Menu

May I please share our FINALLY completed bathroom...

One of our twins is severely disabled and we have been in the process of converting one of our baths to a roll-in shower for him. The process actually started the first week in January and the contractor absolutely did NOT know what he was doing. Fortunately for us we did not have to pay for his "goofs" because the Dept. of Mental Retardation had given us assistance through a program they have so as to keep him at home with us rather than placing him in a group home. Well, seven long months later it is finished!! We are very pleased and plan to use it tomorrow for the first time. If you click on my profile I will post the pictures there....

Thanks for letting me share! :001_smile:

Looks great, Penny! As another mom to a special needs kiddo who needs to be ultra-creative in accommodating disabilities also, I just wanted to say congratulations! It never ceases to amaze me the effort we put forth for our babies... kudos to you and your dh for all your hard work! I'm sure you'll reap the rewards!

Penny, what a blessing this will be for you! I hope it makes your life easier.

My 10 year old dd is profoundly disabled. Lots of adaptations around here too, but wondering what to do as she gets bigger and heavier:).

Blessings,

lisa

Well that is definitely an issue that we really weren't prepared for. We had requested a hoyer lift from insurance for years and never could get one. I do think things are changing for parents of special needs kids, but it is still a constant struggle. It took me having to have spinal fusion surgery about 5 years ago before insurance decided we needed help. BUT, we wouldn't change anything about having him in our home. :001_smile:

The shower looks great! Reminded me of when I was in Israel staying on a kibbutz we had a bathroom like this one. If your bathroom is like the one we had, after showering we needed to rake/squeegee the floor so all the water would head down the drain. Not hard at all. If you have to do this just make sure you get a squeegee with a long handle. :001_smile:

Aw, thanks everyone - my husband took the first shower in there this morning and we did have a little water flow beyond the shower curtain but nothing major. So, thanks Jen for the long handled-squeegee idea - ours is short handled so I can see the benefit of the longer. It does slope but the squeegee will definitely help.

I told him we were going to all stand around and watch since he was first! :D He said fine, but NO pictures! :lol:

Astrid, the vase and peony sprig came from TJMaxx - I think it was less than $5 and it looks SO real. I love peonies - just wished they stayed bloomed longer than they do. Thanks!

I love it. The bathroom and your school room looks so peaceful and warm. I love the color of the walls in the bathroom. You did a great job. I hope your ds will enjoy using his new bathroom.

Thank you, Lisa. I love it when people say that our home is peaceful and warm. It truly is and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Well, I'm off to go give ds his first shower before his next tube feeding!

I love it, and can I just say that one thing that almost immediately popped into my head was "Wow, it looks like it'd be so easy to clean!" haha! It looks great and I bet you feel so relieved!

I would recommend getting some sort of non-slip mats maybe... I can imagine that even if the water didn't get everywhere that the tile would probably at least get sweaty and maaaybe slippery...? It's so pretty though!!!

Yep, that's me - boring white tile everywhere but I too was thinking about having to clean that large of a tiled area! (And if ever necessary just bleach it!) And actually the floor isn't very slippery at all because of the small tiles and sanded grout. But thanks for the heads up! Don't need any ER visits to deal with for sure! :D

Off to the shower!

Edited by Penny from Tenny
new thought