Menu

Okay I hate posting this but I have a question about underarm odor.

My husband thinks I'm crazy but in the last month or two I have noticed that my anti-perspirent doesn't seem to be able control odor (at least odor I smell). No one else appears to smell me but it is driving me crazy.

I have never, ever had this problem and am not an excessive sweater although I do notice it more when I'm hot.

Is this an age thing? (I'm 44.) I'm not thrilled at purchasing the 10 dollar clinical strength products but would if I knew they'd solve this problem.

Any ideas?

Without the fine cosmetic companies, we'd be a stinky family. :)

Switching brands was my first thought -- I can not use the same brand of deodorant two tubes in a row. I alternate between Secret and Degree. In the summer, I do use the clinical strength at night, as recommended, and then the "matching" regular deodorant after my shower in the morning (in other words, if I'm using Secret Clinical, I get the powder fresh scent, and use regular Secret Powder fresh scent in the morning).

In addition, I "freshen up" during the day with Arm & Hammer unscented deodorant. I like the baking soda.

In the winter, I can use Arm & Hammer by itself, I usually get the powder fresh scent then.

Also, for some reason, any scent other than powder seems to turn on me.

HTH.

Without the fine cosmetic companies, we'd be a stinky family. :)

Switching brands was my first thought -- I can not use the same brand of deodorant two tubes in a row. I alternate between Secret and Degree. In the summer, I do use the clinical strength at night, as recommended, and then the "matching" regular deodorant after my shower in the morning (in other words, if I'm using Secret Clinical, I get the powder fresh scent, and use regular Secret Powder fresh scent in the morning).

In addition, I "freshen up" during the day with Arm & Hammer unscented deodorant. I like the baking soda.

In the winter, I can use Arm & Hammer by itself, I usually get the powder fresh scent then.

Also, for some reason, any scent other than powder seems to turn on me.

HTH.

Thanks for these thoughts though. I went out and bought a different brand to see if that helps. If it doesn't I might try your suggestion . . . clinical at night and regular during the day.

Do you eat a lot of meat? Meat eaters tend to have more body odor than vegetarians (or so I've read).

Having too much yeast can cause body odor (there's a questonaire at wholeapproach.com)

You might try mixing baking soda, corn starch, about 1T ground up dried lavendar, and a few drops of lavender oil together and let it set a few days. Then sprinkle it under your arms in place of deoderant. The lavender will help kill germs that cause odor.

If you've been using the same brand for a long time, that could be the problem. A few years ago, I had to stop using Secret (after using it for several years) because it seemed to stop working but I just switched to another common brand and all was fine.

:iagree:

My husband thinks I'm crazy but in the last month or two I have noticed that my anti-perspirent doesn't seem to be able control odor (at least odor I smell). No one else appears to smell me but it is driving me crazy.

I have never, ever had this problem and am not an excessive sweater although I do notice it more when I'm hot.

Is this an age thing? (I'm 44.) I'm not thrilled at purchasing the 10 dollar clinical strength products but would if I knew they'd solve this problem.

Any ideas?

Yes, it can be an age thing. It happened to me during perimenopause, but then calmed down. A couple friends had it too. I could have just showered and used deoderant and a couple hours later, it was really bad. I just had to keep reapplying.

Ok, this is going to sound weird but have you tried going without deodorant? I actually don't wear anti-perspirant/deordorant much and I found that wearing it actually caused a mildewy smell with me. I experimented much and determined that the deodorant was the problem. :glare: Being the conspiracy theorist that I am, I have decided that this was by design.

Edited by KidsHappen
got carried away with my "E"s.

Do you eat a lot of meat? Meat eaters tend to have more body odor than vegetarians (or so I've read).

Having too much yeast can cause body odor (there's a questonaire at wholeapproach.com)

You might try mixing baking soda, corn starch, about 1T ground up dried lavendar, and a few drops of lavender oil together and let it set a few days. Then sprinkle it under your arms in place of deoderant. The lavender will help kill germs that cause odor.

In fact a vegetarian diet would suit me fine (and we often do eat meatless). Even when we do eat meat it's usually in small quantities.

Yeast . . . well I do love bread and bake my own. That would be very sad! :)

Yes, it can be an age thing. It happened to me during perimenopause, but then calmed down. A couple friends had it too. I could have just showered and used deoderant and a couple hours later, it was really bad. I just had to keep reapplying.

I'll try some of the other suggestions but maybe this is a perimenopause thingy.

Ok, this is going to sound weird but have you tried going without deodorant? I actually don't wear anti-perspirant/deordorant much and I found that wearing it actually caused a mildewy smell with me. I experimented much and determined that the deodorant was the problem. :glare: Being the conspiracy theorist that I am, I have decided that this was by design.

I mean you might be right but I'm kind of afraid of ditching the product all together. Maybe I'll have to try that on a day when I'm not around anyone (which probably won't be anytime soon!:001_smile: Or maybe when I'm just around my kids. I'm sure they'd be honest with me!:lol:)

I mean you might be right but I'm kind of afraid of ditching the product all together. Maybe I'll have to try that on a day when I'm not around anyone (which probably won't be anytime soon!:001_smile: Or maybe when I'm just around my kids. I'm sure they'd be honest with me!:lol:)

Yeah, ask your dd not your dss. There is this whole smell thing that goes on with a related person of the same sex and if she is anything like most of my dds, you can pretty much count on her to be honest. :tongue_smilie:

You might try, after your shower (but not after a fresh shave!!) swabbing your armpits with alcohol. Kills the funky odor-causing stuff.

Listerine works as well, plus as an added bonus you will smell minty fresh all day. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Oh, this works for shirts too although you might want to go with some color other than blue for this one. Come to think of it you would probably want to go color free for this one.

Edited by KidsHappen