Menu

Who else is on their first day of new year?

We are on our first day, and it's going pretty well so far. The children helped me draw up the new schedule, so they know what they are supposed to be doing. I felt very emotionally unprepared and still burned out (didn't really get better on this point over the summer), AND we are just back from a trip, so I was dreading today, but so far, so good.

We started out lightly. 21ds (special needs) left at 7:42 for his first day of the year for his job training program. 13dd (also special needs) will start in the middle school next week.

12dd and I got through Math (CLE), Lanugage Arts (CLE), Bible (http://www.positiveaction.org) and Literature (ACE). That was our goal for today.

I figured we would start with those 4 today and then add in Social Studies, Science and Spelling.

We did some light schooling during the summer, but we started our new year today, with our new themes. It has gone very well, and the kids are glad to have history and science back (didn't do them during summer). I am so glad we are using workboxes, because that is making things run more smoothly. (We started that during the summer). I'm still waiting on a few curriculum items in the mail, but I'm able to manage without them for now.

Yes, I am glad for a new year, and am encouraged that it will be a great year!

I was planning to start tomorrow (that is when the ps kids start), but DH suggested we have orientation day today. We started with the Pledge of Allegiance, and then we changed the days on our calendar, and added birthdays and special days on it. We also looked at all of our curriculum and when we will do each subject. It only took about 1 1/2 hrs, but they are looking forward to starting their work Tomorrow. They had about an hour of free time before lunch, and then we went for a walk to a nearby playground. We will take pictures when dh comes home.

Sue

I'm getting push-back from everyone. The 11 year old laid on his bed reading instead of getting started on his math. The 8 year old pretends not to understand her math problems (minutes after clearly understanding it). The 5 year old is the most stubborn person I know -- big problems with obedience. The 3 year old -- well, at least he has an excuse (just being 3). This is our seventh year of homeschooling, and I sure do wish I could have a sabbatical.

Rant over.

Not yet. Here school is back next Tuesday and since we still have PT three times a week, 4 doctor appts, and one blood test to do this week, I decided to wait. Right now, my youngest is doing math to "Boogie Oogie Oogie" on the Party Favorites channel and she has history from last year to do then she will go swimming. Older one still is doing a lot of last years work and is on her last American Novel- THe Great Gatsby. Beowulf will be next week, along with Bio and Life Science, respectively. My classes I teach start next Thursday.

Yes, and I will have to admit that I actually started my son's first-grade year by (really uncharacteristically for me -- I'm not terrifically emotional) bursting into melodramatic tears, sobbing loudly, and begging my husband to just let me send the boy to the completely inadequate public school. :glare: He provoked me. Seriously.

I suppose the school year can't go downhill much from there. In fact, the day has gotten much better so far.

Nealy

mama to Thales, 6; Lydia, 3; and Odin, 8 months

Yes, and I will have to admit that I actually started my son's first-grade year by (really uncharacteristically for me -- I'm not terrifically emotional) bursting into melodramatic tears, sobbing loudly, and begging my husband to just let me send the boy to the completely inadequate public school. :glare: He provoked me. Seriously.

I suppose the school year can't go downhill much from there. In fact, the day has gotten much better so far.

Nealy

mama to Thales, 6; Lydia, 3; and Odin, 8 months

Nealy - call me or PM me if you need to. You can do this!

First day here! I've changed up our schedule to be more accommodating of our two toddlers. I'm proud of myself that we actually got through everything I had planned for today and I wasn't a stressed-out witchy mommy. :tongue_smilie: We went on a nature walk this afternoon, which was really fun. I'm planning on doing that once a week now instead of never. ;)