Menu

Uncle Tom's Cabin...Is this a "do not miss" or not

We're doing Amer. Lit. this year, too, and opted to NOT do Uncle Tom's Cabin -- just WAYYY too many other more pressing classics we want to get thru. We may read a few excerpts in our Norton's Anthology of American Literature, however, just to get the flavor. Just sharing our decision! ;) BEST of luck, whatever you decide. Warmest regards, Lori D.

That is exactly what we came to also....I knew I could NOT miss Huck Finn. It is one of my all time favorites. And we are heavy this year on math and science. And there just has to be a balance.

Thanks, Lori, just needed someone to confirm what I was already thinking...

Blessings,

Brenda:001_smile:

Whether Uncle Tom's Cabin or another choice, either way I think you should balance the "white" books with at least one that represents the African-American perspective from THEIR point of view. Uncle Tom's Cabin is wonderful for this because it presents several different faces of slavery. The author was also very intentional about including many, many true-to-life stories, which makes the book both a fascinating story and one that is accurate as well.

Another good one that is more modern is Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neal Hurston. I have a high opinion of this book--it brings out many facets of African-American culture with sensitivity and richness, and is an enriching read IMHO.

The reason I say this is that the African-American story is too major a theme in our nation's history and our present context not to give it some focused attention.

This book is beautifully written--if you have younger dc some great copy work possibilities.

It is only 127 pp long, and could do triple duty as history, autobiography genre, and just plain great writing. This is one a my favorites from 6 years of following WTM lists.

Personally I think that The Life of Frederick Douglass is a do not miss book. My soon is doing American Literature this year also and he will read Uncle Tom's Cabin and The Life of Frederick Douglass and Huckleberry Finn and WAY too many more to list here. But we are big history buffs here and REALLY BIG readers.

Have fun with your studies this year!

Gloria

Whether Uncle Tom's Cabin or another choice, either way I think you should balance the "white" books with at least one that represents the African-American perspective from THEIR point of view.

Harriet Beecher Stowe was white, though....Uncle Tom's Cabin has its own issues with stereotyping. I think it's very important historically, but not so much as literature. IMHO, it's enough for high schoolers to know what UTC was and why it was important. There are a number of excellent slave narratives (Frederick Douglass, Harriet Jacobs, et. al.) that I'd have a high schooler read before UTC.

Harriet Beecher Stowe was white, though....Uncle Tom's Cabin has its own issues with stereotyping. I think it's very important historically, but not so much as literature. IMHO, it's enough for high schoolers to know what UTC was and why it was important. There are a number of excellent slave narratives (Frederick Douglass, Harriet Jacobs, et. al.) that I'd have a high schooler read before UTC.

I agree that the slave narratives offer an important perspective. The bottom line for me is that the African-American perspective be represented more than what is presented in just Huck Finn and Red Badge of Courage.

Just for the sake of continuing an interesting discussion (not arguing back):

Yes, Stowe was white, but her work still has considerable value towards representing African-Americans. The strongest argument for this is the fact that UTC is based heavily on her personal interviews and on real experiences of real people (not entirely, of course). Another argument for her work is the fact that it represents such a wide variety of African-American experience--it's an efficient package. Finally, yes there are some stereotyping exaggerations but often stereotypes have a basis in reality. Stereotypes become harmful when the real people behind them are marginalized and reduced to the single dimension inherent in stereotypes. A careful student who balances her reading with historical study and common sense can see past the stereotype and try to understand the reality the stereotype represents.

I think Uncle Tom's Cabin is not to be missed because of its importance in American history. It's one thing to know a book was important, but quite another thing to actually read the book. Also, many of the characters are part of the American iconography, and important to know about from a cultural literacy standpoint. Since I read the book several years ago, I've seen literary references to Uncle Tom, Simon Legree, Eliza, and Eva St. Claire in other works. I wonder how many references I missed in the first few decades of my life, simply because I wasn't familiar with the characters?

Whether Uncle Tom's Cabin or another choice, either way I think you should balance the "white" books with at least one that represents the African-American perspective from THEIR point of view. Uncle Tom's Cabin is wonderful for this because it presents several different faces of slavery. The author was also very intentional about including many, many true-to-life stories, which makes the book both a fascinating story and one that is accurate as well.

To balance points-of-view we'll also be including:

- excerts from Frederick Douglas and Booker T. Washington autobiographies

- biography of either Harriet Tubman or Sojourner Truth

- excerpts from To Be a Slave (memories of actual former slaves)

- Warriors Don't Cry (autobiography of 1 of the first 9 students to integrate Little Rock Central High)

- Black Like Me (white journalist experiences life as an African American by disguising himself and traveling in the Deep South 1950s as black)

We'll also be including some works from a Native American point of view, plus literature from Jewish, immigrant, and other perspectives. Trying to touch on as many elements of the "melting pot" as we can! ;) Warmly, Lori D.

