Menu

what age to start?

MomtoCandJ

What age is an appropriate age to start formal homeschooling? my daughter C is 8 and 1/2 months old and is considered advanced for her age (don't know how they figure that out) I am interested in home schooling because the schools in my area are not at all good, I have noticed that a lot of the students are not able to read or write well and the their ability to do math is poor. I work at a gas station and have also noticed that many of these people do not know their colors, how to count or recognize numbers. Any suggestions about what I can do now to help her and suggestions for later would be great. We don't have much to spend but still want the best we can afford for her.

You probably want to wait on the 'sit down' part for a couple years. That being said, there is a lot you can do in the mean time. Most importantly, READ! Start talking about colors, shapes and numbers when you see them in your environment.

It's great that you are planning ahead and want what is best for her. Use this time while she's so little to play and cuddle, it doesn't last long--they grow so quickly!

Really, you're just going to give her a rich educational environment for now. I like the idea of teaching sign language. I'm not even against doing the Teach Your Baby to Read stuff. But what is most important is to talk to her plenty, let her explore the world, give her information naturally ("oh, you want the blue block?"), read to her a LOT, etc. Children learn by doing, by meaningful conversation with loved ones, etc.

Sometime around 4 or 5, you'll probably start a phonics program and spend more time with things like telling time and counting m&ms. But even then, she'll still learn best by playing, activity, interest, read alouds, etc.

You'll pick up the schoolish-ness sometime between 6 and 10 depending on how you view such things.

Read lots during this time to learn how you feel about different philosophies, options, styles, etc. I started researching when my kids were like 3 and 1. I'm glad I did. I was much more confident than many by the time "the day" came.

Read and talk to her all day long! There is nothing that can replicate that!

As much as is safe for her age/stage, let her touch, taste, smell, see and hear everything possible in her environment. Talk about these things even if she can only babble back.

Sing and tell nursery rhymes.

I think my dc were less than 2yo when I started them on those wooden puzzles with chunky pegs. My ds6 learned his shapes and colors through those puzzles.

where can i find cheap sign language materials? my local library doesn't have any materials about sign language that is available

We used baby signs and I bought the starter kit at target for $39 and then got a good deal on ebay for books and cd's and the 6 disc dvd set. It was worth it as my son was a late talker but could communicate with us from the time he was 8 months old his needs. It really cuts down on the tantrums.

The colors and such I just had brainy baby flashcards that I had readily available for him to play with...I didn't "do" flashcards with him but he would dump them out and hold them up and I would tell him purple square, blue circle...that sort of thing. I had them leftover from my ds6 and we really loved them b/c they have real pictures of things on them like apples and wagons. Baby Einstein has a lot of cards that go with their dvd's as well and they are also real pictures. Again, he would just dump them at first and he would pick one and I would tell him what was on the picture. The baby einstein has a lot of tactile elements as well. The animals have fur you can rub on the cards and their is smooth ones also for different skin types.

When my ds2.5 got a little bigger, I bought the wood puzzles that Walmart and such stores carry with the alphabet and numbers and automobiles. My favorite is the Melissa and Doug fish color puzzle where you match the colors (front of fish and tail of fish). I really think just playing and letting him explore these things together made a big difference.

Oh and read, read, read whenever you get the chance.

At age 7

Age 4, We do Reading only at age 4. Several short sessions daily, learn to read, read more, read well, read three times per day.

Age 5, hand them a pencil daily (writing)and (continue the daily reading 3 times per day)

Age 6, math facts, all of them + - x / , keep writing, and read 3 times per day

Age 7 - start formal schooling, now that student has their academic "foundation"

Start Saxon Math 54 and Worldly Wise A

Read 3 sessions per day (continue for the next 10 years)

Writing daily. Copywork, oral narration, dictation, written narration, etc.

Add vocabulary

Consider though that the "reading" encompasses history, science, literature, religion, reference books, library books etc

Edited by Moni

I agree that right now reading and talking to her (not baby talk, but real everyday talk) are your best "tools" right now. With the boys I talked to them constantly... and I do mean CONSTANTLY! LOL In the grocery store as I was shopping I would be talking non-stop "Oh look, a yellow bananna! /b/, /b/, /b/ Banannna! Bananna starts with the letter B!" etc. etc. I would talk about the shapes, colors, number of items anything that came to my head. I am sure I looked a total nut job to the rest of the world, but I am not a person who really cares about that sort of thing... It made daily chores fun for us all! On top of that I read nursery rhymes to them constantly, sang the alphabet song, played with wooden puzzles with them etc. As a result they knew their full alphabet by age 18mos. and could count to twenty by then as well. They have just been building on those skills since! Enjoy this wonderful time with your baby!

Yep, we loved teaching sign language, in fact, my daughter taught herself way past DH and I at 11 mos. We used Signing Times DVDs, as I sold them back then, but maybe you could get them used for a good price?

