Menu

Help....Recognizing b & d

rousselab

Does anyone have any suggestions for how you made the lowercase b and d recognized successfully by your child? May be having problems with lowercase p and q as well. LOL. Have tried a few things, but still seem to be having issues with these two. What has worked for you? Any good "tricks"?

Thanks,

Anita

My son still uses this method--make a circle with the fingers and thumb of each hand, then point your pointer finger up. This makes a b shape with your left hand and a d shape with your right. The b and d are in alpha order, and he can tell which way the "bump" goes. Ds still struggles a bit with b and d, but this helped him alot!

My son still uses this method--make a circle with the fingers and thumb of each hand, then point your pointer finger up. This makes a b shape with your left hand and a d shape with your right. The b and d are in alpha order, and he can tell which way the "bump" goes. Ds still struggles a bit with b and d, but this helped him alot!

This is what worked with my son. I got the idea here. :)

This is also what we did but we put the b and d together and said we were making a "bed". The letter b is first in the word bed and the d is last you can remember which is which. :001_smile:

Piggybacking on the last posts, in Phonics Pathways there's a line drawing with the word bed incorporated into an illustration of a bed. It is on page 35 of the current edition, and you should be able to see it if you use Amazon's Look Inside feature. Search the word "bed," and then scroll down to click on p. 35.

I copied the image and laminated it as a bookmark for my daughter. She puts it into the book she's reading and refers to it as needed.

My dd(6) had this problem last year when she was five. I told her d has a donut...and if the donut comes first then it is a d. "/d/ as in donut". I told her b has a back that comes first or you could say b has a belly.

We did this and I never got frustrated with her when she made a mistake. I would just point out if it had a donut or belly...and she would go back and correct her mistake. She now knows the difference between the two.

The way Handwriting without Tears teaches letters also helped her avoid the b & d reversals.

Our LA program has you make letters out of sandpaper, write them in cornmeal, make them out of salt dough, etc. I think the ides is to help them learn it kinesthetically (however you spell that word). My 5yo is struggling with it right now. But, if I remember correctly, my dd's ps teachers always told me that letter reversal is very common at least through 1st or 2nd grade. It may be later (I pulled her out in 2nd grade). They always said not to stress about it--the kids will get it eventually with enough exposure.

Don't try to teach them at the same time, but only as they come up in reading/writing/spelling/etc.

b is a tall letter with a short part; it begins with a line (the tall part) and ends with a circle (the short part). When you say /b/, your lips make sort of a line.

d is a short letter with a tall part; it begins with a circle (the short part) and ends with a line (the tall part). When you say /d/, your lips make sort of a circle.

p begins with a line and ends with a circle. When you say /p/ your lips make a line.

q is almost always written with u in English: qu. q begins with a circle and ends with a line (but your lips don't make a line when you say /kw/:D). Remembering that it is almost always qu and begins with a circle usually helps.

Just found another "bed" trick if you don't want to print out the Phonics Pathways image. Got this from progressivephonics.com

Have the child do 2 thumbs up to "make the bed". Then just have them push the bed together. This is something that they can do anywhere/anytime!