Menu

I am the only one that feels to be unfair.

My ds attends 4th grade in ps. He has 3 teachers of which he switches classes. The school has a rule that if homework is turned in late the student gets 15 points off the first day it is late and takes a 0 after that. Now to me it's unreasonable to ask a 9 year old to remember all his papers for he is changing classes and even though he does have his homework the day it is due he gets 15 points off for turning it in the next day because he forgot it in his homeroom. These are 9 year olds, I can see this in middle school but 4th grade.

My ds attends 4th grade in ps. He has 3 teachers of which he switches classes. The school has a rule that if homework is turned in late the student gets 15 points off the first day it is late and takes a 0 after that. Now to me it's unreasonable to ask a 9 year old to remember all his papers for he is changing classes and even though he does have his homework the day it is due he gets 15 points off for turning it in the next day because he forgot it in his homeroom. These are 9 year olds, I can see this in middle school but 4th grade.

I think it is unfair, too. They should have a chance to get it during lunch or recess or something.

I taught middle school and we weren't this Draconian.

I don't think it's unfair IF the teacher reminds the class that it's time to turn in homework. Just re-read the OP: why doesn't he keep his homework in a folder and carry it with him? As much as I strongly dislike much about the PS system, this expectation isn't unrealistic, IMO.

I'm ticked he went from a B to a D on something he worked hard on. Changing classes is taking it's toll on these 4th graders. However, I do like the concept of having 1 folder for all homework that the kids can bring class to class. I'll suggest this to ds and his teacher if it's a persistent problem with other kids.

I agree that perhaps 4th grade is a bit young to be changing classes. However, I am a stickler for learning personal responsibility. I do think 15 points off is a bit too much of a punishment. 5 points sounds like a better punishment to me. But if those are the rules, they are the rules.

BTW, the folder idea is great.

Is this something new? When did 4th graders start changing classes?

When I was in 4th-6th grades we switched classes for math and reading so I don't see it being an unreasonable thing. I honestly don't remember how similar situations were handled, but my guess is that when it did happen we were told to hand it in later in the day as another poster suggested.

As the mom of a fourth grade boy, I can see your point. On the other side, late work is a real problem for teachers. It's next to impossible to give a realistic grade when students turn in things whenever they remember or can find it. My guess is that the teachers have made a rule that everyone can follow, and (barring a disability and IEP) the consequences are the same for everyone. Fourth grade does seem a little young, but hopefully he learned the material (even if it was turned in late), and a valuable lesson that will help him for the rest of his schooling days.

At my 5th grader's school, it's 50% off a day late and zero credit after that. What's the point of having a deadline if there's no repercussions?

Starting in 3rd grade, the kids are given planners and taught how to use them. They are learning an organizational skill. I would rather have my dd take some 50% and zeros on homework in 4th & 5th grade than in middle school. If they get to mess up on their own in elementary school, hopefully they will learn their lesson by high school when their grades count a little more. Really, who cares if a 4th grader flunks some homework assignments? It's not going to keep them from getting a job when they're 21.

At my 5th grader's school, it's 50% off a day late and zero credit after that. What's the point of having a deadline if there's no repercussions?

Starting in 3rd grade, the kids are given planners and taught how to use them. They are learning an organizational skill. I would rather have my dd take some 50% and zeros on homework in 4th & 5th grade than in middle school. If they get to mess up on their own in elementary school, hopefully they will learn their lesson by high school when their grades count a little more. Really, who cares if a 4th grader flunks some homework assignments? It's not going to keep them from getting a job when they're 21.

:iagree:

The policy seems strict, but fair (as long as it is applied to all the kids in the class).

I say this as the parent of two kids in 4th grade at our public school and an 8th grader who really struggled with organization at that age and rose to the challenge.

I, too, would much rather that kids learn organization at this age.

I strongly dislike how everything has become the parent's responsibility. I swear every single thing that comes home from school requires a parent's signature and has a note saying this (the signature and return of said item) will affect the child's grade. One child has an agenda which is supposed to be signed by the parent every night saying that the parent is aware of everything the child was supposed to do and that they did do it. Originally this included assigned reading. We are now also required to initial the reading section (saying they did their reading) and then sign. When I went to the elementary parent/teacher orientation, I honestly felt that the schools and the governement are trying to use people's children as a way to manage the parents. At this point I have to stop talking or I will say things that will probably get me banned. :tongue_smilie:

but as a former teacher, I can assure you they don't want to manage your life.... they want to CYA. Sure enough little Johnny takes home a bad grade on a test or project and mommy or daddy is up there raising cain in the office. And what they say is "No one told us about........" The initialing and signing of page upon page of documents is simply to be able to defuse those situations and say "Yes you were informed".

when I taught 4th grade, we did switch for some subjects. let me assure you, we said "it's time to go to math. make sure you get your book, your pencil, your homework..... ok, everyone line up.... did you get your book, your pencil, your homework??? ok good. now walk quietly and btw, did you get your book, your pencil, your homework??? and still kids would forget.

I switched classes in 4th grade for math, social studies, science, music and art, and I'm old. Learning that there is a penalty for forgetting things is part of life. And if you are in a school system, it's better to learn it while the repercussions won't be with you your whole life. It would only be unfair if the rule were not uniformly applied.

Lawana