Menu

How do you organize your curriculum?

CAMom

So, I started my 11th year of homeschooling today. I have an 11th grader, an 8th grader and a pre-k'er.

I'm searching through some of my stored curriculum today to find a couple of things for use with the 8th grader and the pre-k'er. My stored curriculum is a disaster!:tongue_smilie:

How do you store the things you need to keep for your up and comings? Do you store by subject? By grade level? I do not have room to keep it all in the house so I store in boxes in the garage. We live in So. CA where the whether is always dry so I'm not worried about it getting damaged when it's in well kept rubbermaid tubs.:)

Any innovative ideas?:bigear:

I store by grade level. We have a "retired" entertainment center that has bookcases built into it. It has a total of 8 shelves; 4 on each side. I labeled them each with a grade. This setup is for readers. I double-stack them to make them all fit. All the readers are also labeled with a color coded label to indicate grade level. For textbooks I put them together by subject. All the English texts are in a row organized by grade level. Ditto for science and math, etc. So far the textbooks take up 2 normal sized bookshelves in a bookcase. I keep them separate from the readers because I figure my kids may not all be on the same level in every subject at the same time.

So I kinda store by subject AND by grade. Textbook subjects like English and Math are kept together by subject and readers are together by grade level.

By subject--a box of math, box of grammar, box of life science, box of geography, box of US history, etc.

If I'm teaching Revolutionary War, I know exactly where to look to find materials--one box, US Hist. I do not have to wonder if there was some neat Rev. War stuff in the 5th grade box when I'm only supposed to be on the 3rd grade box. Or maybe there was a book over in the 7th grade box with info that might be useful for me and pictures that the kids would want to look through.....

Grade is just too arbitrary. I don't want to have to go searching through all the boxes organized by whatever "Grade" the publisher labeled things, looking for that really neat science experiment I saw way back when, or for that geography overlay that was labeled "6th grade," but that would be so perfect with what we're studying now, etc.

yvonne

Since I am newer to homeschooling we don't have as much curriculum. I store what we are using all in one area sorted by subject. What we are not using daily I put on shelves sorted by subject.

I have started pulling some stuff for my 4 year old tha is shelved from my 6 year old and I know exactly where it is since it is sorted by subject.

By subject--a box of math, box of grammar, box of life science, box of geography, box of US history, etc.

:iagree:When I sorted through all my stuff and put everthing in a box I went through the trouble of listing everything inside of each box so I don't have to open and search when looking for one particular item. It also helps me when it is time to return an item.

Any innovative ideas?:bigear:

Things I am using now: Desk Apprentice

Things I might use now and then or in the near future: a small bookshelf next to desk apprentice.

Things I could use in the next year: bookshelves in sight but out of the way

Things I might use in more than a year from now: boxed by subject and well-labeled in my closet.

Things I used last year and will keep for 5th grade: on a bookshelf in the living room in reach of kiddo, in case he want to pull it down.

I have all mine on shelves, but they are grouped by subject - Bible, History, Science, Grammar, etc.

Same here. I don't know exactly where any of my kids will be academically in the future, but i *do* know what subjects they will be studying, so storing by subject seemed most logical for me.

By subject except for current year things and reference books, which are out in separate bookshelves.

My books from the 1800's also have their own shelves up high away from little people.

(Well, actually, it's mostly in boxes right now and I should be unpacking, not typing...)