Menu

combining 2 different math programs

razorbackmama

I KNOW y'all exist.;) I'd love to hear from those of you who use 2 different math programs and how you do this. Do you use one as your main program and then just incorporate the other here and there? Do you use the full program of both? Do you use MOST of both? Etc.

I'm considering having some of my kids do both Singapore and MUS, and I'm trying to figure out how to do that without sending them into Math Overload.

I only have one that is what I would consider "mathy." The others don't necessarily STRUGGLE, but they aren't just uber math-oriented like he is either.

We use CLE and MUS. I use CLE as my core and bring in MUS to teach the concepts. We also use MUS manipulatives. That's worked really well for us.

So how does that "look?" Do you follow the set order of each? Or do you find the concept in MUS to match up with whatever they are doing in CLE? Do you do all the worksheets and such in MUS, or do you just watch the videos/teach it the MUS way?

I use a whole bunch of maths.

I have one main math. The extras either come behind to reinforce/practice/introduce concepts.

At the present I am doing MEP in it's entirety as a review, and using Miquon to introduce new concepts.

The key to balancing multiple maths - in my limited experience - is having one math that is systematic, that you do daily. Then supplementing with things that are fun and very different from the daily math. I probably wouldn't do both MUS and SM in their entirity....but I've never done MUS so don't take my word for it.

I follow the CLE books. When we come to new concepts we pull out the MUS DVD's and watch them, do a few problems, etc. I don't do all the worksheets in MUS, just the tests. If they struggle with the concepts we do the worksheets. We just camp out on that subject until the light bulb goes on. I usually will proceed with CLE but keep practicing the concept that is a problem. Sometimes, I stop everything until the concept is clear. It just depends on the concept and if it's required to move on in CLE.

I follow the CLE books. When we come to new concepts we pull out the MUS DVD's and watch them, do a few problems, etc. I don't do all the worksheets in MUS, just the tests. If they struggle with the concepts we do the worksheets. We just camp out on that subject until the light bulb goes on. I usually will proceed with CLE but keep practicing the concept that is a problem. Sometimes, I stop everything until the concept is clear. It just depends on the concept and if it's required to move on in CLE.

Gotcha, I think.:) So in MUS you end up going out of order then, right? And you might pull from different levels, depending on when that concept is introduced in CLE?

We haven't done it before, but this year will be doing Singapore, because we're using HOD curriculum, and they have little activities that go along with the Singapore workbooks, Then, I have Saxon for my dd, because she needs reinforcement & repetition, and will be trying R&S math with my ds. I'm hoping out of all of them, something will "click" for us!:001_smile:

We've been using MUS as our primary, and Singapore as our secondary. I did get RightStart recently, and just last night I read through the first 12 lessons, and it looks so much fun! Just the day-to-day lessons, I haven't even checked out the games which is why I purchased it in the first place. I really think that we'll incorporate RS more now.

I also have Miquon and MEP and lots of manipulatives in case we need backup, lol.

Two of my guys work together on Singapore and Miquon. After Mr. Math completes his Singapore lesson, he loves using the Miquon to explore and expand on what we covered in the lesson. Mr. Not-So-Math uses Singapore as his main math, and we use the Miquon to help him visualize and understand the concepts when he hits a tough spot. This similar but different approach has helped both of them greatly with their understanding of math.

Right, I pull from different levels. For my son, 2nd grade last year, I used all of Beta and part of Gamma to go along with CLE 2. We did the few lessons that we did not cover in Beta during the summer. We will finish Gamma this year and probably start Delta (I'm guessing).

We complete 2 maths in one year.

I expect Singapore to be more challenging than MUS so I consider MUS our due diligence (I call it our math primer) and Singapore our core.

MWF - Singapore (1 lesson per day)

T Thurs. MUS (3 lessons, then test unless further practice is needed)

This year I'll have one dc using:

Singapore 1A/B with Foundations (Alpha)

Singapore 2A/B with Foundations (Beta)

Singapore 4A/B with Delta

I allowed dd6th grade to complete the pre-algebra then do Singapore 6A/B. She prefers to do one at a time. She'll then go to MUS Algebra, followed by Jacobs

7th grader using LoF, then MUS Algebra (my only non-math kid)

8th grader MUS Algebra, then Dolciani

We complete 2 maths in one year.

I expect Singapore to be more challenging than MUS so I consider MUS our due diligence (I call it our math primer) and Singapore our core.

