Menu

SWB's MP article on reading: let's talk about a particular aspect of it

Dear Colleen and others who have participated in this thread,

Thank you for the interesting reading. Like Beth, I have been away from the boards for much of the summer, so finding this thread was a good way to reconnect with homeschooling which I must do in the days ahead.

Summer has been wonderful. One of my main accomplishments was reading Moby Dick upon my son's recommendation. It was on his 11th grade reading list and this Mom had never read it. Wonderful and amazing book--not a quick read by any stretch of the imagination and I am so glad not only to have waded through it but to have read the so called "California" edition which contains gorgeous illustrations.

I have also been pursuing science this summer, having had the opportunity to hear some fascinating lectures on recent research in molecular biology, geochemistry, ecological modeling. Frankly I don't understand everything I hear in these lectures, but I inevitably gleen something new and interesting.

On the domestic front, I am painting shutters--a mundane activity that I find to be rather soothing. Sometimes I paint in silence; sometimes I turn on a radio program like Diane Rehm to hear an interview with an author.

Here is something that I would suggest beyond reading good and interesting books: how about listening to some good and interesting music? A symphony with which you are not familiar or an opera? Turning off the television (if you had it on in the first place) is certainly a step in the right direction.

Cheers,

Jane

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently at a science museum I decided that instead of looking for engaging but probably redundant science books or games for my DD, I would look for some 'update' science books for me.

I am almost finished with "The Canon" by Natalie Angier, which summarizes the state of science thought today, across all of the major scientific disciplines. It's a broad brush view, but I always like to start with an overview of any discipline, and I have not read much about science for a long time, except in very narrowly defined subject areas.

Next up is a cartoon book to introduce modern physics. I have not studied physics since 1978, so I figured that I should see what's new.

And last season I attended two operas, a genre which I have never explored before, and enjoyed them tremendously. Supertitles rule!

I have also gotten straight some nagging, nitpicky grammar bits that I had not quite mastered before.

Feels good!

I imagine this is particularly true for people who aren't Christian, since it's generally assumed that homeschoolers are Christian.

Yes, that's pretty much what I was talking about there.

Some people will never be able to grasp my mix, kwim?

Oh, I definitely KWYM! :001_smile:

Dear Colleen and others who have participated in this thread,

Thank you for the interesting reading. Like Beth, I have been away from the boards for much of the summer, so finding this thread was a good way to reconnect with homeschooling which I must do in the days ahead.

Summer has been wonderful. One of my main accomplishments was reading Moby Dick upon my son's recommendation. It was on his 11th grade reading list and this Mom had never read it. Wonderful and amazing book--not a quick read by any stretch of the imagination and I am so glad not only to have waded through it but to have read the so called "California" edition which contains gorgeous illustrations.

I have also been pursuing science this summer, having had the opportunity to hear some fascinating lectures on recent research in molecular biology, geochemistry, ecological modeling. Frankly I don't understand everything I hear in these lectures, but I inevitably gleen something new and interesting.

On the domestic front, I am painting shutters--a mundane activity that I find to be rather soothing. Sometimes I paint in silence; sometimes I turn on a radio program like Diane Rehm to hear an interview with an author.

Here is something that I would suggest beyond reading good and interesting books: how about listening to some good and interesting music? A symphony with which you are not familiar or an opera? Turning off the television (if you had it on in the first place) is certainly a step in the right direction.

Cheers,

Jane

Hello Jane,

I have been wondering how your summer was going. :)

Those science lectures sound interesting. Last night, we watched a Discovery Channel DVD that I really enjoyed, about the tunneling project under the Swiss Alps. I would never have imagined such a thing, had I not come across this DVD while searching for earth-related books in the library system. But it's this huge, fascinating project going on in Europe. And my dd8 was even *wowed* by it - she kept commenting through the whole thing.

I must say, Diane Rehm has a monthly readers' review, some of which I've really enjoyed in the past. You can listen to all her archives, so one could pick a book and then listen to the old discussion. She reads a wide variety of books. A good way to tap into smart discussion, especially useful if you can't find anyone else to talk to about a book.

I think some great points have been brought up here. If I knew how to multi-quote, I would :)

Someone mentioned how things changed when her dc got older. That is def. the case for me, so I think family dynamics make a difference. For example, my first 4 dc are 15-17 months apart and having a clean and orderly home is important to my husband. In order to survive the lot, I did very little personal reading for many years. I simply did not have the time or energy; however, now that dc are much older, they all help with the house and we spend very little time cleaning, so I can actually read.

