Menu

Dd15's recent observation of her schooled friends....

My dd is dyslexic and dysgraphic so schooling has always been a challenge for both of us. We have worked hard and she loves to learn. She is bright but everyone who talks with her thinks she is a genius, especially her public school friends. They can't believe what she knows about history, they are amazed by the vocab she uses, and they are shocked that she actually reads books.:lol:

When ds had his 9th birthday party, he and the boys began discussing what the party would look like if they lived in Roman times :001_huh:.

Every single boy (they were all h'schoolers) had something to add to the conversation.

They moved on to other topics, but the other moms and I had a good chuckle over that one.

My ds is going to a charter school this year for 7th grade. They are spending the entire year, 1 hour per day, on Texas state history. I know Texas has a rich history, but a whole year. Wow!

On the postive side the history teacher worked for a state official so hopefully there will be some great stories to go along with his year long study.

We have a lot of issues of bullies in the neighborhood and a roaming "gang" of kids ages 5-17 that are always causing problems. MOst recently we are pretty sure they are responsible for burning down a shed at the community hall (they were kicked out the hall for the rest of summer the day before). Anyway I overheard ds and dd talking yesterday afternoon and this is what I heard

DD "You know if we went to real school We would have big _____ at the one school beating us up, and those bad kids at the other school"

DS: "and the teachers wouldn't let us move seats if they were bugging us"

DD "Those kids never even learned not to set things on fire, what is the school supposed to teach us"

DS "I am glad mom teaches us, the only fire we get is when mom starts cooking"

At this time is when I jumped in and said, if my cooking is so bad you can do it. DS jumps up and says "Yes! Home ec" lol

Another time I was talking with my mom about our history program compared to "social studies" in ps for ds rising 1st grader. In gr 1 social studies they focus on the school, home and community/neighborhood. DS5 says "that's stupid, I already know my home" So I say well they learn about community helpers and businesses. So he says " oh you mean like the mail man I talked to yesterday when we were leaving to go to the bee place?" (we went on a tour of a honey plant. So I said "yes but they just read stories and see pictures" Again he says "That's stupid why don't they just say hi to people outside". (We are working on not calling everythigns tupid though he had a point. We experience things in our home/community everyday why spend a year talking about it when we can be doing.

LOL!

Last spring we had been studying the Greeks. All those wonderful wars and battles, DS loved it and spent weeks drawing and acting out battles. When his little buddy from accross the street came over to play DS wanted to play out the Greek and Persian Wars with him, but when he started talking about it the neighbor boy said "______, you're homeschooled, I don't know as much as you."

We live amongst lots of HSers, and my ds naturally gravitates towards them as playmates.

I over heard a conversation once between my 6yo and neighbor boy - my ds was informing him about insects who have biting/sponging/sucking mouths - the neighbor boy gave ds a lesson on the anatomy of a worm (I learned a few things in my eaves dropping:tongue_smilie:) - and they spent an afternoon searching for specimen.:D You just can't replicate that kind of learning in a classroom.

Since we're on a roll......recently we went to a double birthday party at a bowling alley. 2 8yo boys shared their party. 1 hs, the other ps. The mom of the ps boy came to me and pointed out what I noticed, but in politeness would never had said.

"Boy you can really tell the difference in the home schooled kids. Oh, well. We all make our choices."

The home schooled population was mixed ages and gender. Sitting in the chairs while their peers had their turn. They were all talking and laughing having a wonderful time.

The ps boys, all boys, all the same age, were all gathered around whomever was bowling. They never left the wood floors of the bowling lane. They were loud and a bit obnoxious (not too bad, though).

No ps parents stayed...drop and run.

About 7 hs moms stayed and helped with drinks, cake, taught younger ones how to bowl.

It was interesting to watch. I felt like a scientist watching little petri dishes!

I was talking to another mom at church a long time ago (when ds12 was around 6). She asked me some questions about curriculum and I told her a bit about what we were doing for history. She couldn't figure out why we would force him to study about the ancients, at that age. (Not that we were forcing him, of course!) I answered, that it beat going over "community helpers" ad nauseum. I guess I really offended her, because she stomped off saying, "My son (same age) likes learning about community helpers!"

Note - I don't usually go around trying to antagonize people with other schooling choices, but she did ask what we did!

Since we're on a roll......recently we went to a double birthday party at a bowling alley. 2 8yo boys shared their party. 1 hs, the other ps. The mom of the ps boy came to me and pointed out what I noticed, but in politeness would never had said.

"Boy you can really tell the difference in the home schooled kids. Oh, well. We all make our choices."

The home schooled population was mixed ages and gender. Sitting in the chairs while their peers had their turn. They were all talking and laughing having a wonderful time.

The ps boys, all boys, all the same age, were all gathered around whomever was bowling. They never left the wood floors of the bowling lane. They were loud and a bit obnoxious (not too bad, though).

No ps parents stayed...drop and run.

About 7 hs moms stayed and helped with drinks, cake, taught younger ones how to bowl.

It was interesting to watch. I felt like a scientist watching little petri dishes!

What a wonderful example of socialization skills!

Last year my dc went to a homeschool gymnastics class and we would often go out to lunch aftwards. One day all the kids, ages 4 to 9, were sitting at their own table and I overheard them discussing their favorite planets, what life would be like on each one, what kinds of shelters/space suits would be needed, etc. Then the discussion turned to which time period would have been the best to live in and how life in our current time is sooo much easier, but not as many chances for adventure! I loved it!

My ds is going to a charter school this year for 7th grade. They are spending the entire year, 1 hour per day, on Texas state history. I know Texas has a rich history, but a whole year. Wow!

On the postive side the history teacher worked for a state official so hopefully there will be some great stories to go along with his year long study.

I guess state history in 7th grade is common. I did Texas history then, as well. You gotta wonder...if, say, Virginia history is a year-long course, and Texas is a year-long course, how does that work, since VA is an "older" state than Texas??

Last summer my then-11-y.o. told me, "You know, mom, earlier, I thought it was about America. I thought my friends knew less than me because of the stuff they study in their American schools, and we at home use mostly Italian curriculum. But you see, that was because I had never actually talked before so much about school topics with my friends in Italy! Well, we talked lots this summer, about really all kinds of stuff, and it's really amazing, they don't know a **** either."

Then she got rebuked by DH (A, for swearing, and B, for underestimating people based on their childhood educational opportunities), but we all exchanged a secret glance. DH and I were thrilled all the evening later and talked about it (alone, of course). :D

My dc have noticed big differences, too. My ds (then in 11th grade) had just taken an online civics test for fun (can't find the link now). The test was supposed to test Americans' knowledge of civics and government, and was not linked to any class. It was just testing general knowledge. My ds took the test and scored about 85%. Several of his friends came by and wanted to know what it was, then decided to try it. Three of them working together only scored about 20% because they had not heard of many of the history and civics events, philosophies and people the test mentioned. They decided it was because they had not taken their semester of Government the ps requires. Funny, ds had not taken any government class, either. But he had studied history all his hsed life. Ds was sad that they then dismissed everything on the test as not being important, anyway, because it just history and civics, so was not relevant to their lives.