Menu

If you were an American and now live in Canada

hi -

canadians encourage dual citizenship, so if you want to add in canadian citizenship you can do it after a period of time. america, however, reserves the right to deem that you forfeited your american citizenship by becoming the citizen of another country. that said, my dsil did it years ago, and still holds both. my dad did, too, but he chose to renounce his american citizenship.

hth,

ann

Will you please share your story with me? Why you moved, how you got permission, if you changed citizenship, etc. Thanks!

I went to Ontario for a 3 1/2 month drama training school, using a student visa, and met my dh-to-be, who is Canadian. Needless to say, I extended my stay at the training school (volunteer staff, who use the student visa to stay). We got engaged a little over a year later and I went back to the States to prepare for a Stateside wedding. We researched and found it would be easier to get married first and try to get me into Canada as a visitor. That worked, and from Canada I applied for landed immigrant status, with a spouse as my sponsor. While waiting for all that (a year long process), I obtained a work visa to be able to stay in Canada. Started working, and got my landed immigrant status a year later. Once I had my landed immigrant status for, oh, 6 or 7 years, I applied for citizenship (another year long process) and got it. I have not renounced my American citizenship and have in fact obtained American citizenship for my kids, who are Canadian-born. So three of us are dual citizens.

Are you thinking of moving here? I like living here - Canada is quite different from the States and I appreciate the perspective here on a lot of things. However, I do miss living in the States even though it has been almost 17 years - I miss the warmer weather, being able to travel from city to city quite easily (grew up and lived on the Eastern seaboard), and my family and relatives. But I do like Canada and have made friends here.

Edited by Colleen in NS

Colleen, we were just in your neck of the woods! Took the CAT to Yarmouth (ick! rough crossing!) and spent a couple of days in Halifax and then a couple of days in Port Hawkesbury doing the Cabot Trail. Gorgeous. My mom's family is from Antigonish and PEI and I could SO easily move to Halifax-- we all fell in love with that city!

astrid

I don't think that is true.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

According to this one would have to do something serious or specifically renounce their citizenship.

Yes, you have to petition to renounce your citizenship formally. I did that.

Short version of my story: met Canadian farmer of my dreams, emigrated, wouldn't leave if you paid me.

I did grow up in ND, bordering Canada. Trips to Canada were no big deal to us, Manitoba and Saskatchewan are very much like the state I grew up in, very rural and similiar climate, love of hockey, etc. My dh grew up in a farm in MT that is only 12 miles from the Canadian border, and my father in law is actually working up in Canada now doing custom combining before he combines his own land. My dh also has an aunt who has lived in Canada for 50 years, her husband got a job there in the lumber industry I think and they moved right after they were married. As far as I know they along with their children have dual citizenship, but I am not sure about the specifics. I just know that his aunt is still a US citizen and almost all of her children live in the US now. Anywho, I've known a lot of Canadians in my day, as quite a few went to the college I attended, also in ND.

In college, we used to drive 3 hours to Winnipeg for the weekend, as the drinking age was 18. It was a lot of fun. But that was 10 years ago before you needed a passport to get back, and now I think they have changed the laws so that the drinking age is 21 for American citizens, 18 for Canadians. Either way, I really liked Winnipeg, it is different enough from America to be surprising, but not enough to really be "foreign" if you know what I mean.

Colleen, we were just in your neck of the woods! Took the CAT to Yarmouth (ick! rough crossing!) and spent a couple of days in Halifax and then a couple of days in Port Hawkesbury doing the Cabot Trail. Gorgeous. My mom's family is from Antigonish and PEI and I could SO easily move to Halifax-- we all fell in love with that city!

astrid

You were just 45 minutes from me when you were in Halifax. I swear, people think they can get away with visitng our province and not dropping by for tea and cheesecake...

:)

OH! There's tea and cheesecake? Next time, for SURE! :001_smile:

Seriously, I didn't even think of looking anyone up from here--- would have LOVED to! We adore your province!

