Menu

How do you prep your child to take communion?

We don't have "classes" etc at our church (we are Reformed Baptist.) Dd9 (very mature for age, and academically advanced) has been a Christian since age 3 and is expressing interest in taking communion. She is familiar with what the Bible says about it and why we do it, but I'd like to flesh it out for her a little more in an age-appropriate way.

She says she is already doing the "three R's" like our pastor explained-remembering, repenting, and rejoicing-while the elements are being passed out. I do sense that maybe her maturity level is not quite ready so we'll probably wait some, but in the meantime are there any books or resources that you've used (geared toward a child) that have helped you discuss communion more fully with your child?

Well, she will say things like-"I was praying during the time they passed it out and ran out of things to say, so I was just asking God how things are in Heaven, etc." We talked about how that was fine, etc. And she's wondering if people will be watching her, and saying sometimes she just likes to listen to when everyone crunches on the wafer together because it sounds like rain, etc. It's little things like that-totally age-appropriate. She seems to be enjoying the service, just in her own way, and I don't want her to move too fast, I guess.

It's hard for me to know, since I didn't have a solid Christian upbringing, so I have as many questions as answers about when is the right time, etc.

My answers are based on our theological understanding of communion.

1. The bread that is passed out helps us to remember the body of Christ. Christ was sinless - and had no "leaven" of sin in Him. When the bread is passed we meditate on how Jesus was the lamb of God without sin or blemish.

2. The wine/juice that is passed out helps us to remember the work of Christ on the cross. The blood of Christ satisfied God's consequence for sin - death. When the wine/juice is passed we meditate on how Jesus satisfied God's requirements for sin and allows us to have a relationship with Him.

In our family we want our children to have the maturity/understanding of what we believe that the Bible teaches about communion.

We also teach our children to confess their sins before communion.

1 Corinthians 11:23 - 32

23For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread;

24and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me."

25In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me."

26For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes.

27Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord.

28But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup.

29For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly.

30For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep.

31But if we judged ourselves rightly, we would not be judged.

32But when we are judged, we are disciplined by the Lord so that we will not be condemned along with the world.

The person needs to be baptized and understand what communion means. It sounds like your dd already understands communion.

For me with my kids, they need to show an interest in the service. That means no more coloring pages, they have to follow the service, sing the songs, etc. They still go to Sunday school so they miss the sermon time.

Now confirmation is different, not something you have in a Baptist church at all. My older dds are about to go through the classes and there was a meeting with our pastor so I know basically what he's going to go over with them : the Lord's Prayer (way to pray), the Apostle's Creed (way to believe) and the 10 Commandments (way to live). Of course there will be more than just knowing what these say. But that will give you a start on what my church believes.

What age do kids normally start participating in communion? If there aren't many other kids, could you ask your pastor? As a reference, Catholics make their first communion at the end of 2nd grade when most are 8yo. It's very rare that a child do it any earlier and it can be later if they aren't mature enough or haven't attended catechism for 2 years. HTH!

Your daughter sounds like mine. K was baptized the day after her 9th birthday. She could explain everything to me with a 9yo wisdom. She does not/will not understand it the same as her older sisters, her father or I do. But she was ready. I was reluctant because she is so young, but my husband said if she is old enough to expain in front of the church why she should be baptised (a requirement at our church), she is old enough for communion. I agreed.

Linda

Our church leaves it up to parental discretion-in general, any believer is welcome to participate in sharing Communion.

These responses have been very interesting! It's eye-opening to see the differences among churches, families, etc. I think I'm going to get the recommended books and pray some more, maybe talk to our pastor too, but I think he'd leave it up to us (and we have only been there not quite a year, so he doesn't know dd that well yet.)

Thank you to all who commented!

Adding my 2 cents--

My kids were baptised as infants, and we allowed them to receive as young children. We call it Jesus Bread and Jesus Wine, so they know it is very special. We believe it is more than a memorial; we believe in the holy mystery of the Real Presence--not explained as transubstantiation, but not just ordinary bread and wine. I would quietly ask all my kids "Is your heart ready for Jesus Bread and Jesus Wine?" just before we went up to receive. I figure how they get ready to meet Jesus in this special and Holy way is between them and God.

My dd9 was in church with us as a 2 or 3 year old (hard to remember!) one Easter (I think it was Easter...:D). I was in the pew waiting to go forward for communion and I just wondered if she was ready to receive. We all go up to the rail in our church, to receive a blessing if not receiving communion. When we got to the rail, she put up her little hands, just like that, and Dh (who's a priest) placed the Bread into them and she ate. She drank from the cup as it was given to her by the Eucharistic minister. It was a moment where God was so present--neither my husband nor I had discussed it previously, but we were both on the same page, so to speak, and so was our dd! It stands as touchstone in my life, when I know my spirit responded to the Holy Spirit.

Who can truly understand the great mystery of the Eucharistic feast? I say, let the little children come to him.

requires that the child make a public profession of faith. This is preceeded by being interviewed by the Session (we're Presbyterian) to assure the child is ready.

I would think since you're Baptist, that it would follow being baptised. What is your church's requirements?

:iagree: We attend a PCA Presbyterian Church but held our beliefs on Believers Baptism. So, when our children were ready for baptism, one of our church elders interviewed them to assure they were ready in the same sense as the Presbyterians do with a child who was baptized as an infant. Then, we had my Mom's Baptist pastor allow them a a public profession & immediate baptism in the river. (our former pastor would have baptized them himself, but the current one would not - it was not a denominational issue but the pastors)

The following communion, they participated. Communion is for believers and our church takes it very seriously. It doesn't depend upon age or level, etc. Christ says "do this in remembrance of me...." and if you are a believer, you are called to the table to reflect, consider, and remember.