Menu

The latest "Would you eat this?"--peanut butter

My son opened a jar of Smucker's Natural Chunky peanut butter yesterday and put it in the pantry when he was finished. I just now found it. The jar says to refrigerate. Ingredients are peanuts and salt. Should we eat it or pitch it?

Thanks,

Chelle

Oh, yes, eat it! Eat it with no guilt or worry. :)

I posted a thread a while back, when I switched to natural peanut butter (which, btw, I love, and now I can't eat the other kind :D). I was asking about refrigerating vs. keeping in the pantry (mine says to put it in the fridge, too). Most of the ladies who replied said that they keep their natural peanut butter in the pantry anyway instead of ever putting it in the fridge.

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me a few weeks ago; jar was left in the pantry instead of returned to the fridge (except it was not my dc, I believe it was me!). I found it the next day, and just stuck it back in the fridge. All is well, and that was a few jars ago...

Oh wow! We never refrigerate our peanut butter. I didn't know you were supposed to. It sits for weeks or even months, opened in the cupboard. Wow.

There is a difference between the kind that's supposed to be refrigerated and the kinds that aren't. If the oils separate because it's not hydrogenated, it's supposed to go in the fridge.