One question--- I am in desperate need of a recipe for oatcakes like the ones sold in Tim Horton's. Desperate, I tell you. The steeped tea I can do at home, but oh, those oatcakes! Yes. I am desperate!

astrid

Dh and I have been thinking of going elsewhere for a long time, and lately Canada has seemed more attractive than Europe. But considering that the only time I've spent in Canada was a half hour driving around Windsor, Ontario, twenty years ago, I don't have much to base my decision on LOL! I'm hoping to get there sometime. A friend of mine went to Montreal and Quebec last year and told me I would love Montreal.

Thanks everyone for your info!

Montreal is neat. You can get weird and wacky, AND stately and serene all in one place. It is quite the cultural hodge-podge. Quebec City is just beautiful if you go for architecture and history.

Toronto is... meh. Like any big city. Nothing special. Some of the cities around it are nice though.

Winnipeg. Sucks. But I say that with love.

I love Saskatoon and Regina. Think -- little big cities.

I haven't been further west than that.

astrid

I know, you told me - remember? :) We lived in Dartmouth (right across the harbour from Halifax) for many years and boy, do I miss it.

OH! There's tea and cheesecake? Next time, for SURE! :001_smile:

Seriously, I didn't even think of looking anyone up from here--- would have LOVED to! We adore your province!

One question--- I am in desperate need of a recipe for oatcakes like the ones sold in Tim Horton's. Desperate, I tell you. The steeped tea I can do at home, but oh, those oatcakes! Yes. I am desperate!

astrid

Tea, yes. I learned to drink tea when I moved here. And you definitely should look us up next time - Sweetpeach and mamapjama are around here, too. There are a couple of other Nova Scotians on the board, but not very often.

Did you see my post a few days ago, begging you to bring me a dozen Kreme filled Dunkin Donuts for me the next time you come????? And informing you that there ARE Tim Horton's shops in CT? There is at least one in Plainville, near Hartford - I had to do a double take when I saw it a few years ago - at first glance I didn't notice it - until I realized I was in the States, several hours from the Cdn. border.

Mrs. MacLeod's Oatcakes:

3 c. rolled oats

3 c. flour

1 c. white sugar

3/4 c. cold water

2 t. salt

1 t. baking soda

1 1/2 c. lard (:lol:) (marg. or butter will suffice)

Combine dry ingredients. Work in lard as if for pastry. Moisten with water. Roll thin using more rolled oats on a board. Cut into squares (diamonds, rectangles, triangles, whatever). Bake for 15 min. at 350 F/175 C.

From the Canadian Homestead Cookbook. Don't know it it's Tim's recipe, but it's a good one! You can also dip them when cool into melted chocolate chips - yum!!!!

Dh and I have been thinking of going elsewhere for a long time, and lately Canada has seemed more attractive than Europe. But considering that the only time I've spent in Canada was a half hour driving around Windsor, Ontario, twenty years ago, I don't have much to base my decision on LOL! I'm hoping to get there sometime. A friend of mine went to Montreal and Quebec last year and told me I would love Montreal.

Thanks everyone for your info!

You might like Montreal, but its province of Quebec is a little different from the rest. Do some research into that. We lived in Quebec for a year, and (no offence to our Quebec friends here) I did not like the gov't regulations there for things like health care, vehicle insurance, driver's licenses - and then there is the minor fact that Quebec is the most difficult (next to impossible - check out HSLDA Canada website) to homeschool in. You can pm CleoQc with questions. You could always live in Ottawa and then visit Montreal which is only a two hour drive away.

Anyway, unless you have close relatives in Canada, you'd have to apply for jobs or school to have a chance to immigrate here.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Dartmouth! LOVELY. And you know, tragic as it was (is) the history of the explosion is just fascinating!

A billion thank you's for the Oatcake recipe! My mouth is watering!

No, I didn't see your post, but you can bet I"ll bring you a trunkload of Dunkin Donuts next time! Tim Horton's? In Plainville? Oh, I"m SO there! I've got a conference in Southington next month-- I'm going early and stopping at Tim's! Though I may not make it to the conference; I"d have to stay at Tim's for lunch, too!

Hugs for all your help!

astrid

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Dartmouth! LOVELY. And you know, tragic as it was (is) the history of the explosion is just fascinating!

