Menu

Anyone ever "live" on a boat or an RV as a primary residence?

DH is retiring from the military in 4 1/2 years, and we want to "get away" - at least for a while. We have always thrown around the idea of the RV but the boat idea has cropped up from time to time also. We are totally comfortable with purging all of our possessions (except for storing all of my books at my parents :D) and living in a small area. We have 4 kids who even though they have bedrooms, end up cramming into whatever space DH and I are in - meaning that I really don't think they would have any problems being together with us in a small space for a long amount of time. We have lived all over the country and enjoy moving from place to place. Also, if we do it right, I believe that we could live on DH's retirement until we feel like we want to settle down some where.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with something like this, or know someone who has done this sort of thing. Any advice? I am curious about how it works with taxes - we would not have an income except retirement pay, but we would also not have a home of residence...not sure how that works... Anyway, I would love to hear any ideas!

That sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

You'd probably want to maintain a permanent address, perhaps one or the other of your parents, where you could have mail sent, claim for tax purposes as your residence, and have as your state of residence for voting and homeschooling rules, maintain your driver's licenses, vehicle registrations, etc.

I'd love to do something like that. For us, it would probably involve starting a business, we'd probably work SCA events and spend half our time living in the current middle ages, the other half sightseeing, etc.

A boat would be cool, too. I'd think space issues would be similar for both, except when you park/camp and RV, you have more room to spread out beyond your walls in your camp site.

Me, my dh and oldest dd lived in a camper for a year and a half (before we had our other 3 kiddo's). My dd was in 1st and 2nd grade at the time. It really wasn't that bad. We had all our stuff in storage. Cleaning was very easy because there isn't much to clean. We lived on my dh's parents land. They own a retreat center that had a washer and dryer. That is how I did laundry. I'm not sure what you mean by way of taxes. Do you mean being mobile and not having a permanent residence? I think you have to declare a residence in a particular state of your choice. I think TN is a good state to do this. If you google full time RV'ing you will come up with lots of info.

http://www.familiesontheroad.com is pretty good site.

I can tell you that the RV was tons easier and more comfortable. My children, too, cram into whatever small space we are living in pretty comfortably. If you have children like that, that part isn't a problem. Some campgrounds and marinas have laundry facilities. We've found marinas to be much more expensive than campgrounds. Campgrounds have more child-oriented activities (although we haven't found that a problem on the boat - ours go exploring in the dinghey). Grocery shopping is a major hassle from the boat and much easier from a campground. Fresh water is more plentiful in an RV so washing people is easier, although this is less of a problem in a marina. Cooking is easier in an RV than a boat. Fuel is much easier to obtain in an RV than a boat. Everything mildews on a boat and drying anything is problematical, especially if it hasn't been rinsed with your precious fresh water. We usually summer on our boat, but last year we summered in an RV instead. I was amazed at how much easier everything was. We use an old fashioned icebox both places but you can buy ice at any gas station. You would have a refridgerator, probably, which means that your RV would probably have a propane/electric one (propane unless your RV is plugged in at a campground) and your boat would have a generator that you ran each day and a large bank of batteries. Trash is more of a problem in a boat than in an RV. So is sewerage. Both my husband and I grew up camping and boating, so neither one was a big deal for us. We like water, so we enjoy boating, but RVing was really fun, too. I am currently procrastinating making food lists to leave for this summer. : )

-Nan

I 2nd the families of the road site, they have a message board, and a yahoo group. We haven't done it yet, but it is our hope to do some RV living before dh graduates from high school.

rv.net is another place to get a lot of information. Their forums are very active.

There are several companies you can establish a home address without having a physical residence. The name escapes me at the moment, but Texas and South Dakota are popular places to establish your home address.

We lived in a RV for a year and a half after we sold our house. It was a blast. In fact we started homeschooling while on the road. We had a new large trailer with double slides and two bedrooms so privacy wasn't an issue. I recommend the trailer as opposed to a 5th wheel for 2 reasons. 5th wheels have height issues in some camps, they are harder to get into some places and second, you have the full use of your truck bed for storage etc. with a trailer. We pulled with a F350 crew cab long bed.

