Menu

I know I've got three little kids...

and one more on the way, but...

How do I keep their little paws off of my stuff?

I was just going through my jewelry box - where not only my jewelry resides, but a few precious little keepsakes and miscellaneous things are kept as well. I noticed a couple of things missing - one important, one not so important.

Any suggestions? I can't lock up everything, I want them to feel free to come into my room, but I'm tired of them prowling through my drawers.

Thanks for any words of wisdom you can impart!

My boys LOVE to play in my jewelry drawers! They especially love my bracelet drawer. They play pirate and need treasure! Apparently, I have the only treasure in the house. LOL

What I did was allow them to go into that drawer only. All of the other drawers are off limits. I keep my not-to-nice stuff in the bracelet drawer, they still get to play with it, and my nice stuff is left alone. As long as they have one drawer to play in, they tend to leave the other stuff alone. My really nice stuff (or sentimental to me) is kept in a lock box.

When I was young I would sit at my mom's vanity area. I would just touch everything! The makeup, jewelry, accessories of any kind. It made me feel grown up, pretty, and important. I never wanted her to catch me, I didn't want to get in trouble or worse...be embarrassed. I would just simply take some time to go through your little treasure box with your kids. Maybe give your children a special box of their own..for their own little treasures.

For those inquisitive years we installed locks on our closet door and the things that really mattered went into there..... these were simple flip type locks that we placed high up on the door frame. The kids never figured them out.

The kids still got into other things (a whole bottle of makeup massaged into my oldest's thighs one time, etc.)...... but the treasured keepsakes were out of reach.

My DD is generally not allowed in our bedroom without us. By default it is where we keep everything that we don't want her to get into. I think whether it is a closet, a room or a drawer, adults need some private space. Kids are curious, so you have to be the one to enforce it. So if you don't want them to mess with your stuff you have to keep them from messing with your stuff.

I usually just keep the drawer closed and I also keep my bedroom door closed as well. I have two curious little monkeys ... what i call my boys ... and I have not had a problem yet. The only time they play with my jewelry is when they see it lol.

Out of my 8 here at home, about 3 of them are serious "browsers". I have told them that they are not to touch my things... open my drawers... go into my room without permission...

My room is my place... my special place for quiet and comfort... they need to respect that. Since a few of them have a much harder time with that boundary, I keep it locked and the keys are in my pocket. I keep a spare key in a high kitchen cupboard in case I don't have my keys and the door is locked. AND I change that hiding place for my spare key, because I have 1 particular child who will figure it out and really, really does not have the self control to obey yet.

Special times with children are a treasure... they happen in the living room or at the table or in the kid's rooms... I love to hug them and read to them. But, my room is my space. I, personally, have to have that space because with this many kids, I feel crowded and NEED to get alone sometimes. And, also, if the door is not locked, we will be missing hairbrushes, boxes (yes, the entire box) of q-tips, I'll get into the shower and my shampoo/conditioner is missing (taken to the other bathroom by a dd who didn't like the other bathroom shower contents), and I also keep a couple bags of groceries in the bedroom... my older teens get the munchies from time to time (as in, every day!) and will eat up what I buy for school lunches, so I keep those in my room. Now everything stays where it should be and my space is respected by lock and key...