok with being fingerprinted in order to keep our personal property. I just cannot imagine it passing. The blue dogs won't vote for it.

Edited by Sis

:confused:

Well, I love you, Audrey!

astrid (not a Communist, but really unsure of how to interpret this post)

It means Dana thinks I'm an a$$ and now she understands that part of her hatred for me is because I'm a communist. She just went the cryptic route.

Which is fine with me. I actually had to un-ignore her to figure out what you were posting about.

That is true, that gun bill being introduced is just ridiculous. There is no way I am ok with being fingerprinted in order to keep our personal property. I just cannot imagine it passing. The blue dogs won't vote for it.

again: this isn't about bluedogs or current legislation: this is about what Obama WANTS or iNTENDS to do.

his record on gun control includes statements and actions of support to CURB gun ownership.

So instead of saying "when did he say that" you are saying that you did indeed already KNOW he had previously stated his intent/want to curb gun ownership?

again: this isn't about bluedogs or current legislation: this is about what Obama WANTS or iNTENDS to do.

his record on gun control includes statements and actions of support to CURB gun ownership.

So instead of saying "when did he say that" you are saying that you did indeed already KNOW he had previously stated his intent/want to curb gun ownership?

Next time why don't I just ask you what I mean when I post since you are the expert on my intent. Forget me clarifying and restating what I was saying several times. YOU obviously know more about what I mean than me.

Edited by Sis

It means Dana thinks I'm an a$$ and now she understands that part of her hatred for me is because I'm a communist. She just went the cryptic route.

Which is fine with me. I actually had to un-ignore her to figure out what you were posting about.

You are right, sometimes it is just better to ignore than engage with some.

I'm not entirely sure why this is becoming such an issue of contention.

Someone said the sign which read "I'm not carrying a gun - this time" scared them.

I stated that it was even SCARIER that Obama wants to curb gun ownership.

Obama has never demonstrated any other position on this issue. So why are we bantering about this?

Search me.

If he tries to get that HR 45 bill passed I would be happy to join those that I agree with on the issue to disagree with him

http://www.freedomworks.org/about/board-of-directors No national figures??/Please peruse the board of directors and staff. Dick Armey not a national figure?

Armey is very late out of the box. However, his involvement would make sense b/c he has always been a straight shooter & honest conservative. He is the real thing & is not hypocritical if he is becoming active in this. He is a common citizen now & not in DC for many years also.

There are even a few honestly, true to their convictions conservatives that have spoken & joined in a few rallies (including 9/12).... but there is NO central figure. NO Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.... No Pat Buchanon or Rush Limbaugh... No Ron Paul or Al Gore leading the charge & others jumping in this wagon.

Some politicians are jumping into the wagon that already started rolling by common folks. Some are even hanging on by fingernails b/c they really don't belong & can't muster the courage to jump in.

It is a bottom up movement and refreshing to see.

Where did they say that?

They haven't directly talked of guns directly in the past few months. They have mentioned or talked of certain types of bullets that would eliminate the ammo needed for many common type of guns... common ones/not weird ones. But DH is a better resource of knowledge on this than I am. I just keep my concealed weapon permit current & hope I hit what I aim at... should I ever be forced to do so by an intruder or attacker!

Edited by Dirtroad

They haven't directly talked of guns. They are talking of certain types of bullets that would eliminate the ammo needed for many common type of guns... common ones/not weird ones.

sure he has- Obama has numerous statements on record supporting complete gun bans, regardless the type of gun. Sis can't figure that out.

I'm not entirely sure why this is becoming such an issue of contention.

Someone said the sign which read "I'm not carrying a gun - this time" scared them.

I stated that it was even SCARIER that Obama wants to curb gun ownership.

Obama has never demonstrated any other position on this issue. So why are we bantering about this?

we're bantering because Sis won't answer a direct, simple question and instead continues to deflect. fingers in ears.......la-la-la-la

Edited by Peek a Boo

Most of us try to predict future behavior based on past actions. Do you not take into account past voting records when listening to a politician campaign? :001_huh:

Boy, I do. They can say all the sweet, ear tickling words they want to get my vote... but I want to see what they REALLY think by what they have said (when not campaigning), how they have voted, and who they are big buddies with! Looking back gives me many clues about where they will be looking in the future.

Remember Ted Kennedy.... looking at his life told you exactly where he was, who he was, and how he woudl have continued to vote had he lived longer.

Obama sought moderate gun control measures, such as a 2000 bill he cosponsored to limit handgun purchases to one per month (it did not pass)

so now we have "moderate" synonymous with "limit" ---

curb:

3 : check, restraint <a price curb>

um, TO LIMIT? lol......

Ah, the definitions are the TRUE KEY to unlocking the mystery of these guys. They redefine everything. Community service even took a new change recently. That is why we MUST teach our children to read well, write well, and understand the attempts to manipulate common language!

Assault weapons is another name game. They were eliminated MANY years ago... but the name keeps appearing. Some even call "ugly guns' assault weapons b/c of ignorance of the real definition. But, when the definitions keep changing - who knows!

Ah, the definitions are the TRUE KEY to unlocking the mystery of these guys. They redefine everything. Community service even took a new change recently. That is why we MUST teach our children to read well, write well, and understand the attempts to manipulate common language!