Another issue SWB tackles in her article is following the trivium for yourself when you approach a book. She says to

1. read it through, marking anything difficult;

2. go back to the marked sections; reread and rethink

3. form an opinion

If you allow yourself to accept a position of learning, instead of speed, speed, speed and not measure your success by volumes read, but rather acquired knowledge, and a true rhetorical understanding, then you are a success. There is plenty of time after children (and their messes) to demolish volume after volume. I was able to find peace in this early on and it made a difference. I see the difference now and it was so worth doing all dishes and reading very little. I have the best of both worlds now! I suppose, I see this all deeply rooted in seasons of life, as much as being a choice to self-education. I choose to wash dishes and manage our days according to the standards dh and I have agreed upon and I don't feel troubled by that. I believe the efforts spent when dc were younger are bearing fruit now and I can more deeply enjoy my self-education.

As another poster mentioned, I too have found over the years that much of my self education comes from my teaching preparation, particularly b/c I fall into the "undereducated" that SWB mentions in the article. I have read with lower grammar, then hit the topic again for Dialectic. When I reach rhetoric teaching needs, I will surely be reading those materials. In that respect, through home schooling, rather than despite it or b/c it is a time taker, I have continued my education continuously since we began home schooling, regardless of all the time I spent at the kitchen sink. Self-education doesn't have to be so deeply intellectual or profound. At some point, you may want it to be, but until then, I have been pleased to take what I can get! :)

I was thinking on this last night, I have read many, many books on gardening, sewing, spiritual encouragement, marriage, child rearing, etc. Although I had read many of them B.C. (before children), I have read some of them again and more as the family changes. I still find these interesting and educational, lest we forget that classical growth and domestic growth are both growth and can both bring us to a higher place of enlightenment and/or mental satisfaction.

So, the players are:

personality (as seen in this thread)

time management

family dynamics

I think our "revolutionary act" started with home schoolers back in the day, and I hope we continue to do so by educating ourselves well beyond our years of child rearing. How could we not? I can't see myself abandoning my love of teaching, even if I am the teacher and student simultaneously.

Great thread, ladies. Very nice for my vacation reading (along with several books of different genres).

In my universe, people wonder why in the world anyone would forgo an academic career (full time plus of course) to work part time, as a non-faculty, and homeschool so many kids (yes, in my world, 4 kids is a huge number). Actually, I should be more clear. No one else in my world does what I do, but they all seem to be envious of me!

The common thread is that we have to *think for ourselves*. No woman should be forced into a life of servitude to family that she did not actively choose. No mother should be seen as less because she chooses to forego the career stratosphere so that she can spend more time with her kids.

Yet, it is so very difficult to walk that line and maintain independence, particularly when the demands, on one's time, energy, emotional reserves can be great. Haven't many of us sometimes wished for a different life, one with more of something we don't have? I for one am continually re evaluating how I break up my day, trying to squeeze the most mothering\reading\cleaning\journal reading\school prepping out of every minute. It is truly difficult to feel satisfied with this breakdown when in the thick of life-for me at least.

I feel for any girl who has been pressured to live her life according to someone else's expectations, and I confess that as a former farm girl whose parents at the very least did not count on me to pursue education and a career in another state, it's sometimes a very lonely path to figure these things out. I am so grateful to this online community and another I've had along term involvement in-you've all saved my sanity. While I think it's understandable that conservative Christian parents sometimes have a definite plan for their daughters, that does not include a number of options, I secretly root for the daughters. I root for them to rebel and find their own lives, lives that are meaningful on their own terms, not dictated by someone else.

I feel for any girl who has been pressured to live her life according to someone else's expectations, and I confess that as a former farm girl whose parents at the very least did not count on me to pursue education and a career in another state, it's sometimes a very lonely path to figure these things out. I am so grateful to this online community and another I've had along term involvement in-you've all saved my sanity. While I think it's understandable that conservative Christian parents sometimes have a definite plan for their daughters, that does not include a number of options, I secretly root for the daughters. I root for them to rebel and find their own lives, lives that are meaningful on their own terms, not dictated by someone else.

I just wanted you to know that I am a conservative Christian, although probably not the sect you're thinking of, and I expect my girls to go to college, well, at least strongly hope they'll finish beyond the 2 years I will put them through as the end of their high school education.

