Menu

how do you keep a soft covered book in good condition while

Gamom3

I buy book covering stuff on a roll from Brodart - a library supply company. It looks like contact paper, but is more sturdy. You can also buy pre-made slip-on covers that you can reuse on another book.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/shop/toc/toc.aspx?nodeid=515e31fc2b61436493e6560d6eaf81e9&toc=sub_bcrepair

It's a little more expensive than contact paper, but also more durable - we have several kids so it's worth it to me.

I cover the covers (that sounds funny) of books we use frequently with clear contact paper. It really helps them hold up longer.

:iagree: Yep. I used 3 rolls of contact paper this year on books. I actually really enjoy covering books with it. I'm sure it is some disorder :D

I buy book covering stuff on a roll from Brodart - a library supply company. It looks like contact paper, but is more sturdy. You can also buy pre-made slip-on covers that you can reuse on another book.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/shop/toc/toc.aspx?nodeid=515e31fc2b61436493e6560d6eaf81e9&toc=sub_bcrepair

It's a little more expensive than contact paper, but also more durable - we have several kids so it's worth it to me.

Oooooo, this looks awesome! Which product do you use? Have you ever used the kind with a separate spine? Any tips or recommendations?

Jackie

• 1 month later...

Voice of experience with contact paper--there is a kind out that says right on the label that it is repositionable; and yes, you really can slowly peel it off the book and smooth out the air bubbles, wrinkles, etc. This is worth every penny--especially if you are all thumbs (like me) and trying to cover math books with the (unasked) assistance of four small children. Get the repositionable stuff if you can find it; I found it at a local drug store in school supplies section.

I used to use paper covers (butcher's paper or old brown paper bags) when I used books provided by the district (when I was in school). When they were my books, I often did the same. The paper afforded me the luxury of personalizing the cover, and made it easier to remove at the end of the borrow time.

The problem became when paper binding books would divest themselves of their binding. Case in point, my Wheelock's Latin (3rd ed.). By the time my first semester was done, it was a case of "take the parts you need with you" as it was in several pieces! I was able to have the library at the university repair it, and show me how to do them too. It 'survived' 2 years of university (though it still has the assistance of a large elastic band).

Now that I'm teaching a friend's daughter using Wheelock's Latin 6th ed., also in trade paperback, we're both looking at options as this is a 3-4 year course of study for her (ultimately leading to 1.5 semesters of credit at our local university should she decide to test for it).

I also have a couple of hardbound Bibles that are duct-taped to keep all portions of the scripture together, but as they have so many notes in them, I'm loathe to part with them or to upgrade to a new one. Those have survived much abuse, and no amount of covering them would have made survival in a knapsack more likely! (Yes, one of them DID live in a Bible case, and it only kept the cover pristine, though little could keep the binding intact!)

FWIW, my paperback books that are used for leisure reading often look brand new even when I'm done reading them. The rare exceptions would be novels on my 'mental floss' list that get read at least once per year, and even those don't usually have the spine broken, the Sholan Alliance series by Lisanne Norman being the notable exception.

p.

You can also cut the binding off and either three-hole punch them or have t hem coil bound.

:iagree:

I have been having the bindings cut off and then coil-bound with clear covers on the front and back and it keeps them looking great. It also makes them so much easier to use. They will lay open so nicely. I even had my Shurley TM split into two smaller books and just love using it now. It was so HUGE and cumbersome.

Blessings,

Kim

:iagree:

I have been having the bindings cut off and then coil-bound with clear covers on the front and back and it keeps them looking great. It also makes them so much easier to use. They will lay open so nicely. I even had my Shurley TM split into two smaller books and just love using it now. It was so HUGE and cumbersome.

Blessings,

Kim

me three.... Kinko's, Office Depot, or Office Max all do this. I did it with Mystery of History and several others and I love them now! Also if a book is reproducible for home/class room use, I have 2 copies made at the same time, one for each kid.