We spent 4 months in the Canadian bush while my husband was building a log home up there. People laughed when we pulled up and set up camp because out would come our Internet Dish on a tripod. We even used a VoIP telephone because there wasn't a cell phone tower for 50 miles. They didn't laugh for long when I set up WiFi and let them use our phone. There was always someone hanging out with their laptop at our camp. :001_rolleyes:

We've been home based for a year know and I sometimes regret selling our RV. It was way too much fun. We kept our state residency by forwarding our mail to my mother and she would in turn forward it to us at our next stop. WA does not have a state income tax so that was not a problem. We filed our federal taxes as usual. We kept our banking in WA as well, although if we were somewhere for a while we would open something local for temporary ease. Good luck on your journey, you are sure to fill the family memory books. :001_smile:

Wasn't there a show on recently, 6 for the Road, or something like that, about a family hitting the road and homeschooling? I think they lived in an RV and would stop and sell fireworks as their main income. Interesting. I remember seeing the mom trying desperately to clean her kids by washing them in a ditch.:001_huh: I guess they were out of water.

It sounds like so much fun, but we'd have to have income so we couldn't do it. I don't think my dh could think outside the box (house on foundation) enough!

Thank you all for your advice and ideas!

Texas is our "home of record" for the military, so no state tax and we have our parents who can take care of the mail and residence status. Also, Texas has good homeschooling laws, so that will be nice.

Yes, the debate has been going on for about 8 years between RV (with pull behind car), 5th wheel (with garage), and trailer... I never thought about the height restrictions with the 5th wheel :glare:. That is something to think about, although I really like the set up of the 5th wheels.

We travel so much, and everyone really gets irritable in the truck on long trips (there are six of us). Sometimes DH sets up a bed in the truckbed (we have a cap) for the kids to crash in, but it is still cramped and it is so attractive to think about having the kitchen, toilet, and beds available while you are in transit.

We lived in a RV for a year and a half after we sold our house. It was a blast. In fact we started homeschooling while on the road. We had a new large trailer with double slides and two bedrooms so privacy wasn't an issue. I recommend the trailer as opposed to a 5th wheel for 2 reasons. 5th wheels have height issues in some camps, they are harder to get into some places and second, you have the full use of your truck bed for storage etc. with a trailer. We pulled with a F350 crew cab long bed.

We spent 4 months in the Canadian bush while my husband was building a log home up there. People laughed when we pulled up and set up camp because out would come our Internet Dish on a tripod. We even used a VoIP telephone because there wasn't a cell phone tower for 50 miles. They didn't laugh for long when I set up WiFi and let them use our phone. There was always someone hanging out with their laptop at our camp. :001_rolleyes:

We've been home based for a year know and I sometimes regret selling our RV. It was way too much fun. We kept our state residency by forwarding our mail to my mother and she would in turn forward it to us at our next stop. WA does not have a state income tax so that was not a problem. We filed our federal taxes as usual. We kept our banking in WA as well, although if we were somewhere for a while we would open something local for temporary ease. Good luck on your journey, you are sure to fill the family memory books. :001_smile:

So why did you decide to sell your RV and be home based (do you own a house now?)? Do you still have your log home in Canada?

Every time this topic comes up, I read longingly. Dh and I have talked a LOT for years about doing this.....and I see elegantlion replying EVERY TIME to these threads!:D I'm just not sure about the whole income-producing-on-the-road issue...

Good points about the trailer vs. 5th wheel. What are your thoughts about motorhomes? Esp. the longer ones (class A?)?

The first 7 years of my marriage were spent living on a sailboat in Florida. We did not own a home anywhere else and were employed. We just filed simple tax forms (1040?). There were no "property" taxes to be filed. Owning a boat is like owning a car.

Prior to the children being born, it was a fun way to live. After the children though I felt as though I lived in a fish bowl. All the neighbors began giving opinions and advice (jamming them down more throat would be more accurate), most of which was 30 years or more out of date.

In all honesty though, I had considered doing it again when all the kids are grown. But now I am more interested in gardening and being self sufficient, so I think I would be a "snow bird" and spend winters on the boat in Florida and remain in our house for the summers.

We've never done it full time, we have a very small RV. However, hitting the road with the kids is just so much fun.

As a child, I was on a sailboat with my parents. Again, never full time, but weeks at a time. I got bored eventually. There's only so much you can do on a boat. And the scenery never changed all that much. Especially on the ocean...