At the same time, I have taught and will continue to teach them all things domestic and pray fervently that they will be SAHM who home school and breast feed. A mom can hope the things that have brought her the most joy in life will be passed on to her daughter, particularly when she comes from quite the opposite and did not enjoy her childhood.

I used to feel the pressure, from both communities, but now have settled into my own place of joy. It is really that joy I long for, for my children. What they do will, in the end, mean far less than who they are and whether or not they keep the Faith, at least to me.

Oh, no, we are not - *I* do not care about the lawn, but we live in an area with a few retired couples, who have perfectly manicured properties. And apparently the previous owner of ours (retired) did, too. I'm sure he cringes if he ever drives by to look at his former house, the one he built 37 years ago! :lol: Dh just mows down the dandelions and they sprout right back up. We don't even try to fight them. I'm sure we have other weeds all over the grass, but I wouldn't know, because I just don't care. And dd picks them for me and puts them in a vase. :)

I make dh wait for a few weeks (or a month or so...) into spring before he mows the lawn. I love watching all the "weeds" bloom. I'm not sure how much grass we have anymore, but we have white flowers and purple flowers and by the time he cuts the grass our yard erupts with "fairies" (dandelion seeds). The kids love it, it's snowing in summer! Of course, my neighbors can't stand it.

Just a bit of an accomplishment here--due to the influence of this wonderful thread, last night after dinner, I left the kids with my husband, went upstairs, and read canto II if the Faerie Queen. I experienced a strange tingling in my head. I believe it was thought occuring. I liked it, and plan to continue neglecting my family ever once in while.

See what you all make me do?:tongue_smilie:

Ah, the feeling of blood returning to sections of your brain that lay dormant so long. I love that feeling :)

but we have white flowers and purple flowers

We have those, too, and dd loves to pick them and give them to me along with the dandelions.

You should see my house right now (or maybe not). It's a disaster, and I've been enjoying reading more for the past few days. (I just hope the neighbour doesn't "drop in" looking for donations again - the front door is in eye range of the mess.):lol:

Last night, we watched a Discovery Channel DVD that I really enjoyed, about the tunneling project under the Swiss Alps. I would never have imagined such a thing, had I not come across this DVD while searching for earth-related books in the library system. But it's this huge, fascinating project going on in Europe. And my dd8 was even *wowed* by it - she kept commenting through the whole thing.
Can you give me a title for this DVD? We'd love to watch it. Even though last fall work on the base/rail tunnel created a closure of the road tunnel ~ causing us extra time driving up & over the pass itself. Which I might not have minded, if it hadn't been the middle of the night, and if I hadn't been in a hurry to get to Rome.;)

Snipping some of our quotes from elsewhere in this thread...

No one can order things for us without our permission.
Some of us *have* let outside pressures order us. I think her point was that *we* can choose to order things *ourselves.*
Yes, sometimes we let other people/pressures order us. That's what I was saying: we permit it ~ or not.
I can't wrap my mind around why people so esteem "experts" to the extent that they buy into their mantra, lock, stock, and barrel. Or why our society is so consumed by this self-help, all-or-nothing mentality, e.g. "If I heard it a conference/read it in a book, I will embrace it as Truth (until such time as I enter my next phase...)".
Can you wrap your mind around some of my past reasons? Insecurity. Lack of previous education in thinking skills. Growing up situations. Personality. Desire to please. Lack of experience in sorting out multitudes of ideas. To name a few.
Yes, I can wrap my mind around it intellectually, but it's so different from my reality, I can't truly get it in a deeper sense, if ykwim. Kinda like...I understand the words, "I don't like chocolate" and "I don't like wine", but the why, the how...It boggles my mind.:D

In my universe, people wonder why in the world anyone would forgo an academic career (full time plus of course) to work part time, as a non-faculty, and homeschool so many kids (yes, in my world, 4 kids is a huge number). Actually, I should be more clear. No one else in my world does what I do, but they all seem to be envious of me!

The common thread is that we have to *think for ourselves*. No woman should be forced into a life of servitude to family that she did not actively choose. No mother should be seen as less because she chooses to forego the career stratosphere so that she can spend more time with her kids.

