Menu

How do I get my dog to stop treating the cat's box like a salad bar?

Ewww! My dog keeps eating the cat's ummm, poo. It is so disgusting. It seems unhealthy for him too. He seems to vomit when he's been grazing in the box. Our dog has been with us for 4 yrs since he was a baby. The cat is fairly new. Shadow followed the cat around for a couple days when we got him. He then realized that the cat was kinda boring to follow. They lie within a foot of each other when they sleep and Shadow doesn't bother when the cat goes anywhere. They are both males. Could that be the issue? Is it our dog's breed? He's 1/2 black lab and 1/2 Austrailan shepherd. Shadow will eat just about anything. But cat poo? Help

I have one litter box that's actually a storage box with high sides. It's located in our kitchen "pantry" which has a swinging child's gate in the entry. Cats can jump over it but the dog can't get in to the area. The cat's food is also in there to keep the dog from eating it.

We have another litter box upstairs. It's your standard side entry covered box. I turn the opening towards the wall with enough room for the cats to get in but not enough room for the dog.

My sister is a vet tech and she has told me that the protein in a cat's poop is what attracts dogs to it. Very nutritious LOL! I think it is totally disgusting. Cats poop in our yard and my dog (a 9 year old Jack Russell) thinks it is just the greatest thing. Ewww! When we had cats (which we recently got rid of because I found out I'm very allergic) we had a big cage that we put them in at night so they didnt' run around the house being mischevious. In that cage we also kept their litter box and food. We opened the top door of the cage and left it open so that the cats could come and go as they pleased, but the dog and kids could not get into the litter box.

One of my dog fosters was a dedicated cat 'cookie' eater & taught one of my own dogs to indulge :glare:. I don't know that it's that unhealthy if they just get the poop - dogs are omnivores & will eat all sorts of things. Any dog who is a snacker does IMO need to be wormed more regularly.....The litter is another thing. Some dogs actually like the litter too - if you're using wheat scoop etc it's ok but the clay types are unhealthy to ingest IMO.

As for keeping the dog out, build a cupboard & put a cat flap on it or put it in a closet with a sliding door & a board blocking the top.... you want to put it somewhere where the dog can't get in but the cat can. My cat is very regular so usually I beat the dog to the box anyway. I clean the box at least once a day.....

You can buy cupboards

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&x=0&ref%5F=nb%5Fss%5Fgw&y=0&field-keywords=cat%20litterbox%20furniture&url=search-alias%3Daps

or if you're handy, get some ideas from the Ikea hacks

http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2009/07/ikea-ps-locker-into-litter-box.html

The easiest by far is, as I mentioned, a cat flap on a sliding closet door. Install the cat flap on a 8 inch wide piece of wood the height of the closet door. The closet will not close fully - it will bump into the wood piece.

I don't know the answer, but the imagery of a dog lingering over the cat litter box, carefully selecting this topping or that for his "salad" really got me laughing!

(And this is probably the main reason I don't have cats! lol)

Susu

So far the dog hasn't discovered the "treats." But my dd scoops at least once a day. We figure that way the dog won't be attracted by the odor. Seems to be working so far.

I remember when I discovered our last dog eating the "treats" in our back yard! EWW!!! And it always gave her a very upset stomach. But sometimes she would roll in it!! So she'd stink AND have an upset stomach. I loved my dog, but sometimes she was so frustrating.

Mary