Menu

WWYD? Giving away stuff question.

What would you do? I offered someone lots of my baby things for her daughter in law and son's baby girl, who is 6 weeks old. I'm handing down good to new clothes, shoes and sandals, high chair, play pen, Little Tikes garden, baby bunting, etc. That was a week ago. I haven't heard back. My mother saw her today and mentioned that I wanted to get the stuff out of the house ASAP. My mother said she didn't really say anything either way. Meanwhile, I'm tripping over the things in my house. Do I call her myself? What do I do? I don't want to bug people but I don't want to give it away to someone else and find out that they wanted it. And I want to get rid of it as soon as possible so I don't want to wait on them either.

Thanks.

Louise

When I offer things for people I usually put a spin on it to give a time line.

"I have some baby things I am donating or taking to consignment on Tuesday, if you would like to look through them, give me a call." Then I drop the subject and if I don't hear from them by Tuesday, I know they don't want them. I don't ask "do you want xyz', because it puts people on the spot and some people don't know how to say 'no, thanks' and then you are left holding the bag....literally.

If it is someone you know well ( I didn't understand who she was to you by your description) I would call and say the same thing. If you don't know them all that well, I would get rid of them.

I would call and ask if she wants to go through the stuff before you give it away or take it to consignment or whatever. If she really wants it she will come get it, but if not she knew you were getting rid of it asap so she should not be mad if it is gone.
Tell her that someone else is picking up the remainder on such and such date, so that she has a deadline.

My mom used to get me the nicest things for the kids, but she always wanted me to get them asap. I was tired. I did not want to go carting tons of stuff between houses and then go through the sorting and putting away.

Maybe she's tired? Ask her if she wants it and (if you're willing ;) ) offer to help her put it all away. That may be all that is keeping her from coming to get it.

My mom used to get me the nicest things for the kids, but she always wanted me to get them asap. I was tired. I did not want to go carting tons of stuff between houses and then go through the sorting and putting away.

Maybe she's tired? Ask her if she wants it and (if you're willing ;) ) offer to help her put it all away. That may be all that is keeping her from coming to get it.

i smiled when i read this. what a kind and generous way to deal with it. i would give her "last call" on it, with an offer of help, before getting rid of it some other way.

it all will be an amazing blessing to someone,

ann

Give them to someone else ASAP! She may be hoping for newer & better ... not wanting to tell you no, just in case. Too bad. I am sure you can find someone else. Wish you lived close to me!;)

:iagree:I'm betting that's what she is thinking. I'd give it to someone else or consign it. It was very thoughtful of you, though!

There is a place in Lowell that looks after poor mothers and their babies. They'd love the stuff. I donated a ton of stuff there a few years ago and it was very clean and organized (plus you get a tax write off). Of course, I am pretty sure you'd need to take it there, but to me it'd be worth it. Not sure if I can remember the name right now...

She may not know how to tell you no. I'm like that....I hate refusing when someone is generously offering me something. When it came to my babies, I loved picking out matching things for the nursery and cute new clothes. Maybe she just wants the chance to do soemething like that and doenst know how to decline without hurting your feelings. I'd give her a few more days and then just donate elsewhere.

i smiled when i read this. what a kind and generous way to deal with it. i would give her "last call" on it, with an offer of help, before getting rid of it some other way.

it all will be an amazing blessing to someone,

ann

It's really incredible how tired you can be with a little baby. Not everyone bounces right back (I sure didn't) and it really stinks when you know your kids are losing out, but you just can't muster the energy to get everyone dressed and out of the house and then pack and then move and then get home and do everything all over again.

I don't even know how much we missed out on, because the sheer idea of leaving the house was too daunting a chore.