Planning a stop is much easier with an RV. There's much more variety in scenery. You can stop in places of interest that are not necessarily next to the water.

Does it show I'm itching to hit the road again?

Every time this topic comes up, I read longingly. Dh and I have talked a LOT for years about doing this.....and I see elegantlion replying EVERY TIME to these threads!:D I'm just not sure about the whole income-producing-on-the-road issue...

Good points about the trailer vs. 5th wheel. What are your thoughts about motorhomes? Esp. the longer ones (class A?)?

YUP, some dreams never die. :D In fact if we hadn't of bought this house (%*#@) we'd still be parked at a camp in Destin, FL right now. I'd stay right here, my new favorite state park. We just got back from vacation there and I'm ready to sell it all and go hang out there for a while.

I did finally think of the mail forwarding service. http://www.escapees.com/ They have a location in Texas too.

YUP, some dreams never die. :D In fact if we hadn't of bought this house (%*#@) we'd still be parked at a camp in Destin, FL right now. I'd stay right here, my new favorite state park. We just got back from vacation there and I'm ready to sell it all and go hang out there for a while.

I did finally think of the mail forwarding service. http://www.escapees.com/ They have a location in Texas too.

Thank you Paula... we have fond memories of Destin too!

We've known lots of folks who've cruised (boats). Remember the suggestion of 10' of boat per person--at least on a sailboat. Also remember you'll have big kids in 4yrs--14yo is adult size. That said, some love it, others are ready to hit terra firma & never leave! You can save $ by living "on the hook," but you'll always have the difficulties of no car, plus hauling your water & everything else by dingy. If you want to see the islands, it's a great way to go (so I've heard), but pirates are a reality.

So why did you decide to sell your RV and be home based (do you own a house now?)? Do you still have your log home in Canada?

My husband was log home builder (hence Canada and traveling) until he had a pretty bad accident that involved neck surgery. We ended up having to be stationary for a while for him to recuperate. We did not re buy a home because we aren't completely sure of where we will settle. We rent on the edge of a 800 acre farm and dh is slowly building the log shell for our forever home.

We are very simple folks we spent 12 years prior to our adventure off the grid (although I had one of the very 1st Direct Way Internet receivers) in the middle of the Cascade Mountains. We were quite self-sufficient. We tend to view money a bit differently than most folks. We've never live beyond our means, i.g. we have no debt. I've never made a car payment or paid a mortgage. So aside from saving everything for a rainy day, we live very simple and that doesn't cost that much.

There are a lots of jobs that you can do just with internet access. I was the business manager for an Emmy Award winning singer and I worked mostly from home. Web-design or graphic arts is another or even seasonal manual labor. Our philosophy is always to always utilize our available resources esp. our heads.

That being said. One way to RV low cost is to dry camp without hook-ups. RV parks can get costly. Many rest stops have rv dumps now. We also used a small honda generator for power.

We had an 07 Jayco BHDS which was 31 feet long w/a separate bunk house. We pulled it with a 2002 F350 (extra leaf spring) diesel crew cab long bed. We needed bed space for all my husbands tools and a portable septic tank. We also carried a small 12 volt water pump to fill our tanks with mountain stream water. We are serious off roaders; once the trailer was unhitched we headed for the hills exploring. With the big rigs, class A's, again you run into limitations on where you can park and it's an extra engine to worry about. I would want a tow behind vehicle because getting in and out of a grocery store is a nightmare. But if you needed more storage you wouldn't be able to tow a utility trailer if you did that. We only have the one child so our crew cab was plenty comfy with dogs in tow too. Those class A's are pretty darn nice though!

I would recommend this experience to anyone, esp with children. We homeschooled the entire time. If not for a life time, take a year and just do it. It was liberating not being tied down. We've been talking about doing it again before our shell is done. Just to be sure before we buy that slice of paradise. :tongue_smilie:

I've enjoyed this thread. Living on the road and/or water is something we plan to do in our retirement... but have ended up not doing with the boys here (mainly due to financial reasons).

We have taken several trips of 3 weeks to 2 months to travel - but mainly tent camped for those. It was well worth it and I'd leave to do one again in a heartbeat if we can afford it. Actually, we're hoping the economy stays stable enough that we can take Feb off - then maybe again in July of next year. Only time will tell.

