Menu

Salsa Spanish is no longer free!

Osaubi

I went to the Salsa website today to do some research on our fall co-op class, and found this note:

GBP Education offers this video to Georgia Educators at no charge via the GPB Streaming site (Here). For others who are interested, this video is available for purchase via gpb.org/shop.

They no longer offer the videos for free to people outside Georgia. Now I know why they were having problems with their videos! :glare:

Shoot!! Irasshai Japanese is no longer available either. Actually I went to the website, and lessons 60 or so and up are still there, but not the beginning ones. Crud! My son really liked the teacher :o(. Major bummer, especially since the dvds will be priced way too high. I can't even find them anywhere on the gpb site. Grrrr.

I called GPB today and asked them why they took it down...the woman was really rude and said I could buy it if I really wanted it. Anyway, not worth arguing with, but they don't plan to make it accessible to anyone outside of Georgia.

Has anyone found another program that is appropriate (and fun like Salsa) for my 3.5 year old?

I can't believe they went from free to $1200! I wonder how they came up with that amount?! I mean, I think Rosetta Stone is expensive, and it's not near that much! That's sad!

That is quite expensive. I guess we'll all have to start lobbying our local libraries to buy a set...that's way too much for an individual to spring for. I was wanting to give it a try, too. :(

I'll ask my library here, everyone else please ask their libraries so when I move somewhere else, the library we move to will have it! :D

I called GPB today and asked them why they took it down...the woman was really rude and said I could buy it if I really wanted it. Anyway, not worth arguing with, but they don't plan to make it accessible to anyone outside of Georgia.

I have a Georgia educator's account on Discovery Streaming (the same account I had when I was teaching in a public school), and it's still not showing as available.

I think you might have to go in thru the GPB portal to Discovery Streaming.

A friend of mine found this free website for Spanish and other languages as well. We are going to try it out in a co-op setting. Be warned that is takes forever to download.

http://www.miscositas.com/spanish.html

Click on the Thematic Spanish and it will take you to the 4 units they offer.

• 5 weeks later...
Shoot!! Irasshai Japanese is no longer available either. Actually I went to the website, and lessons 60 or so and up are still there, but not the beginning ones. Crud! My son really liked the teacher :o(. Major bummer, especially since the dvds will be priced way too high. I can't even find them anywhere on the gpb site. Grrrr.

Darn it! I wish I had seen this post before I went and paid $20 for the workbook to accompany the videos! I had planned on using this course with my dd since last year!

Does anyone know of a free Japanese video course with worksheets or printable workbooks?:banghead:

OK I don't know if I was supposed to find this but I found a link to the Irrashai Videos. I don't know how long they will keep them out there but if you want them, you might consider downloading and saving to disk....

Go to : http://dl.gpb.org/vsx/GPBPro/diglib_search/search

For the drop down menu named BASIC, choose "japanese" by choose 'description' (drop down menu to the right)

Then for the drop down menu named SHOW, choose "video"

Then hit the search button (same line as where you typed 'japanese')

The videos are in there!

I don't know if any of the other discontinued courses are in there buy they may be. Like I said before, I'd get them downloaded and saved before they go poof like they did on the main site link.

OK I don't know if I was supposed to find this but I found a link to the Irrashai Videos. I don't know how long they will keep them out there but if you want them, you might consider downloading and saving to disk....

For the drop down menu named BASIC, choose "japanese" by choose 'description' (drop down menu to the right)

Then for the drop down menu named SHOW, choose "video"

Then hit the search button (same line as where you typed 'japanese')

The videos are in there!

I don't know if any of the other discontinued courses are in there buy they may be. Like I said before, I'd get them downloaded and saved before they go poof like they did on the main site link.

YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!!! Thanks for the link. I am on it now!!

:hurray:

Cool! I just checked the Salsa Spanish videos and if you search by TITLE "Salsa" they all pop up! I'm glad I was able to help. :001_smile:

Thank you! I watched the first one, and it's different than before. Lots more segments interspersed with the original story to reinforce the vocabulary and add some fun. Still, it's good. I like it a lot better than anything else I've seen! Thank you for telling us about it! I don't see a way to download, but just being able to watch them again is great! :)

I was able to download on my pc (no luck with my mac but it was probably just me). Play the video and either right click on it with the mouse to bring up the options or at the bottom right of the screen click the buttons and see if you can get a option to download to RealPlayer. I had to play with it for awhile before I worked it out. Hopes this helps!

Through this same link I typed in Salsa Spanish and was able to view several episodes but in a tiny little viewer screen. I didn't look to see how many.

I have Unitedstreaming Plus but we're in FL so I wasn't able to get Irrashai videos through my subscription. I was able to get something called 'Salsa-riffic' videos but I don't think these are the same as the Salsa videos that GPB has (?). I called and left a message with GPB to see if there they will have Irrashai available to Unitedstreaming and if I can get it in FL but nobody will call me back. :(

Edited by 2cents

I have Unitedstreaming Plus but we're in FL so I wasn't able to get Irrashai videos through my subscription. I was able to get something called 'Salsa-riffic' videos but I don't think these are the same as the Salsa videos that GPB has (?). I called and left a message with GPB to see if there they will have Irrashai available to Unitedstreaming and if I can get it in FL but nobody will call me back. :(

Salsa riffic are not the same as salsa spanish:(

When you download to real player does it download faster than real time? I am downloading now and it seems to be downloading as it plays the show instead of a faster download speed. Is there a way to download them faster?