Menu

Seattle or Boston?

DH is back in the States and will be home this weekend! WOO HOO!

So, we're trying to plan a trip for just the two of us sometime this next month. He has a ton of leave, we have $1200 in airline credits to use and my uncle can get us free rooms at Best Western hotels - anywhere. We have decided to stay in the States. I was thinking either Seattle or Boston. I've visited Seattle, he's visited Boston - but we've never been to either together.

If you had the chance for a *free* trip - where would it be? Is there some other great place I"m not thinking of? We're not really beach people. I prefer cities. Any great ideas?

As a former Washingtonian I throw my vote for Seattle. It's beautiful in September and the weather is perfect. If you can squeeze in a ferry ride that would be really great. There are ferries that will take you to Bainbridge Island where you can walk off, shop, and eat dinner at many nice little restaurants, and there is nothing like coming into Seattle after dark with all the lights gleaming on the water. Don't forget Pike Place- even if all you see is flying salmon!:D

I've been both places. Seattle would get my vote.

Stay downtown and walk to the market, have dinner on the coast, take a ferry to an island. All very relaxing and romantic. Go hiking, enjoy a vineyard tour, etc.

Boston is wonderful. I love it, but it seems to me to be more hectic and bustling.

You can't go wrong either place. Great food, great locals, great cities.

Have you considered the option of going somewhere neither of you has been before. Surely there's a great city neither of you have experienced...

Have a blast!

If I were just spending time in the city, I'd pick Seattle over Boston. If you're going to take day trips outside the city, Seattle has some great stuff, but the Boston area can't be beat: Concord & Lexington, Cape Cod, Newport in Rhode Island, and Gloucester all come to mind.

ETA: I would add NYC to your list. Next to Paris, my favorite city in the world.

I've never been to Boston in the fall, but the bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle.

:lol:

You know I"m in Texas, right. I'm fairly certain we have the bluest skies.

Wait.....doesn't it rain all the time in Seattle? Were you pulling my leg?

We're open to suggestions. Seattle and Boston are the two that popped up immediately, but by no means the only two we would like to see.

NYC seems so overwhelming. My inner control freak is coming out. How would I possibly decide where to go and what to do when I want to do it all? :tongue_smilie: Give me some kind of itinerary and help me narrow it down.

Chicago doesn't really hold any appeal to me - I'm not sure why. It seems kind of like going to visit Houston. Don't ask me to explain that....I have no idea why.

I think it's a combination of the deep, sparkling, green- blue waters of the Puget Sound, the never ending evergreens, and the sight of majestic Mount Rainier rising up as a backdrop that makes them the "bluest" skies!:D

I would love the history in and around Boston too. I liked KingM's suggestions. It just depends on what kind of weekend you want to have.

Wait.....doesn't it rain all the time in Seattle? Were you pulling my leg?

:001_smile:

I was hoping someone would play "name that crooner" with me. Larry Boy ("I've never been to Boston in the fall") and Perry Como ("The bluest skies you've ever seen .."). Everyone's right, though, September is *usually* a great time to be in the Northwest! We live 2 hours east of Seattle and love it here! As for rain, Seattle *does* have the reputation and I'm not saying it's not deserved -- but I've heard that Atlanta gets more rain than Seattle. Hmmmm.....

What kinds of things do you want to do while you are away? Museums, hiking, shopping, staying in bed, theater? I lived in Boston in college and live nearby now. I love that city. There is tons to do in the city, the T is easy to use, Cambridge is a hop skip and a jump away. Lots of places to eat, the Museum of Fine Arts or Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum are both worthy of a visit. Then there's Fanueil Hall, the North End (oh so yummy Italian food!) I could go on and on. That all being said, NYC is wonderful and not that hard to figure out. We took a trip there a couple of years ago with the children and it was the best family vacation ever. I can't wait to go back. FAll in New England can't be beat! Oh, another great small city is Portland, ME. It's a very artsy community, great shops and seafood. Have a wonderful time whatever you decide.

JMHO:

I'd not "waste" all that time flying somewhere too far away.

Go to New Mexico. You are hours away from it!

Fly into Albuquerque. Spend a few days there. Drive up to Santa Fe. Spend a few days there.

I went to college in Albuquerque and it is soooooo beautiful.

ETA: I don't know where you are in TX but non-stop from Dallas to Abq is 1 hr & 45 min for about $225.

Edited by unsinkable