MWF - Singapore (1 lesson per day)

T Thurs. MUS (3 lessons, then test unless further practice is needed)

So they complete 3 lessons on each T and Thurs., or 3 lessons between the 2 days? I'm trying to picture how this is scheduled LOL.

This year I'll have one dc using:

Singapore 1A/B with Foundations (Alpha)

Singapore 2A/B with Foundations (Beta)

Singapore 4A/B with Delta

I allowed dd6th grade to complete the pre-algebra then do Singapore 6A/B. She prefers to do one at a time. She'll then go to MUS Algebra, followed by Jacobs

7th grader using LoF, then MUS Algebra (my only non-math kid)

8th grader MUS Algebra, then Dolciani

For your 6-8 graders, so they complete one program and then start the other one? Or do you have them doing one and then the other on different days of the week like the younger kids?

For my mathy kid, I'm actually considering having him do MUS, LOF, and Singapore.:blushing: My original plan has been for him to do MUS and LOF, but I'm thinking about adding in Singapore too. Yikes. LOL.

I didn't read all the replies, so forgive me if this was addressed...

What I have always done when using two maths is pick my base math (BJU) that will be done, daily, and in it's entirety, and then pick another program for supplement. Last year it was Singapore CWP's, but this year we are going to use CLE.

We have not started yet, but this is my 'plan'. My son will do BJU's math with me each day. We will do an entire lesson. Later in the day he will be required to complete 10 problems from a CLE Light Unit (I will place the CLE workbook in one of his workboxes). I chose a grade below for his "supplement' math....so he will be doing CLE's 6th grade math as a supplement to BJU's 7th grade math. I didn't want to overload him on all new math, the CLE is for reinforcement and review of previously learned concepts. I chose CLE because it has more of a spiral feel to it, and I thought the traditional scope and sequence of BJU with a spiral supplement would be a good combo.

When my son was in 3rd grade we used MUS and I had a Singapore book for supplemental work. For some reason this just didn't work well for us due to MUS and Singapore being so VERY different in scope and sequence. Instead of Singapore being a supplement for reinforcement and review, I was teaching two maths a day. Neither Singapore NOR Math U See have a traditional scope and sequence. I find it is much easier to add in a supplement when having a traditional math as my base. ;)

So they complete 3 lessons on each T and Thurs., or 3 lessons between the 2 days? I'm trying to picture how this is scheduled LOL.

For your 6-8 graders, so they complete one program and then start the other one? Or do you have them doing one and then the other on different days of the week like the younger kids?

For my mathy kid, I'm actually considering having him do MUS, LOF, and Singapore.:blushing: My original plan has been for him to do MUS and LOF, but I'm thinking about adding in Singapore too. Yikes. LOL.

They are required to complete one lesson per day, unless I look and see it's a really short one, then I add in the extra lesson. This allows us to finish in a 10-month school year. I make sure they complete 4 Singapore's per week, b/c almost always there's a lighter day or only a small review and practice.

The MUS tend to be easy enough for them to fly through it no problem. In fact, they often do extra MUS in their free time b/c they know that later on, this translates to free time.

The older kids will do one at a time. Again, MUS tends to be easier for them and our goal using the program is that it becomes their teacher, so they can generally complete a MUS course in 4 months. Then they move on to the other programs that are a bit meatier. It has worked better for us b/c the littles need the reinforcement of facts, while by middle school, they no longer need reinforcement, but are watching MUS to acquire new skills.

Our math plan for the older one is really a long term plan that varies for each according to their maturity and ability.

rising 8th grader: Sing 6A/B, MUS pre-Alg. = 1 year

I wanted to have more teaching help, which is tough for me to offer b/c i worked 30hours/week last year so he's stopped Dolciani mid year and started MUS Algebra. He'll finish both of those by January and will move on to Alg. II 2nd semester. Dolciani is labor intensive, so we're moving along slowly. It's important he gets it and fortunately, we have the time in his long term plan.

rising 7th my least math inclined hates Singapore. So, he completed MUS pre-alg and 6A. I let him stop. He's switching to LoF and MUS Alg. He will follow the shared week schedule b/c he loves LoF and doesn't mind MUS.

When he's in 8th we'll use Lial's Algebra to instill b/c I think he needs the slow progression of easier to difficult in Alg. or Saxon Algebra b/c he likes he spiral approach. We'll evaluate more thoroughly after he completes MUS/Lof this year. Wrap up: he has a 2 year algebra plan.

rising 6th grader is a math whiz! She can do the work of Algebra already, but still is on the fence in her mental analyzing. I.e. she's not quite Dialectic in thought process, so I don't want to put her in Alg. yet. She's going to finish Sing. 6B, the MUS Alg. After that, I'll probably put her in Foerster's and allow for a slow progression...we'll have to balance maturity and ability over the next year or two for her. SHE prefers one program at a time, so I happily comply.