Wow, you were just a stone's throw from our old house!!!!!!! Did ya check out Alderney Gate Library on the waterfront, in the same building as the ferry terminal?? It's my favourite branch. And our old house really was "old" - built in 1888 and it actually survived the explosion because the whole row of houses on that street were solidly built.

Really? So one couldn't just move there if they were self-employed?

How long does it take to get approved for dual citizenship?

Of course you can. There are many ways to apply for entry - worker's permit (if you have a job waiting) visitor's visa (but you can't work on that), student visa (if you are enrolled in an accredited post-secondary institution), or as a permanent resident. If you have no family ties to sponsor you, and no job waiting, you might still qualify if you can prove intent to establish a business (i.e. purchase a business, farm, etc.)

You cannot apply for citizenship until you have first been accepted as a permanent resident, and then you must have been a permanent resident residing in Canada for 3 full years (1,095 days -- trips outside Canada count against that).

I would suggest visiting the official Immigration Canada website. All details are there.

That's it! I'll just apply for a grad program there and that's how we'll get in LOL!

But that won't help your family get in, just you. Just like in the US, entry is not automatic for families. You all have to apply separately, even your children (although, generally, minor children are qualified or denied under their parents status). If you are serious, you really need to check out Immigration Canada. That is the official site.

Of course you can. There are many ways to apply for entry - worker's permit (if you have a job waiting) visitor's visa (but you can't work on that), student visa (if you are enrolled in an accredited post-secondary institution), or as a permanent resident. If you have no family ties to sponsor you, and no job waiting, you might still qualify if you can prove intent to establish a business (i.e. purchase a business, farm, etc.)

You cannot apply for citizenship until you have first been accepted as a permanent resident, and then you must have been a permanent resident residing in Canada for 3 full years (1,095 days -- trips outside Canada count against that).

I would suggest visiting the official Immigration Canada website. All details are there.

Thanks!

Really? So one couldn't just move there if they were self-employed?

How long does it take to get approved for dual citizenship?

I was just throwing out a few ways to get in - Audrey filled in with some more. I just found the student visa and spousal sponsorship for landed immigrant status rather easy compared to other ways I read about (not that I married just to get into Canada, LOL! I had no intention of being here beyond my initial 3.5 months.)

And it's not dual citizenship you get approved for, it's Canadian citizenship. Any other citizenships are between you and that nation.

That's it! I'll just apply for a grad program there and that's how we'll get in LOL!

Ya know, Nova Scotia is known as Canada's education province...

http://www.novascotiaeducation.com/AbsPage.aspx?id=1015&siteid=1&lang=1

But that won't help your family get in, just you. Just like in the US, entry is not automatic for families. You all have to apply separately, even your children (although, generally, minor children are qualified or denied under their parents status). If you are serious, you really need to check out Immigration Canada. That is the official site.

Really? Hmm, guess I have some reading to do. Thanks!

I immigrated to Canada five years ago, and I was a whiny, whiny girl for a looooong time.

And suddenly I love it here. I just don't adjust to change very well.

It is harder to immigrate if it's not based on marriage, etc., but it's doable. You just need to jump through a ton of hoops.

True, but I've found that since they re-vamped the Immigration Canada website, those hoops are more clear. They even have charts outlining the points system and what qualifies you for those points, so you can see if you've got a good shot at it or not.

When I emigrated over a decade ago, it wasn't as readily transparent.

If I remember correctly, I think you have to have a considerable amount of $ for backing when you move a business up there? Or maybe that was just Quebec? We looked into it 4 years ago, but at the time moving our business was cost prohibitive.

I still entertain dreams of it... PEI, *drool*

If I remember correctly, I think you have to have a considerable amount of $ for backing when you move a business up there? Or maybe that was just Quebec? We looked into it 4 years ago, but at the time moving our business was cost prohibitive.

I still entertain dreams of it... PEI, *drool*

Yes... it is a lot... more than a couple hundred thousand CDN, I believe. I'm pretty sure it's stated on the website. I can't recall the exact amount just now.

I know many dual citizens and I have never heard of any problems with it. In fact my two children are dual citizens. Maybe it used to be that way and is not anymore?

hi wendy -

ours are dual as well. we were advised to apply for them before they turned 18, as then they could not be deemed to have made the choice.

fwiw,

ann