Continual talking and reading aloud are also musts.

We started "informal" homeschooling shortly after 4 years old, and up to now we did under one hour a day, and I keep it fun and lessons short. Nothing too strict or scheduled, and very flexible. If I had the choice, I would've started this informal learning at 3, but I was too busy with career at that time.

This fall, as she turns 5, I am planning on just over one hour a day. This will be the sit-down/lie/sit on floor type learning subjects like math, phonics, handwriting, and spelling. This doesn't include all the arts/crafts, hikes, reading aloud and field trips.

Guest Cindie2dds
Take this time to educate yourself. What subject most intimidates you? What do you most want to learn? How about a language?

Choose something that you will need later and learn it now. Many of us wish we had learned Latin or how to teach math before we needed it. Yes you can learn some things along with your kids but you will be able to improvise and tweak things to fit your family better, if you understand what you are doing and not having to rely quite so much on a teacher's guide.

:iagree:

This is the advice I wish I had when my oldest was 8 months old. Take this time to play, show her nature, fun field trips, read a LOT to her. Mostly, take this time to figure out YOUR philosophy of education; classical, Charlotte Mason, Waldorf, Unit Studies, Montessori, unschooling, etc. What you want your kids to learn and how. You will be much more confident and won't have to rely on a "package" to teach your children unless you want to.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Edited by Cindie2dds

I agree with all the previous posters.

Sign Language was key for a very content and confident child; just think how you would feel if you could actually communicate beyond crying. We started at birth but it's never too late.

We also read a lot, everyday.

Start researching now and develop your philosophy. Research your curriculum choices. Prioritize your values and goals.

But most of all have fun and enjoy; that in and of itself can be the most important life lesson.

I think you're getting GREAT advice. I've used sign language with all three of mine and it was a fun activity that helped them communicate early.

I do want to encourage you just to enjoy her little years. They grow up so fast and you can't get that time back. Of course, play with puzzles, talk about colors and numbers, and read, read, read, but stay away from anything formal. If she's already advanced, she doesn't need any of that stuff anyway.

My oldest is definitely advanced if not gifted and my 3yo is showing signs of giftedness as well. One thing that I see now is that they will learn without formal curriculum. My 5yo can do 2nd-3rd grade math and my 3yo can read CVC+ words. They learned it all without being taught with formal curriculum. They just asked questions or played games and figured it out. It's fun to see their little brains working. All you have to do is encourage their curiosity and be available to answer questions (or set up fun experiments). Buy toys that enable her to build and create. Let her cut paper to her heart's content. She'll have plenty to keep her brain occupied and she'll have FUN!

look in you library for board books like "Baby's First Signs" and things like that. There are some nursery rhymes and basic signs that mine love to read!

where can i find cheap sign language materials? my local library doesn't have any materials about sign language that is available

Read lots during this time to learn how you feel about different philosophies, options, styles, etc. I started researching when my kids were like 3 and 1. I'm glad I did. I was much more confident than many by the time "the day" came.

:iagree: Check your library for these books:

Homeschooling: A Patchwork of Days: Share a Day with 30 Homeschooling Families by Nancy Lande

So You're Thinking About Homeschooling: Fifteen Families Show How You Can Do It by Lisa Whelchel

I liked these books because they gave so many examples of how different families homeschool. They're pretty easy reads, too. I checked out lots of homeschooling books from my library, including these, and eventually WTM.

Right now, you want to have three "subjects:" language skills, motor skills, and music. I can't overemphasize how awesome sign language is for toddlers. My favorite resource is Signing Time dvds. Our library has a bunch of them. The Baby Signing Time ones are especially cute. All the kids that you see signing in them are under three. The dvds are wonderful for toddlers, but more than that, they are great for the parents to learn from and get ideas about how to incorporate sign language into every day life.

Board books are wonderful. The ones with single pictures and word on a page are great for babies/ toddlers. My kiddos liked ones with pictures of other babies, and the Baby Einstein animal ones, bc they had clear pictures of animals. Maisy books, Bunny and Me, Baby Danced the Polka, Miss Mary Mack, Mr. Brown Can Moo, nursery rhymes... Lots of good board books.

While it's important to use regular, grown up talk, baby talk actually does serve a valued purpose. When Anna was 15 months and started speech therapy, her therapist actually really encouraged it. She said it's important to have times where you use simple words and phrases. When there are too many words, kids can get overwhelmed and not understand. Think about learning a foreign language. What is easier to understand: when someone walks in and points at an object and says it's name, or when they say, "Look over there; there's a sparrow! Did you know that they eat seeds?" So it's nice to have some times when you are playing, when you use very simple words and phrases and lots of gestures and visual aids. Funny games with faces and tongue movements help with oral motor development.