Yet, it is so very difficult to walk that line and maintain independence, particularly when the demands, on one's time, energy, emotional reserves can be great. Haven't many of us sometimes wished for a different life, one with more of something we don't have? I for one am continually re evaluating how I break up my day, trying to squeeze the most mothering\reading\cleaning\journal reading\school prepping out of every minute. It is truly difficult to feel satisfied with this breakdown when in the thick of life-for me at least.

I've met hardly any homeschoolers in your realm, so it's refreshing to see your thoughts written down here. Thank you. It's another reason why I like this online community, too - I get to "meet" people like you and be bolstered up.

I'm sorry, this post doesn't really have a clear path....just wondering if anyone else wants to talk about these particular aspects of her article, as it relates to your own life? If you have a hard time shaking that feeling, what do you think you'll do about it? If you have no problem ditching the "little things" for the deeper reading, how do you do that?? How do you rearrange your thoughts? How do you deal with the practicalities of rearranging your priorities, without sacrificing something else you need (like sleep or grocery money)?

I will first admit that I didn't read all 12 pages of responses... :p

but I just wanted to tell you what *I* do in order to fit it all in, rearranging priorities etc.

As a young girl I DEVOURED classic lit like there was no tomorrow. When other girls were reading "Sweet Valley High" or some such drivel, I was reading "War and Peace" and "Crime and Punishment". When I was in trouble, my parents took away my books as punishment. My whole family was like that. It was just our dynamic. My mom had no problem at all with letting the dishes go or leaving the housework while she was finishing a book.

However, as a wife and mother- I simply CAN'T let things go. I can't relax and read unless the housework is done and the laundry is folded. I have 4 small children and it just doesn't work for me.

So for the last several years, my reading suffered immensely. I have felt like an unchallenged, brain melting mess.

Don't get me wrong- I LOVE being wife and mother. I LOVE baking with the kids, making yummy dinners for my husband and creating a loving, homey environment for my family. But I desperately need a mental challenge.

Finally I decided that I HAD to find a way to challenge my brain and my soul again.

I made myself a reading list that will probably last until I die. I've joked that I'll be finishing the last book on my deathbed. It's a very challenging list, no "chic lit" because I just can't get into the stuff, but I'm sure I'll take breaks here and there to read books that I just WANT to read, and reread some of my favorites.

I have committed to reading for at LEAST 30 minutes (usually an hour) every afternoon during the kids' rest time. Instead of folding laundry, instead of doing dishes. And so far I've followed through- and so far it's been wonderful. I decide how quickly I want to finish whichever book I'm reading, and decided how many chapters I need to complete each day in order to do so. But I had to make the commitment to myself and get myself organized in order to follow through.

Anyway, I apologize if this doesn't make sense... my 4 littles are making a lot of noise... but I hope this helps a little! :)

As a young girl I DEVOURED classic lit like there was no tomorrow. When other girls were reading "Sweet Valley High" or some such drivel, I was reading "War and Peace" and "Crime and Punishment". When I was in trouble, my parents took away my books as punishment. My whole family was like that. It was just our dynamic. My mom had no problem at all with letting the dishes go or leaving the housework while she was finishing a book.

However, as a wife and mother- I simply CAN'T let things go. I can't relax and read unless the housework is done and the laundry is folded. I have 4 small children and it just doesn't work for me.

So for the last several years, my reading suffered immensely. I have felt like an unchallenged, brain melting mess.

Don't get me wrong- I LOVE being wife and mother. I LOVE baking with the kids, making yummy dinners for my husband and creating a loving, homey environment for my family. But I desperately need a mental challenge.

Finally I decided that I HAD to find a way to challenge my brain and my soul again.

I made myself a reading list that will probably last until I die. I've joked that I'll be finishing the last book on my deathbed. It's a very challenging list, no "chic lit" because I just can't get into the stuff, but I'm sure I'll take breaks here and there to read books that I just WANT to read, and reread some of my favorites.

I have committed to reading for at LEAST 30 minutes (usually an hour) every afternoon during the kids' rest time. Instead of folding laundry, instead of doing dishes. And so far I've followed through- and so far it's been wonderful. I decide how quickly I want to finish whichever book I'm reading, and decided how many chapters I need to complete each day in order to do so. But I had to make the commitment to myself and get myself organized in order to follow through.

Anyway, I apologize if this doesn't make sense... my 4 littles are making a lot of noise... but I hope this helps a little! :)

It makes sense! Thanks for sharing your story, too!