Menu

After 100 Easy Lessons......what????

mrsrevmeg

Funnix level 2 starts right where 100 EL leaves off. It's by the same author.

http://www.funnix.com

I See Sam is a several sets of readers that gradually (and I do mean gradually, not like Bob Books) increase in difficulty by adding more code. Your ds would definitely be ready for at least set 4 (ARI-1).

http://www.iseesam.com (this website has the sets for $30 and each book has the new code listed at the beginning)

http://www.3rsplus.com (this website has the sets for $20, but the new code isn't listed at the beginning)

We did Alphaphonics along with the Bob books. By the time we reached the end of Alphaphonics most of my children read pretty fluently and were ready to go on to regular books. We followed up with the Writing Road to Reading for a solid spelling formation.

My first grader went through 100 EL last year and over the summer. Now, he knows too much to start most phonics at the beginning levels, yet not exactly read for chapter books. Any advice?

After finishing 100 EL my oldest knew all the short and long vowel sounds, but didn't know anything about all the irregularities or vowel combinations. This made transitioning into books frustrating.

I would find a reading program that covers some of the vowel combinations and irregularities and start from there.

HTH!

My DD finished 100EZ way above their predicted 2nd grade level, it was more like 4th. We went straight on to Websters Speller and now working through AAS. I did try ETC but she HATED it, she isn't a workbook kid. We also followed some of the recommendations at the end of 100EZ for intro'ing some other new sounds that they don't address in the book and have covered separately -tion, -ough and other combos like that. She was/is also reading aloud to me daily from a variety of books.

I guess it really depends on what your DC gets from 100EZ. I am using it again now with DS and he is going well, we will use Nora Gaydos readers along the way and will move into Websters when we are done, although i don't expect him to be as advanced as DD i don't see the need for anything more formal. 100EZ gives them the foundation of blending the sounds and that is the most important part IMO. I do have blend phonics on hand if i need it :) HTH

Webster's Speller!

I have a new guide to Blend Phonics that is an easy transition into it, you could just do a quick review of one or two of each of the words as you learn the rules and syllables.

It's on my how to tutor page, this paragraph:

Your number one task is to get them to stop guessing and start sounding out each and every word from left to right. Nonsense words are key, they help prevent guessing. Here is a free website that generates nonsense words. Syllables are also helpful, I would use the Blend Phonics Reader (it helps show how guessing is a bad strategy by showing words with similar configuration together) followed by Webster’s Speller. Here is a step by step guide to using Blend Phonics that also adds in syllables, spelling and phonics rules, syllable division rules, and syllable division exercises. There are also readings from Hebrews 12 that can be added to show progress through the program.

OPG and PP are also good, they both end up at somewhere around a 4th grade level. Webster's teaches to the 12th grade level.

We went right into beginning readers. At first we finished all the Bob books, then did the books on the list at the back of 100EZ that the library had, then into Henry and Mudge, Nate the Great, etc. It didn't take long for them to begin Magic Tree House and then Box Car children.

The kids had no need for additional phonics training, although we do use Spelling Workout which reinforces phonics.

With my middle child - I did things slightly different, just because she wasn't one to pick up a book and read. We read through Charlotte's Web. It was definitely beyond where she was at when we started, but I had her begin the chapter and I would finish it for her. She improved so much during that reading.

My first grader went through 100 EL last year and over the summer. Now, he knows too much to start most phonics at the beginning levels, yet not exactly read for chapter books. Any advice?

I like Heart of Dakota's Emerging Reader set for this stage. If you get the LHFHG guide used somewhere, you'll also have a great schedule and age-appropriate questions to go through them.

PP we started somewhere in the middle of the book and read one page/day along with another book.

This is what we did too. After 100EL we started working through Phonics Pathways (Timberdoodle suggests going from 100EL to phonics pathways), BOB books, Pathway Readers and the Natural Speller. We are behind in Grammar but just started the 1992 edition of Easy Grammar for 2nd and 3rd Grade and LOOOOVE it. It is so easy and gentle. I wish I had known about it sooner! Funny thing, I had it in a box all along.

I like Heart of Dakota's Emerging Reader set for this stage. If you get the LHFHG guide used somewhere, you'll also have a great schedule and age-appropriate questions to go through them.

You would actually need the BLHFHG (Beyond) guide for this. They are a great place to start. Also Winterpromise has a great 1st grade LA program that picks up after 100 Easy Lessons.

We were there with my 5yo in the spring.

We started with Explode the Code 3 and added in Little Bear, Frog and Toad, etc.

He is also reading through the McGuffey readers and amazes me every day with his decoding abilities!

McGuffeys is amazing and he reads me one story each day.

He's currently 1/3 of the way through the third reader and it's pretty meaty.

Good luck~:001_smile: