Menu

Opinions please on the items we might purchase for next year.

Trivium Academy

I just want to double-check my thinking with these items, if you have something BETTER to suggest or you've had problems with these items- please let me know. All of them are from Rainbow Resource.

50 Travel Games and Activities Cards

Item #: 040252

**for in the car, any experiences?

All Link Cubes, 10 colors, set of 100 (MultiL

Item #: 017269

Attribute Logic Blocks in self-storing case

Item #: 007935

***Not sure we "need" these not b/c we have pattern blocks but will be using Building Critical Thinking Skills Bk1 next year. I would love input on these.

Bucket Balance

Item #: 018729

**We have the Three Family Bears, this scale is $11.25

Going West!

Item #: 016194

***U.S. History activity book, not sure about this.

Where in the World? Game

Item #: 024173

Subject: History/Geography

Grades: 3-Adult

**Any experiences with this? Dd7 loves playing Geography games and right now we're only undirected, informal map games. She loves games btw.

And then I also have a bunch of historical documents that RR has for $1.50 each, for a visual aid and I'm thinking of laminating them.

Bill of Rights 1789 Historical Document

Constitution of the U.S. Historical Document

Declaration of Independence 1776 Hist Doc

Emancipation Proclamation 1863 Historical Doc

Mayflower Compact 1620 Historical Document

then also the Civil War Battle map and Revolution Battle Map

Anyways, these are 'extras' that we have and I just wanted to make sure that there isn't anything better to consider.

Thank you!

we have some of those items.....

the bucket balance is great. kids love it. use it alot.

the cubes are okay. Ours are hard to put together. some are easy to click together, others are near impossible even for me. I hope that the more we play with them, the easier they will become to put together.

as for the car.....one thing my kids like are the Travel Tangoes that RR sells, The Rubicks twist toy and auto bingo :-)

We have the attribute blocks and I like them because I am a geek! No two blocks are exactly alike. The attributes are shape, size, thickness, and color. We used them a lot when going through the Building Thinking Skills Hands On Primary. I just glanced through Building Thinking Skills Level 1 (grades 2-3) and didn't see anything where you would need to have them. So if budget is tight, they're not required. My girls like to spread them out on the floor and put the counting bears and/or cuisenaire rods on top of them--not quite sure what skill that is building! I like the game of removing one block from the set and they have to figure out which one is missing.

We have a bucket balance and it come in handy for math sometimes. Fun with the bears if the bears are weighted. Our bears have either a 3, 6, 9, or 12 on their tummies and I think that is how many grams they are. Two 3 bears in one bucket will balance a 6 in the other.

We have unifix cubes and I too find them hard to click together. But we do use them from time to time.

I think the historical documents sound cool. I'll have to take a look at those!

the cubes are okay. Ours are hard to put together. some are easy to click together, others are near impossible even for me. I hope that the more we play with them, the easier they will become to put together.

If they are the same cubes we have, they are a lot smaller than i envisioned. i do like the fact that ours are 1cm sq and weigh...1 gram? each. That is great for a myriad of concepts. You might wanna check and see if the ones you are ordering are like that. But 1cm "in my head" and 1 cm "in the hand" are a lot different, lol.

Some are kinda tough to link together, but i think for the most part they are pretty cool. We actually do more things that don't require linking than do.

We have a couple sets of the Multilink cubes (the set that All Link is listed as being like). One thing that I like is that the Multilink brand also has two different triagular prisms available. We've used the Multilinks a lot. They are good counters and can also be used like a Cuisenaire rod set. I have two or more sets and some are harder to put together than others. You might want to see if the All Links have the prisms.

Also, my Multilinks are marked as being made in UK, if that matters.

Sebastian

Percival Blakeney Academy

All Link Cubes, 10 colors, set of 100 (MultiL

Item #: 017269

Attribute Logic Blocks in self-storing case

Item #: 007935

***Not sure we "need" these not b/c we have pattern blocks but will be using Building Critical Thinking Skills Bk1 next year. I would love input on these.

Bucket Balance

We have (or have had) all of these.

Multi-link cubes: We've the same ones for about 4 or 5 years, and we still use them -- mostly for math nowadays, though I initially bought them to go with the Building Thinking Skills books.

Attribute blocks: I think we have this exact set, too. Though it's not used as frequently, I still really like it. It's a set with more than 2 kinds of attributes (size, color, and thickness).

Bucket scale: We had that very scale, but the sliding compensator broke after a few years of use. We had an active toddler in the house at the time, so that most likely shortened its life! Anyway, we used it a lot with the bears and with other weighing activities; I eventually replaced it with a similar model from a local store. But if you're going to get a scale, I definitely recommend the bucket style (w/sliding compensator) over the pan balance.

HTH!

one thing my kids like are the Travel Tangoes that RR sells, The Rubicks twist toy and auto bingo :-)

Mine love rubiks too, they just got one for Christmas, although they don't want to read the instructions. The also have the Melissa & Doug Magnetic Pattern Board and love it. I'm trying to keep a backpack in the car of items they can play with to keep occupied and also for ds3 when we go places that he might not want to behave (be quiet, listen, etc.) for longer periods of time.

Do you have Super or Mighty Mind? We use the pattern blocks from those for all sorts of things.

No, I don't but I do have Primary Pattern Block Task Cards on my list too and we have the Melissa & Doug Magnetic Pattern Board. We also have a bucket of pattern blocks already that aren't magnetic. If the kids really take off with this, I'll look into Mighty Mind, THANKS!

