Menu

Just make copies???

mlgbug

is that what everone does so they can resell the material??? dont you go through SO MUCH INK>>>

It's a violation of copyright law to make copies of a workbook (or any other printed matter) unless it is expressly permitted by the publisher (e.g. Evan More materials). In most cases, I imagine it would cost more to print a complete copy of a workbook than to just buy a new one.

If someone wants to resell their original workbook (or just reuse it with multiple children), they can have the student write answers on a separate sheet of paper, or use clear page protectors and write with dry erase markers. Cheaper than photocopying the whole thing -- plus it's legal, which photocopying isn't.

Jackie

I used to make copies. I rarely bother nowadays. I just bite the bullet. My time is worth money- not to mention ink costs too.

Yes!! And this too...

It's a violation of copyright law to make copies of a workbook (or any other printed matter) unless it is expressly permitted by the publisher (e.g. Evan More materials). In most cases, I imagine it would cost more to print a complete copy of a workbook than to just buy a new one.

I have never sold anything we've bought. I make copies so my younger children can make use of the same material one day. I don't copy everything though. I don't copy the cheaper workbooks or the ones in full color. And for some workbooks we write the answers out on paper. There are also some things I have copied because I am concerned they will go out of print before my youngest child gets to that level.

Early on I tried the copy thing only so my next son could use the book, but it was not worth the hassle (time, ink, keeping up with the papers, etc) and my ds(s) are so different that I do not always use the same curriculum just because of their learning styles. So, I use the book and then just buy another one if I think it will work for ds #2.

I make copies of some workbooks so that my younger one's can use them (but only if the copyright permits). But for the majority, I don't bother. I also rarely sell anything that I buy. I never know if it will work for another child!

But I wouldn't copy with the intent of reselling. Seems wrong. I have purchased used "new" workbooks, where the person selling left sticky notes inside with page numbers to copy, though.

Liz in NC

I have 4 children that will be using our workbooks and it costs me so much time and money to print everything out. I never knew about using clear plastic page protectors and dry erase markers, what a great idea !

Can you tell me where I can find these clear plastic page protectors ?

Are the available at any specific stores or do I have to special order them ?

Thanks for any help you can give me !

But I wouldn't copy with the intent of reselling. Seems wrong. I have purchased used "new" workbooks, where the person selling left sticky notes inside with page numbers to copy, though.

Liz in NC

It doesn't just "seem" wrong. It is wrong. It's illegal. Some curriculum allow for reproducing for use within your own family but copying a consumable workbook so you can resell is illegal.

I have sold unused workbooks but that's because we didn't actually use them.

Heather

Edited by Heather in VA

... copying (or using page protectors in) a consumable workbook so you can resell is illegal.

There is nothing illegal about using page protectors, or writing the answers on a separate sheet. Photocopying without permission is what's illegal. You can use a workbook (or any other printed matter) however you like, including reselling it, as long as you don't illegally photocopy it.

Copyright law protects the publisher's right to restrict others from making unauthorized copies. The First Sale Doctrine gives the buyer the right to do whatever they want with the material (except making copies) after they purchase it, including reselling it. The publisher's right to determine what happens to the book ends when they sell it (hence the "First Sale Doctrine").

Jackie

If I paid for it, then I want to be able to use it and enjoy it...not worry about saving it for resale or next child. The time and $$for ink for copying is not worth it. Most often, the workbook portion of a curriculum is the cheapest part, so easy to replace for myself or the next user if I sell it.

There is nothing illegal about using page protectors, or writing the answers on a separate sheet. Photocopying without permission is what's illegal. You can use a workbook (or any other printed matter) however you like, including reselling it, as long as you don't illegally photocopy it.

Copyright law protects the publisher's right to restrict others from making unauthorized copies. The First Sale Doctrine gives the buyer the right to do whatever they want with the material (except making copies) after they purchase it, including reselling it. The publisher's right to determine what happens to the book ends when they sell it (hence the "First Sale Doctrine").

Jackie

You're right. I made a type-o. That's supposed to say NOT using page protectors. Personally I find it unethical to do it but that's my personal feeling about it and ethical issues and legal ones are not the same thing. I edited my post above.

Heather