To balance points-of-view we'll also be including:

- excerts from Frederick Douglas and Booker T. Washington autobiographies

- biography of either Harriet Tubman or Sojourner Truth

- excerpts from To Be a Slave (memories of actual former slaves)

- Warriors Don't Cry (autobiography of 1 of the first 9 students to integrate Little Rock Central High)

- Black Like Me (white journalist experiences life as an African American by disguising himself and traveling in the Deep South 1950s as black)

We'll also be including some works from a Native American point of view, plus literature from Jewish, immigrant, and other perspectives. Trying to touch on as many elements of the "melting pot" as we can! ;) Warmly, Lori D.

Cool! Looks like a great line-up--enjoy the journey. :)

I agree with the posts in favor of reading it.

I finally read the book at age 43, after years of learning how important it was in shaping opinions prior to the civil war. The book is referred to frequently and there are many illusions to it in our culture.

And this is when I realized I was culturally deprived by not having read it: My son was in a performance of The King and I (Oscar and Hammerstein) at a local regional theater. There is a scene where a big performance is staged for the Kind of Siam. Guess what the story is? Uncle Tom's Cabin. So my first encounter with Tom, Eliza, Eva, and Simon Legree was in a musical??!!! I really felt culturally deprived!!!!!!!!!

We will read the book as part of our history co-op and though I have the Spark Notes, I will not be making heavy assignments or using it as part of a full blown lit course. I just want the kids to read and enjoy it. (so when they see The King and I, they'll know what the heck is going on in the second act!!)

Wendy

I think it is a must-read, but I'm not sure it's a must-read NOW. Both UTC and Red Badge could be highly disturbing to children. So could Frederick Douglass, for that matter.

I plan to wait until my children are a bit older before we tackle those works. But we WILL tackle them, for certain.

...within the last year or two. I found it very moving and harrowing and inspiring. I agree that it is a must read, and gives rise to a lot of moral discussions, especially for Christians.

However, I decided against assigning it to my DD. She is too tender hearted. It is just too emotional for her. If she wants to read it on her own, I won't object; but I'm not making her do it this year. I think high school is soon enough; for her, middle school would be too early.

...within the last year or two. I found it very moving and harrowing and inspiring. I agree that it is a must read, and gives rise to a lot of moral discussions, especially for Christians.

However, I decided against assigning it to my DD. She is too tender hearted. It is just too emotional for her. If she wants to read it on her own, I won't object; but I'm not making her do it this year. I think high school is soon enough; for her, middle school would be too early.

:iagree:

I read it for the first time about four years ago and wondered, "Where has this book been all my life?" I had heard about it, of course, but I had never actually read it for myself.

But I'm not going to be in a hurry for my sensitive, prone-to-nightmares DD to read it too soon.

It is rather long.

There are so many good books and just not enough time!!!! I'm going to spread this one out over 3 months so as not to burden the co-op kids with another 50 pages or more a week. They are all taking a lit class together, so I don't know if they would want to read another long book on top of the lit assignments.

My kids and I listened to UTC on tape in the car and it was by far one of the most intellectually challenging books I have experienced on the slavery issue. I agree wholeheartedly that this book should be read by everyone! First, it is a book that shaped the viewpoints of a whole nation. Lincoln himself acknowledged the power of this prose when he made that famous comment to HBS. For this reason alone, I believe it is important to read the book. Second, the book represents the pluralistic voices that contributed to the issue of slavery. HBS represents just about every type of voice and position and this offers a far more complex picture of the times and the issues than most other books on slavery I have read (including those mentioned in other posts.) The pluralistic voices really make the reader (or listener in my case) understand how so many people from different contexts could think so diametrically opposed on the subject--it transports us back to the complexity of the times. Third, the book was a great read/listen. My kids--at that time, 9 and 11--were on the edge of their seats as the story unfolded. Fourth, as a Christian, it opened up a lot of discussion on how faith was being used to support both sides of the slavery argument. It challenged us to look at scripture and figure out what scripture actually said (as opposed to how people wanted to interpret it.) For this last reason alone, it was worth it! It was a great lesson in discernment....don't take other people's word for it...check it out and test it to see if it really is backed up by scripture.

I never read UTC in high school or college. I don't know many who did. But I am now very much feeling that I missed out on a critically important piece of literature that stirred our nation's heart, mind, and soul--probably one of the most seminal books in our entire nation's history!

Okay, sorry for getting so passionate about UTC!:lol: I was an intellectual history concentration in college and I am feeling a bit cheated and totally dismayed that not one class, not one syllabus ever included it! I really missed out!

Having said all this, as noted above, I wimped out and did a books on tape. I didn't think my kids would get through it! But they were young, and I am thinking of having them really read it the next time we get to the time period! :) Probably next year when ds is in 10th grade.