Menu

Kindergarten Question

bdroberts1998

This is my first year homeschooling. I ordered my ds curriculum from alpha and omega. Not sure If I like it or not. My question is when learning the sounds of the alphabet how come some curriculum start in order and some don't. The one that I got from alpha and omega don't. Starts out with letter a,b, t, m and so on. I'm just really confused right now. If I can remember when my dd was in kindergarten she done letter of the week in abc order. Which way do I go. Do I go like the book says or just go in order. He knows his abc's. He just needs to learn to recognize, write, and the sounds. We touched on this a little last year but he needs to go over it again. I just don't won't to confuse him. Thanks for all you help.

Doniell

From the letters you typed out I would guess that the curriculum is going to move into blending quickly. Not a bad thing for some kids. I am guessing but just from what you typed, I would expect the program to continue teaching sounds while adding in simple CVC words like, bat, mat, ect...

Karen

It doesn't really matter which order he learns them in. If he already knows the ABCs, then he knows the order anyway. I have never used that curric, but they may choose the easiest letter sounds to say or write, or the most common ones found in words to begin with. I don't know why. I am just making some guesses. But I would stick with the curric, because there surely is a reason for it. It wouldn't hurt for you all to recognize the letters and practice them in other places too though. I found hanging an alphabet poster in our "schoolroom" helped my dd when she was learning her letters and sounds. Maybe something like that, where he could see them in their proper order could be helpful for you too?

Thank you guys. I was really stressing out over this. Like I said this is my first year so i'm kinda of scrared. After reading over the books I think I will like it. The only thing that kinda of worries me is it goes over a letter a day. (1 letter each lesson) I don't think he could do just a letter a day. Mabey 2 a week. In the 2nd book it starts blending them. One good thing about homeschooling you can stop and review when needed.:)

And after the Leapfrog Letter Factory video is the Leapfrog Word Factory Video. We just got that one for my 5 yr old for her bday. It starts them on putting the letters together. You might want that one too since he will start blending the letters soon!

We got ours for $10 each at Target. As far as videos go, they are good.

If you get the leap frog DVD's he'll have the letters and their sounds memorized by the end of the week:D

If not faster. We bought the "Letter factory" for Dot just before her third birthday when we began homeschooling Yacko. Within three days she had the whole thing memorized.:lol:

Most programs don't go in order. You get more words more quickly by adding sounds out of order. I'd actually be concerned about using a program that went in order for reading instruction. For preschool, letter of the week in order is fine; but for reading instruction, they get a few needs met, including feeling accomplished, by learning them out of order which allows for more words.

OH, and thought I'm anti-videos, I COMPLETELY agree with using the Letter Factory video. AWESOME! Most 3-6yos will learn all the letter sounds in very short order :) I got the 6yo I have no the Letter Factory video when he was 3. That same month, he knew all the sounds. 3.5 years later, after not seeing it all this time, he can tell you what was in each room like "c-c-c-cold" and "eh? eh?" and "buh buh buh buh" (to Beethoven's 5th).

Edited by 2J5M9K

I have no experience other than A Beka, but as has been mentioned previously, A Beka starts with vowels and then consonants. That makes perfect sense to me, because once you have the vowels down, add a few consonants and then you're reading. If you start in ABC order you're not going to be able to put many things together early on, since a lot of the more common consonants are closer to the middle of the alphabet. My boys did A Beka's K5 program last year and were reading by the end of the year.