Assault weapons is another name game. They were eliminated MANY years ago... but the name keeps appearing. Some even call "ugly guns' assault weapons b/c of ignorance of the real definition. But, when the definitions keep changing - who knows!

yup. we addressed this a while back:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53528

sure he has- Obama has numerous statements on record supporting complete gun bans, regardless the type of gun. Sis can't figure that out.

hey Peek, I meant lately. I tried to clarify by editing that post. He plays the game of words. Vote it one way, talk another... then try to ease around to the backdoor and accomplish the first directive but never admit you wanted to do so. :ack2: Boy, I get dizzy even trying to think this way. How can they do it daily?:lol:

Went to the link. I guess a "ban" means not "directly" (we will take baby steps and talk big & supportive) but we can let that old fat frog get comfy in the warm water & slowly turn up the heat (bill by bill, law by law, small change by small change) and before he knows it... dead frog and no guns allowed even to hunt a duck... haha. Words do have meanings... even if politicians like to cheat and change them.

And gun ownership doesn't mean huntin' to most of us... in case that needs to be defined. I know the terms get muddy in that context too.

Gosh, even the word LIE has a new meaning. Call someone anything that implies liar & you are okay.... say it directly and you are a thug. Say it to particular people and you are a racists. LIE has grown many new meanings this week due to our "great leaders" on both sides of the aisle. Those who talk & those who hide & won't defend.

Edited by Dirtroad

Your words, not mine. I don't hate you at all. I just wrote that your statement that you are a registered communist explains a lot of things, Re: your viewpoint.

Please feel free to put me on ignore again.

:confused:

The first tea party was February 27th, 2008 almost a year before he took office. http://biggovernment.com/category/tea-party/

Wait... Rick Santelli gave his tea party rant in February 2009, which started the first wave. I know because we were at the first round, largely due to his inspiration.

That said, I was calling my legislators and throwing fits at them before Obama was even elected over Bush and Pelosi's stupid bailouts. That's around when I woke up. In fact, I snapped to attention.

I feel that the people we see out protesting in these "tea parties" are only doing it because they feel that they have been disenfranchised. They aren't doing it because of a position of "right" or "wrong" it is simply a position of feeling powerless.

No, this is not true! I protested on tax day but not this time. These people are unhappy with this administration's policies. I did not vote for Pres. Obama, but on election night when he won, I was happy for our country and hoped that he would be a moderate democrat. Then came the bailouts (which I was opposed to when Bush did them last fall) and that hope came to an end. These protesters have contacted their representatives but they are not listening or are outnumbered in Congress by those that agree w/these policies. Do those that oppose these policies just sit back and shut up until the next election? That's not what those on the left did during Bush's terms and that's not what any American that values what they believe should do. It's our civic duty to get involved and make our voices heard.

I know it's been posted already but, Hilary was right when she said:

I'm sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We need to stand up and say we're Americans, and we have the right to debate and disagree with any administration.

You could insert "racist" or "disenfranchised" for the words "not patriotic" in this case of those criticizing the tea party protests.

Boy, I do. They can say all the sweet, ear tickling words they want to get my vote... but I want to see what they REALLY think by what they have said (when not campaigning), how they have voted, and who they are big buddies with! Looking back gives me many clues about where they will be looking in the future.

Remember Ted Kennedy.... looking at his life told you exactly where he was, who he was, and how he woudl have continued to vote had he lived longer.

Might want to do and INTENDS to do are two very different things. Obama does not intend to outlaw guns because the blue dogs won't go along with it and he knows it. He may be more liberal than moderate Democrats from a personal standpoint but from a professional standpoint he is first and foremost an intellectual. This isn't an issue he's going to press.

He calls himself a "uniter" and that is exactly what would annoy the blue dogs. Of course, I do realize Democrats don't always do what is smart, they did nominate Kerry. *shrug* So no, I don't always consider the two to be the same thing. He isn't a lone Senator anymore, he is the leader of the Democrat party and they are going to be pretty pissed if he shoots them in the foot.

Will he ban assault weapons? Maybe, but I don't see it happening this term. JMHO.

Edited by Sis

That said, I was calling my legislators and throwing fits at them before Obama was even elected over Bush and Pelosi's stupid bailouts. That's around when I woke up. In fact, I snapped to attention.

:iagree: Many conservatives were alseep until the Bush bailout happened and the banking meltdown. By then his term was practically over. I never did like the way Bush spent so much money and if it were McCain doing all this spending and increasing taxes then I'd still be out protesting. I wasn't thrilled with him as a candidate anyways as he was going to be just another Bush and I didn't want that.

:iagree: Many conservatives were alseep until the Bush bailout happened and the banking meltdown. By then his term was practically over. I never did like the way Bush spent so much money and if it were McCain doing all this spending and increasing taxes then I'd still be out protesting. I wasn't thrilled with him as a candidate anyways as he was going to be just another Bush and I didn't want that.

I'm really curious as to how many of the protesters believe as you do. Texas is a funny place. The larger areas are full of liberal folk, but gosh when we go back home (small town), it's quite different. My FIL and most everybody in the extended family vote republican. It's like rooting for the Cowboys. A good portion of my family can't tell you anything about policy unless it's on Fox News. A lot of times it is something that was circulating in an email that had already been debunked, but it's gospel.

I have a few republicans friends who vote libertarian.

My grandfather who is 85, worked for the government as an auditor, is a fiscal conservative, but has voted democrat since '94. He said the republican party isn't fiscally responsible any more than the dems, but he's also socially liberal, so the dems get the vote. He also has an aversion to Newt Gingrich and that swayed him heavily in the '90's. He was excited about McCain, but Palin...

But honesty, the majority are the ones like my FIL. If FIL found out that dh was a liberal, he would be devastated.

Your blogger has her dates confused.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/29283701

Thanks. I will edit. I wasn't sure about her date, hence the question mark. I remember being involved in the whole Ron Paul revolution long before he was even putting his hat in the ring but couldn't remember the exact timeline for when it went from Ron Paul to The Campaign for Liberty to the whole tea-party movement.

I am a Libertarian for the record. I ave been fed up with the whole government and direction of our country for at least 4 elections maybe as many as 6.