Menu

Tell...me...I'm....not....going...to....die!!

I just did Level 1 of Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred workout for the very first time. I waited until I thought my lunch had digested a bit, and then went to work on it. OMGoodness!! I knew it would be hard, and I have to admit I didn't do tooooooo bad keeping up, but golly I worked up a sweat. (And I'm not even one to sweat much!) Now I feel my lunch in the pit of my stomach and I am exhausted.

I have two big challenges to add to the list too. I have a history of asthma, and it can flair up with exercise if I am not careful. Today I had a little bit of a hard time getting my breathing right. I really don't know how to do that. Then there's the issue of my right knee injury that causes me to not be able to get on my knees to do modified push ups (can't even do one pushup of the regular type yet...) What do I do about that one?

Okay, WTM friends that are into exercising - I could use some input.

I have always hated exercise. As a result, I am out of shape and over weight. I'm in my fifties now and have decided to stop putting off what I know I should be doing. I'm changing my eating habits for the better and am going to include exercise into my weeks.

For one, I have a brand new bicycle and am starting to ride it for 20-30 minutes several times per week. Secondly, I bought the Shred DVD and a set of 5 lb. weights. We also have a stationary bike in the house. Additionally, I am eating plenty of organic veggies, drinking water, cutting back on carbs and fats and eating as little sugar as possible.

Do you have any other suggestions for me? Would anyone mind suggesting a plan that would be a good place to start?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have for me.

Whew!

Lucinda

I don't know if this will work for you but...

you could do push ups against a wall. This would be a way to work your arms without putting any pressure on your knee. The other suggestion is to just hold plank instead of doing push-ups. This works your core, and your arms some. You could also do small reverse push-ups from the ground up. In yoga it's stick pose, put it's like your in the push up position but close to the floor. Usually you go down, like in a push up, but you could start from the floor and come up. It's not as hard as a full push up, but would give you some arm work. My dd has been trying this. She doesn't have a knee injury but a shoulder one. It puts less stress on her shoulder. (In stick pose your arms are kept close to your body, working your triceps more, but you could do a regular push-up stance as well).

Good job on all you're doing. My only advice is don't get discouraged. I started running about a year ago, and was side lined by injuries a few times. Just keep working at it.

I just started this last Thursday, so today was day 5. I hate the first circuit but then it somehow gets easier for me after that. Adapt as you need to - I am. In the part where you do the side lunges & you raise your arms in front, for one of the sets I'm doing one arm at a time. Whatever muscle in the arm that thing is working, mine sucks :D

Keep at it & maybe let's keep checking in!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You survived day one. I promise this will be one of the hardest. I have stopped and started Jillian a couple of times now and finally made it to day 5. I can hang pretty good now. I was so sore after days one and two. I took a break and then did two more days. I had a break yesterday and need to hit it again. Even though day one and two just about killed me I felt so great knowing I did it. I was literally on the floor for about 30 minutes after day one. I almost puked. Really. For me I don't have very good cardio so even doing some of the leg stuff really gets my heart rate going and yes I sweat like a pig. I promise it will get easier. I am sure when I bump up to level 2 it will probably be horrible again but I am so excited to know that even though its uncomfortable I can hang with it. It does get easier. I have added about 30 minutes of good treadmilling to go with it. You will be sore but you will love it. We are tougher than we think. Just commit to it and listen to your body. Drink a ton of water to keep the junk flushed out that your stirring up. YOU....ARE....GOING.....TO.....DIE!! You might have to lay on the ground for a couple of days but you'll be okay. Awesome. Ruby

:hurray:

This is so cool you posted about the Shred today. I did a search earlier to see if anyone was still shredding.

I have been walking 2.5 - 3 miles daily for about a month very steep hilly area and have lost 10 pounds. I also started some light arm weights

I tried shred level 1 previous to my walking routine and realized I was to out of shape to start the shred. I couldn't even do a push up.

Well today I got it out and just watched level one.

I plan to do my first day tomorrow.

Wow - this is awesome! :hurray:

A little encouragement sure does go a long way. :) Tonight I am still feeling results from what I did to my body. My thighs and my arms are feeling a little burned and utterly exhausted this evening. I know I am going to sleep like a baby tonight!

My daughter just came up to me to ask what my plan is. How many times per week will I do my exercise, she asks. My thoughts were to do Shred 3x per week and ride my bicycle a minimum of 3x as well. That is a lot more exercise than I have been getting. Do you all think this is enough, or should I be doing the Shred workout more than that?

I want this to make a difference. Am I approaching this realistically?

Blessings,

Lucinda

Good for you!! :hurray: I think it's a good plan, but I also think you should be sure you're not ramping up your exercise too quickly. Especially with asthma & a bad knee... Maybe start with exercising 3X a week for two weeks, then 4X a week for two weeks, then 5x.....

Just a thought..

Anne :-)

you'll be okay. It's nice to know others are embarking on the same journey. I have never been an excerciser and I am learning that it is okay to be sore and it is okay to be uncomfortable for a short amount of time. I know the end results will be worth it. I have also learned that their is some satisfaction in working out. Just knowing I actually did it makes me feel good. Ruby

I'm really interested in this. Is it something that someone who is not overweight could do to tone up or is it primarily weight loss?

Sandra, I think this is primarily a weight loss workout. Jillian Michaels undoubtedly has something out there for you though. You'd just need to google her name. And I did see a "Biggest Loser" workout advertised through NBC.com that is called "Sculpt". I don't know if you have that TV program in Australia or not, but its pretty popular here in the U.S.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I am so so sorry. She asked for someone to tell her she was not going to die and I like a silly one forgot the word not. I meant you will not die. So hard to type on here sometimes with kids running to and fro. Ruby

Whew! :tongue_smilie:

LOL,

Lucinda

Sandra, I think this is primarily a weight loss workout. Jillian Michaels undoubtedly has something out there for you though. You'd just need to google her name. And I did see a "Biggest Loser" workout advertised through NBC.com that is called "Sculpt". I don't know if you have that TV program in Australia or not, but its pretty popular here in the U.S.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Thanks Lucinda. I'll see what I can find about sculpt. We do have Biggest Loser here but it's the Australian version which Jillian Michaels appears on very occasionally.