Menu

About those 2008 Federal Tax Rebates...

They aren't coming out now, are they? I was speaking with a mom - whom I would not consider someone to tell tall tales - last evening. She stated that she and her husband received theirs yesterday and they had not filed a 2007 tax return yet. I thought they weren't coming out until summer!

Amy (who is really hoping that the rebates are being mailed now!)

The last I read they were not being issued until May. I know that the irs sent letters out to people saying they would be receiving a check.

Here is a blurb from the IRS.gov website about the rebate checks:

Starting in May, the Treasury will begin sending economic stimulus payments to more than 130 million households. To receive a payment, taxpayers must have a valid Social Security number, $3,000 of income and file a 2007 federal tax return. IRS will take care of the rest. Eligible people will receive up to $600 ($1,200 for married couples), and parents will receive an additional $300 for each eligible child younger than 17. Millions of retirees, disabled veterans and low-wage workers who usually are exempt from filing a tax return must do so this year in order to receive a stimulus payment.

Maybe she is mistaken?

A friend who works at a bank sent me this information:

THESE ARE THE DATES WE WILL BE RECEIVING OUR TAX RELIEF CHECKS. IT IS SCHEDULED BY THE LAST 2 NUMBERS OF YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. IF YOU FILED A JOINT RETURN IT WILL BE UNDER THE HUSBANDS SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

Last 2 digits of your SSN Receive your check by week of

00 - 09 July 23

10 - 19 July 30

20 - 29 August 6

30 - 39 August 13

40 - 49 August 20

50 - 59 August 27

60 - 69 Sept. 3

70 - 79 Sept. 10

80 - 89 Sept. 17

90 - 99 Sept. 24

For married taxpayers who filed a joint return, the first Social Security Number on the return determines the mailing date.Source: Internal Revenue Service

Your friend was wrong ;) The rebates will only be mailed to those who have already filed a 2007 return.

Since she's usually reliable, could she have been a victim of the new crop of rebate scams?

I also believe that the list of dates is an old list from the last time they did rebate checks. Can anyone verify this? The IRS website still says "Checks will arrive starting in May, payment schedule will be announced soon."

I also believe that the list of dates is an old list from the last time they did rebate checks. Can anyone verify this? The IRS website still says "Checks will arrive starting in May, payment schedule will be announced soon."

There is no specific dates on the irs website, only that they will be issuing payments in May. It also says that if you filed electronically you will receive your payment electronically via direct deposit, and if you mail in they will you mail a check.

• 2 weeks later...

An Internal Revenue Bulletin was issued today, and it includes a schedule for the rebate payments:

Direct Deposit Payments

If the last two digits of your Social Security number are:

Your economic stimulus payment deposit should be sent to your bank account by:

00 – 20

May 2

21 – 75

May 9

76 – 99

May 16

Paper Check

Your check should be in the mail by:

00 – 09

May 16

10 – 18

May 23

19 – 25

May 30

26 – 38

June 6

39 – 51

June 13

52 – 63

June 20

64 – 75

June 27

76 – 87

July 4

88 – 99

July 11

The cut and paste isn't pretty, but I thought some of you might be interested in seeing the schedule.

I'll have to ask her again next week when I see her.

Thanks for the information - it gives me another incentive to get our tax stuff together this weekend.

Amy

She might have thought she had because yesterday we received the notice the IRS sent out about the rebates, but not the rebates themselves. Just thought that might be helpful. :)

hmmmm...our local news station posted a schedule that is VERY different from that one:

For Direct Deposit

00 - 20 (Check Will Be Deposited By May 2)

21 - 75 (Check Will Be Deposited By May 9)

76 - 99 (Check Will Be Deposited By May 16)

For Standard Paper Check

00 - 09 (Check Will Be Mailed By May 16)

10 - 18 (Check Will Be Mailed By May 23)

19 - 25 (Check Will Be Mailed By May 30)

26 - 38 (Check Will Be Mailed By June 6)

39 - 51 (Check Will Be Mailed By June 13)

52 - 63 (Check Will Be Mailed By June 20)

64 - 75 (Check Will Be Mailed By June 27)

76 - 87 (Check Will Be Mailed By July 4)

88 - 99 (Check Will Be Mailed By July 11)

it will start in May. It states in the letter that "To receive a payment in 2008, individuals who qualify will not have to do anything more than file a 2007 tax return."

Also "For individuals who normally do not have to file a tax return, the new law provides for payments to individuals who have a total of $3,000 or more in earned income, Social Security benefits, and/or certain verterans' payments. Those individuals should file a tax return for 2007 to receive a payment in 2008."

We were married the year I graduated from college and started working and dh was in his last year and only had part-time employment. Since most of the income that year was mine, we filed with my info including SS# first. We never changed it so we wouldn't have any problems from the IRS. So for the last thirteen years, I have had no income but still have my name first. Turns out better for us in this case too since I have a lower last two digits.