Music is awesome. I'm a big believer in those old children's folk songs. Music Together and Musikgarten both have great infant/ toddler music classes, but if you can't do that, you can also buy cds from them. Naturally You Can Sing has a great cd called Sing a Song with Baby. The important thing isn't to play the cds for your children, but for you to learn songs and sing to her yourself.

You want to encourage as much physical activity as possible. Get her to crawl; when she's ready to walk, let her push wagons and such. Spin around in circles with her. Turn her upside down. Throw her into the air. Hold her torso and have her push herself up with her arms (baby push ups). When she's laying on her back, pull her to a sitting position. There's a great book on baby yoga that I loved. Give her a full body massage after her baths.

When she gets to be about a year old, add in fine motor/ cognitive skills as a subject. That basically just means getting on the floor with her and playing. Toys like busy boxes, building with blocks, playing with balls, puzzles with knobs, nesting rings, peg boards, shape sorters, toys where you stick a ball in and watch it roll down tubes to the end, large beads, hammering toys, putting beads on vertical and horizontal dowels, rolling a small ball thru a paper towel tube, something with a door you can open and shut..... Just playing, but can work on fine motor skills.

Once she can walk, take her outside for a walk every day. Go to the playground. Let her practice walking up and down hills and steps and walking on different kinds of surfaces.

Somewhere around 21 months or so you can add art as a subject.

Yes, difinitely sign language! We did that with dd, and she ended up with a huge vocabulary! At night when she was fussing, I could ask her, "What wrong, Honey?" and she could do a sgin for thirsty or drink, or "I love you" (which meant she needed to cuddle for awhile), or binky, etc. It was GREAT! We didn't have to guess, so she and we (my husband and I) were less stressed trying to figure out what she wanted! I wish I would've known to do that with my boys!

Here's a site: http://www.babies-and-sign-language.com/

I agree with the others about reading to her a lot, and having different music going much of the time.

I add to the cautions of doing too much too soon. I'm not sure who "they" are, or how they can tell she's ahead, but just be aware of her wants and needs. Remember she has soooo many years of school coming up that there's no reason to push her into stuff at a young age! (not that you are, just reminding you that it's easy to get carried away, so remember to let her be a kid!)

My dh and I did the reading and music, and lots of hands-on stuff, and outdoor play and walks. Those are very important learning tools! We just considered that being parents. We didn't consider it homeschooling until they reached school age (ages 5 or 6). Most good parents work with, read to and help their babies/toddlers learn, so the change to "homeschooling", we figured would come at school age. JOHO. :D

Edited by Brindee

:iagree: Check your library for these books:

Homeschooling: A Patchwork of Days: Share a Day with 30 Homeschooling Families by Nancy Lande

So You're Thinking About Homeschooling: Fifteen Families Show How You Can Do It by Lisa Whelchel

:iagree:

I loved patchwork of days, all the other homeschooling books don't really give you a good picture of what it actually "looks like" to homeschool.

I haven't read the second, but I've read a few other books by Lisa Whelchel that I have enjoyed.

I used Leapfrog's "Talking Letter Factory" DVD at age 2 with both my children. It really helped my son, his speech got much clearer after watching it. My daughter already spoke very clearly, so there was no difference for her after watching. She was little, though, people looked at her funny when we were out in public and she looked at a letter B and said "B, buh," she looked somewhere around 18 months old, maybe a bit younger, when she was 2.

When they are 3 or 4 you can start doing some fun phonics games to get them working on blending sounds together to make words.

A great book with some fun ways to teach a young child to read is Sidney Ledson's "Teach Your Child to Read in Just Ten Minutes a Day." It says you can start at age 2, mine haven't been ready until 3 or 4.

Edited by ElizabethB

"they" is her pediatrician, she wants me to drive 2 hours one way 2 or 3 days a week to take C to a gifted children's program, I refuse to do it, she has learned what she has at home and I am sure she will continue develop just fine without the program. They said she is "gifted" because she has reached her milestones sooner than most other 8 and 1/2 month olds, I thinks it's because we let her play on the floor a lot, let her play with things that are not toys like the newspaper when we are done reading it, and don't pick her up and hold her all the time. Besides I don't want to push her too much, I read to her a lot, play with her on the floor, sing to her, the only "educational" things she has is her shape sorters and a set of alphabet and numbers magnets for the fridge. I figure that's enough for now.

What age is an appropriate age to start formal homeschooling? my daughter C is 8 and 1/2 months old and is considered advanced for her age (don't know how they figure that out) I am interested in home schooling because the schools in my area are not at all good, I have noticed that a lot of the students are not able to read or write well and the their ability to do math is poor. I work at a gas station and have also noticed that many of these people do not know their colors, how to count or recognize numbers. Any suggestions about what I can do now to help her and suggestions for later would be great. We don't have much to spend but still want the best we can afford for her.

We are schooling them honestly from the day they are born. They are always learning when you think about it. Just depends on the individual child as to when you start "formally" teaching them, when you feel they are ready. So I say, anytime.