FWIW, I will do Alg 2 after Alg 1 and then hit geometry.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

Wow, all this makes me so glad for BJU math! I can get everything I need in *one* place. ;)

We tried that waaay back in K and it didn't work for us. :) I didn't enjoy teaching from it, either....I do know plenty of people who it works beautifully for, tho.

AND...it might be a lot easier if I had only one, but alas, I'm schoolin' 6! :001_huh: (gulp)

It's worth it. It's much easier to facilitate than it looks on paper. I tend to make sure we are covered, well okay, over covered! So far, it's working they understand math well and not that I care about tests (really don't), but do appreciate they have test Extremely well using this method. And, I am able to hit their individual needs, a beauty of home schooling :)

Wow, all this makes me so glad for BJU math! I can get everything I need in *one* place. ;)

Ditto Tina.:D We used to use BJU. We liked it OK, but once HomeSat went by the wayside we had to find something different so that I wasn't having to teach 5 levels of math (eventually 6). Plus I found that they really hadn't retained very much, once we got away from it.:glare:

It's good, but way too teacher-intensive for us.

My head is spinning too. LOL. I tried two math programs for four years and if drove me bonkers. Last year I kept with one math program.

I hope to keep one math program per child this year too. Although my 8yr. old will be using CLE and I'm tempted to add MM:001_huh:.

For the record my 6th, 4th & 1st are using MM only. 2nd grader is using CLE.

I too am thinking of adding a second math. I was just talking to someone today who told me Schiller's Math is the only way to go and her brother-in-law who is this great "Mathy" person says that Saxon isn't that great. I hate hearing the negatives AFTER I've already committed to a cirriculum. If there were only 1 Math curriculum out there then things would be so much easier! :)

Carolyn

First I'll write, then I'll read (not my normal way of doing this, but there are 20 replies already)

We've combined various things at various times.

SM & MUS has been our long standing one. I don't bother to correlate them, but it did work out for us one year when dd did Epsilon (fractions) and then the next did Zeta (decimals) and this flip flopped with SM so she got some good exposure to them.

SM & MEP. Like this, but too much time for us.

SM, MUS & CWP--my best choice so far. I do the CWP after we're done the section in SM.

Other things we've combined are in Algebra, so that isn't what you probably what to know right now, and we're going to do a combined book approach to high school Geometry.

Perhaps we should be called Math Maniacs, except my kids don't like it if it's school, but they do enjoy reading the Murderous Maths books.

I have one main math. The extras either come behind to reinforce/practice/introduce concepts.

At the present I am doing MEP in it's entirety as a review, and using Miquon to introduce new concepts.

The key to balancing multiple maths - in my limited experience - is having one math that is systematic, that you do daily. Then supplementing with things that are fun and very different from the daily math. I probably wouldn't do both MUS and SM in their entirity....but I've never done MUS so don't take my word for it.

I do both SM & MUS in their entirety. However, we sometimes rush through some sections if they're easy. Now we do CWP, too. We're systematic with all of it. Our dc are mathy, so it's more because I like to have a very strong foundation in math. I don't teach them the MUS, though, but let them watch the DVD and help if needed.

Just to be clear, I used RS for several years, did A-D, and tried combining it with CLE, Horizons, SM CWP, etc. to iron out our issues. That's what drove me to BJU, because I could get everything I wanted (advanced problems, review pages, strong conceptual teaching, etc.) in one place. I like RS better for the lower levels and will do it again. In talking with people, it seems many people don't use the extra workbooks BJU sells for the math stuff and then find they didn't get enough practice. In the new editions, they've rectified that by reformatting and putting those extra things on the cd in the tm. I think that will be great too. So it's only in doing ALL those components that I've found it to be complete. Of course I add Math Olympiad problems and living math books, so who am I to talk about not combining, lol. :)

. In talking with people, it seems many people don't use the extra workbooks BJU sells for the math stuff and then find they didn't get enough practice. In the new editions, they've rectified that by reformatting and putting those extra things on the cd in the tm.