For the car, I just want easy to play with products - no work on my end. Some of the travel games in the card set I mentioned will not involve me. My dd7 thinks that once she gets in the car she has to continuously talk and it drives me nuts, plus our rhyming game, I Spy and What Am I? get sort of old. Thank you for your offer though! :)

Bucket Balance

We love, love, LOVE our bucket balance. DD uses it all the time. Examples of use - I stick her in the tub in her underwear with a dishpan full of water, her balance and some measuring cups and spoons (we have a kids cooking set that she uses when we cook) and she goes crazy measuring water. We weigh toys or fruit or anything that will fit using pennies to measure the weight. She loves to do that. Yesterday she took some fruit out of dh's lunch bag because she wanted to see "how many pennies it weighed." :p

I'm trying to keep a backpack in the car of items they can play with to keep occupied and also for ds3 when we go places that he might not want to behave (be quiet, listen, etc.) for longer periods of time.

I keep a "busy bag" for my dd that she can use in those types of situations (also for church). Each item is in its own ziploc bag (the kind with the zipper seal, not the press together seal - clear as mud? :D ) - we keep mighty mind or pattern block set (I switch these occasionally for variety), magnetic paper dolls, coloring book and crayons, small bag of farm animals, magnetic board and letters or chalkboard and chalk (also switch these occasionally), and a variety of preschool activity bags that aren't too messy. Not everything is in there at once, but I keep a box of stuff in the bench by our door and can swap things out quickly.

HTH!

One thing that I like is that the Multilink brand also has two different triagular prisms available.

I found this and I think it's a plus that it has an activity book and the triangular pieces- plus the container but is it worth $33.95?

http://rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?subject=10&id=037511

That's a BIG difference from what I was looking at before

And then there's these: weighted and linkable for $9.95

http://rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?subject=10&id=015051

We have the Three Bear Family bears that are weighted, btw. I don't know what to get! Lol.

And then there's these: weighted and linkable for $9.95

http://rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?sid=1201033699-442361&subject=10&id=015051

These don't appear to be linkable --if you want the chance to stick them together, make sure it says link somewhere in the description :-) I know there's some SOMEwhere that are linkable & weighted, lol.

No time to read the other replies; pardon me if I'm repeating what's already been said. Do you own Mighty Mind? That's been a hit here with little people. As for geography, my guys enjoy the "10 Days in..." games. We own the Europe, Africa, and USA editions and even with all those, my second grader would like us to add the Asia version to the mix. Good for a variety of ages and fairly quick from start to finish.

I have the linking blocks that you mentioned from Rainbow Resources. I had the original linking blocks but my girls couldn't link them. These are much easier to link together. It mentioned in tha catalog description that they were easy to use, so I bought 'em!

I am just starting my lists for next year. Have Fun!!!

Jessica, we got the Where in the World Game at Christmas, and it's been a big hit!

There are several levels to this game, and we are still on the first one and aren't using all the cards yet. This level is similar to Uno. The continents are like the colors (in Uno) and there are 6 wild cards to change continent being played. (The other play option is to match the number on the card, which corresponds to the size ranking of the country within the continent.) When you lay a card down, you say the country name and the continent/region. At the end, there is a "winner's round," where the winner has to name the continents for 3 of the next 5 country cards drawn from the stack (quizzed by another player).

The next level incorporates another aspect of the country from those listed on the card -- capital, religion, language, literacy rate, etc. After a while at this level, you can work up to using the map game boards. It's definitely a game that grows with you.

HTH!

We love the bucket balance and use it a lot with the bears. That's a lot of fun. We like the AllLink cubes too, and ours have been pretty easy to use. We used them quite a bit in our math last year.

I don't know about the Attribute Blocks, either, but I would really like some. :D

The Where In the World game sounds like a lot of fun, but I haven't seen it.

Yes, and about those attribute blocks, you can cut out colored paper shapes that do the same thing, right? I remember using these shapes when we did Saxon Math: four colors, four shapes, and three sizes. The "what's missing" game is lots of fun!

attribute blocks have a difference in thickness too. I thought i remembered flipping through some sort of teacher's book on attribute blocks and there were notations about thickness..... i was too lazy to try to recreate them at home ;)

I was just looking through a catalog from etacuisenaire.com --those guys have some fanTA$tic products!! Talk about some Seriously Serious math manipulatives, lol! i leave a huge layer of drool on every page of their math catalog.....

When we did Building Thinking Skills, we never used the attribute blocks. I think that it might be helpful if the child isn't able to visualize the pattern, but my children never needed them. We bought them and used them maybe once, until it became wasted time. Now they are just another thing that I have to store somewhere.

--Dawn

Hi Jessica,

We have used these unit cubes instead of the linking cubes. The advantages would be that there are more of them (you can get a box of 500 or 1000). They each weigh exactly a gram. This really helps when trying to relate to metric weights in science or storybooks. I love unit cubes. They help explain nearly every aspect of math we have come across. These cubes link well together.

http://www.learningresources.com/p2p/searchResults.do?method=view&search=basic&keyword=unit+cubes&sortby=best&asc=true&page=1

I was just looking through a catalog from etacuisenaire.com --those guys have some fanTA$tic products!! Talk about some Seriously Serious math manipulatives, lol! i leave a huge layer of drool on every page of their math catalog.....

We currently have the ETA Math, Reading and Science catalogs laying around the house, ds3 thinks it's all toys- but dd7 and I have been looking at them. I love catalogs like these where they have great stuff that you can go and find cheaper somewhere else. Oh so tempting....

And they are foam, thus quiet :)

I like foam stuff, but my toddlers always eat them!!

Years ago i bought a couple packages of "manipulite"/foam pattern block pieces only to lose several of them to teeth marks. Foam doesn't stand up to teeth marks as well as plastic or wood, lol.

I've been considering switching out the foam ones for wood or solid plastic after watching some kids *build* 3-D structures w/ them --I never thought of that! I'm such a 2-D thinker, lol. i do love pattern blocks tho. And Tetris:D