I have no experience with the primary residence aspect, but I did grow up spending 1/4-1/3 of the year living in our "summer home". We had 3 kids and 2 adults in a 20' trailer. Actually, we started out in a pop-up and moved up to the kitchen and bath luxuries. :)

Best times of my life. I'd jump at the chance to spend a year or a couple on a boat or in an RV, but I can only be on the move for so long. I like having a home base. And an extra bathroom. ;)

We are very simple folks we spent 12 years prior to our adventure off the grid (although I had one of the very 1st Direct Way Internet receivers) in the middle of the Cascade Mountains. We were quite self-sufficient. We tend to view money a bit differently than most folks. We've never live beyond our means, i.g. we have no debt. I've never made a car payment or paid a mortgage. So aside from saving everything for a rainy day, we live very simple and that doesn't cost that much.

There are a lots of jobs that you can do just with internet access. I was the business manager for an Emmy Award winning singer and I worked mostly from home. Web-design or graphic arts is another or even seasonal manual labor. Our philosophy is always to always utilize our available resources esp. our heads.

That being said. One way to RV low cost is to dry camp without hook-ups. RV parks can get costly. Many rest stops have rv dumps now. We also used a small honda generator for power.

We had an 07 Jayco BHDS which was 31 feet long w/a separate bunk house. We pulled it with a 2002 F350 (extra leaf spring) diesel crew cab long bed. We needed bed space for all my husbands tools and a portable septic tank. We also carried a small 12 volt water pump to fill our tanks with mountain stream water. We are serious off roaders; once the trailer was unhitched we headed for the hills exploring. With the big rigs, class A's, again you run into limitations on where you can park and it's an extra engine to worry about. I would want a tow behind vehicle because getting in and out of a grocery store is a nightmare. But if you needed more storage you wouldn't be able to tow a utility trailer if you did that. We only have the one child so our crew cab was plenty comfy with dogs in tow too. Those class A's are pretty darn nice though!

I would recommend this experience to anyone, esp with children. We homeschooled the entire time. If not for a life time, take a year and just do it. It was liberating not being tied down. We've been talking about doing it again before our shell is done. Just to be sure before we buy that slice of paradise. :tongue_smilie:

You are living my dream!!!!!!!!!!! We work very hard at staying out of debt (but we do have a mortgage, and I hate that) - and even that statement sounds ridiculous to me "working hard to stay out of debt" as if it's inevitable that we will go into debt! Thank you for detailing all of that.....I'm probably going to spend the rest of the day thinking and scheming about how to get out of here....LOL!

You guys are inspiring! We are now talking about moving up our date on this. If DH gets stationed back in Alabama for the last 3 years, we are going to get rid of everything (except the tools have been added to the books in storage) and RV on post. The base at Fort Rucker has a nice lake with RV sites - and then we can take off on the weekends and holidays. Hopefully without the house payments, we will be able to pay the RV off by the time he retires... ahhhh what a nice dream!!! Retired...no debt...go anywhere we want... well, at least for a while :001_smile: But then, we can live in the RV while we build a house somewhere....ah the possibilities!!!

No suggestions, but the idea of living on a boat sounds like heaven. I'm grew up in Bermuda and one of my favorite things to do was going out in our family friend's boat and letting the waves lull me to sleep. I hope it works out for you!!:001_smile:

If your kids are used to living in a house, you need to teach them....no asking 'when will we get there' there is no 'there' to get to! We just stopped when we wanted.

We had a great time and all of us want to go back to that way of life, and maybe we will.

Washing can be hard particularly if you don't stay on camping grounds, in NZ it is not necessary. We used to roll in to a ground every so often to wash clothes and clean the kids. Streams and the sea, and bucket washes and solar showers are great...but a real shower is a treat. On a boat there will be water issues.

Books are an issue. Libraries are hard to use if you keep moving on. We used cheap book exchanges as libraries. Each kid could have 12 'keepers' and another 12 from book exchanges. This was HARD.

School was much simpler in those day...the kids were much younger of course...but I could not indulge my curriculum junkie habits. We used what we had!

We have no regrets about that time, except my youngest. he barely remembers it, and is jealous of his older siblings. I'd love to give him another chance on the road.