Yes, this does seem to be the standard situation with BJU's math. People either don't use the TE or don't use all it's components. I personally think it's excellent (as you know ;)) and have been using it for three years with, what I feel are, decent standardized test scores (94% math comp, 93% math concepts). I could attribute some of that to Singapore, but I won't, because we were awful about actually being consistent in using two maths. Awful. I would say that every 9 out of 10 days we only used BJU. Our CWP book was brought out periodically. I am hoping our use of CLE alongside BJU will be a better combo, but if we don't get to that either....no biggie...BJU will be enough.

Also, the new editions of BJU's math are excellent! More problems, more difficulty, more everything! I don't think they will need to continue publishing the extra books once they get all the editions revised. Our new Math 7 text is quite full and to be honest I don't think my ds will need CLE at all. I am only adding it in for the spiral review. It was cheap to purchase, so if we don't use it....again...no biggie. ;)

Now, having said that, I would NEVER want to teach 5 different math levels from BJU (or any other math book! :lol:). So I can completely back those who find it overwhelming with many different students and grades to teach. If I had a lot of children left at home, BJU, though excellent, would not be at the top of my list. :tongue_smilie: It is teacher intensive, and it should be because it is made to be. That is actually part of the program's strength....its teacher-led teaching. ;)

I use 2 math programs with my K and 2nd grade students. They need supplementation in some areas. They do their core program (Time4Learning) every day, then 2 days a week we work on the supplemental program (RightStart). I pick and choose RightStart lessons and activities - we will not do all of them.

My older students just use 1 math program (one uses Time4Learning, the other RightStart). Hopefully, using 2 programs now with my younger ones will give them the foundation they need so they won't have to have a supplemental program when they're older.

Blessings,

Laura

This year (we haven't started school yet) dd will be doing LoF Beginning Algebra and CLE 8. amtmcm and I ended up going with the same things without even knowing it! :) We then pm'd some and figured out that we'll probably do 4 CLE lessons per week and LoF twice per week. If I follow that plan with my dd, we will get through LoF BA (without the Home Companion) and through CLE 9. We can do CLE 10 in the summer. If I decide we need to use the HC, then we'll have to readjust. I think it's very doable!

I KNOW y'all exist.;) I'd love to hear from those of you who use 2 different math programs and how you do this. Do you use one as your main program and then just incorporate the other here and there? Do you use the full program of both? Do you use MOST of both? Etc.

I'm considering having some of my kids do both Singapore and MUS, and I'm trying to figure out how to do that without sending them into Math Overload.

I only have one that is what I would consider "mathy." The others don't necessarily STRUGGLE, but they aren't just uber math-oriented like he is either.

I pretty much use all of both Singapore (Primary text, Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems) and all of Right Start. Singapore is the one I love philosophically, but it makes some leaps my kids don't follow. They are very hands on also. I know the HIG's have hands on work, but I bought RS before I really figured that out. I adore RS more the longer I use it. It really covers the basics well, does a great job of teaching math facts and satisfies the hands on needs my kids have.

How does that work out practically?

My oldest does 2 RS lessons a day, and 5 Singapore pages.

My 9yo does 1 RS lesson a day and 3 Singapore pages.

My 8yo does 1 RS lesson a day and 2 Singapore pages.

My 6yo does 1 RS lesson, game or worksheet a day. He will start Singapore in 2nd grade.

The girls all play games together daily, and my youngest girl plays a game with my ds once a week.

It isn't a course I would necessarily recommend to everyone. You have to be sure of what your goals are and how the programs meet them to keep it up.

Heather

We use Saxon as our primary and supplement with Singapore. Our math time consists of both dc going through the Saxon meeting book work with me. They each then do one lesson from Saxon. I go between two dc helping with Saxon lesson. Then they each do one lesson from Singapore (either several pages from textbook, an exercise from workbook, or problems from CWP) I don't bother with correlating every lesson based on subject matter. Since we have started supplementing with Singapore both dc are enjoying math a lot more, granted we spend more time on math each day, but they are learning so much and having fun seeing all of the different ways to do math. We also use Rainbow Rock and Mathtacular for fun.

HTH :)

Oh my goodness! You're a woman after my own heart! :lol:

We've been doing Singapore, & I had that meltdown am-I-ruining-my-kids panic attack & ordered LoF, got it, looked at it, & although I think I'll like it, I chickened out of making it the Main Math. Ordered MUS.

I think I love them all. But I've found that math is my favorite subject to teach (even though I'm a Lit major, lol), so maybe that makes me more of a math curric junkie? Although using them all at once is more of an art than an addiction...I think. :001_huh:

I guess we'll see the effects when the kids are grown, huh? :biggrinjester::willy_nilly::blink:

Well I'm in the process of ordering Singapore - I already had all my MUS stuff and the LOF I was going to use with my one ds this next year. Now to figure out how I want to actually schedule it all out.:tongue_smilie:

I think I'll use MUS as our main math and use Singapore to help with the different ways of thinking and such. MUS will only require 125 days max (assuming they do 2 workbook pages per day or a test), and we have to do school for 172 days here, so I may have them do Singapore 2 days/week and MUS 3.

I think.:lol:

For us it is a juggling act. Our main program is Singapore Math. We do the text and workbook, IP and CWP for several days per week.

Several days a week I also use Saxon. I usually combine several Saxon lessons into one day - carefully reading through each problem and deciding which problems are the most helpful/useful. In our experience, we have not needed to do every problem.

I also use EPGY on Fridays, but that is a lower priority in that I view it more as an interesting supplement - not her main math curriculum.

I have looked at MEP Math, which I also like. I will probably use parts of that with or in addition to Singapore at times when it offers something I do not think the others do.

So I use ALL of Singapore, Much of Saxon, and small parts of others (like MEP, Hands on Equations,...).

The most important thing to me at this point is to make sure that she has a strong base in math. I have kept her going in a consistent manner with both Singapore and Saxon from the start.

This answer is almost what I do.

I use a whole lotta maths. For me, the key is having a clear vision of where I want my kid to be in math and using the programs as tools to get her there. I have in the past used nothing, Saxon, Horizons, MUS, BJU, Ray's, Singapore, Math Mammoth, Thinkwell, Key to .., Alex's, MEP, RS, Miquon, LoF, and a few others in the higher maths (I have one all the way through). I finally realized that it is the teacher and not the math program that makes the difference.

This year, I think we are using MEP one lesson daily plus about 10 minutes of oral review with Ray's and 15 to 20 minutes of Singapore CWP. When we master long division, I'm going to put LoF Fractions into there somewhere - maybe as a short term- diversion.

We use MUS as our primary and have added Horizons as a secondary along with extra manips with books, living books and games to supplement what we are doing.

Right now the plan for my 2 5th graders is to have them spend a week on MUS(which works out to 1 chapter), and then a week on horizons. Because they are still working through MUS Gamma I have started them on horizons 3, so for now it is still fun and relatively easy but they are still learning lots of new concepts. Over the summer they often asked to do teh horizons math because they loved the book, so I think it will go well. Fridays is games, wrapups, or other supplemental products.

For my 1st grader we will alternate full programs, so MUS Primer (needs to finish this from last year), Horizons K, MUS alpha then Horizons 1 etc.

Once they finish MUS Zeta and Horizons 6 I am switching them to a combo of TT with LOF to supplement.

Oh my goodness! You're a woman after my own heart! :lol:

We've been doing Singapore, & I had that meltdown am-I-ruining-my-kids panic attack & ordered LoF, got it, looked at it, & although I think I'll like it, I chickened out of making it the Main Math. Ordered MUS.

I think I love them all. But I've found that math is my favorite subject to teach (even though I'm a Lit major, lol), so maybe that makes me more of a math curric junkie? Although using them all at once is more of an art than an addiction...I think. :001_huh:

I guess we'll see the effects when the kids are grown, huh? :biggrinjester::willy_nilly::blink:

If there was a LoF that would fit with my ds's level of SM & MUS, I'd get it if it were still in the budget and do all three of them. But then, we don't make MUS our main math, and there isn't a LoF that's ready to be a main math for that level yet. The fractions & decimals books aren't complete courses.

My 14 yo, who did Dolciani Algebra along with a chunk of Gelfand's Algebra (so we're talking rigourous math) is going to do LoF Geometry as her main one. I told her she had to do two, and that LoF had to be one of them, but that it could be the extra. We're pairing it up with a 1973 Geometry by Isadore Dressler.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Singapore for our main math. Then supplement with Saxon. They do every problem of Singapore. I read through the lesson of Saxon (which is usually a review to them.) I then pick out 8-10 problems for them to do. Every 5th lesson is a test, which they do every problem of, then I can see where they are struggling. I don't teach for standarized tests, but using the Saxon has helped them to see it written in more American terms. Singapore was just a litttle different that they struggled on the test. Using Saxon helps give them just a little extra practice. They don't seem to overwhelmed. I have also used the Intensive Math and Challenging word problems from Singapore-but I've lighten up some...happens with age.:lol:

Sharon

triplets-grade 6 (2girls, 1 boy)

son-9th grade