Menu

Could this be a rabid squirrel?

There's a lot of squirrels that come to our back patio--we have been putting cracked corn out for a few days now, and love to watch the birds, chipmunks and squirrels.

Today, one of the squirrels seems quite interested in our sliding glass door--he has "peeked" into the window several times, attempted to climb the screen door (the window/door is not open and the screen is on the outside), and is walking everywhere and not jumping/leaping as much as the squirrels usually do.

There isn't any corn left--could he be "angry?" Could he be sick? Am I in any "danger?" I feel silly asking, but I'm a little unnerved!:001_unsure:

according to my vet it is unlikely to come across a live rabid squirrel. They are so small that an attack from a rabid animal such as a fox would kill the squirrel pretty quickly.

Those little fuzzy tail rodents can become very daring and aggressive once they figure out that people=food. On the college campus I went to the little beasts would actually jump into your lap, and take food from your hands. Whether you wanted them to or not.

There's a lot of squirrels that come to our back patio--we have been putting cracked corn out for a few days now, and love to watch the birds, chipmunks and squirrels.

Today, one of the squirrels seems quite interested in our sliding glass door--he has "peeked" into the window several times, attempted to climb the screen door (the window/door is not open and the screen is on the outside), and is walking everywhere and not jumping/leaping as much as the squirrels usually do.

There isn't any corn left--could he be "angry?" Could he be sick? Am I in any "danger?" I feel silly asking, but I'm a little unnerved!:001_unsure:

I would get the kids inside and lock all the doors. Use metal locks because a determined squirrel will chew right through wooden ones! Do you own a shotgun? Is there any way to electrify the screen door? Most importantly, do the other squirrels seem to be following his lead? Squirrels, though small, are highly susceptible to mob mentality. If the lead squirrel mounts an attack, the others may rally to his cause and then there's no stopping them.

Don't be angry. Just teasing. Couldn't help myself. I apologize in advance. My wife says I'm her tenth child, and I guess this proves it.

A few weeks after we moved into our first house DH and I were surprised by a squirrel--it had climed half way up our sliding screen door and was staring at us while we ate dinner!

The next day I mentioned it to a neighbor--she just laughed and told us that we had just met 'Rocky'--the previous owners had tamed him!

Rocky hung around a few years more--he was quite the beggar! In the fall we would gather acorns and after any snow we would toss them out in the back yard for him (and any other critter). He also LOVED taking peanuts from your hand...

its quite a stretch, but maybe its one someone raised and let go. with my husband being in the nuisance animal control business, i have had the opportunity to raise a few baby squirrels. as they got old enough i'd let them go outside, and there was just a week or two that one in particular (Skippy) would come back inside to check out what was happening. once he started using me as a tree, running up and down my back, i had to put a stop to that! maybe your little guy is reminiscing about his previous indoor life! ;)

according to my vet it is unlikely to come across a live rabid squirrel. They are so small that an attack from a rabid animal such as a fox would kill the squirrel pretty quickly.

Those little fuzzy tail rodents can become very daring and aggressive once they figure out that people=food. On the college campus I went to the little beasts would actually jump into your lap, and take food from your hands. Whether you wanted them to or not.

:lol: Yes, they can be quite attached to you and the food supply. I have a squirrel feeder in the yard - the minute it is empty, the squirrels rip the lid off and dive inside. One squirrel climbed the post on our porch and literally used his little "hands" to unhook a so-called squirrel-proof birdfeeder, then dropped it onto the cement where it shattered. The little stinker then proceeded to descend from the post and have a feast.

They can be destructive but I still like to watch them.

I would get the kids inside and lock all the doors. Use metal locks because a determined squirrel will chew right through wooden ones! Do you own a shotgun? Is there any way to electrify the screen door? Most importantly, do the other squirrels seem to be following his lead? Squirrels, though small, are highly susceptible to mob mentality. If the lead squirrel mounts an attack, the others may rally to his cause and then there's no stopping them.

Don't be angry. Just teasing. Couldn't help myself. I apologize in advance. My wife says I'm her tenth child, and I guess this proves it.

:lol::lol::lol: I have observed squirrel behavior that could support your thesis!

A few weeks after we moved into our first house DH and I were surprised by a squirrel--it had climed half way up our sliding screen door and was staring at us while we ate dinner!

The next day I mentioned it to a neighbor--she just laughed and told us that we had just met 'Rocky'--the previous owners had tamed him!

Rocky hung around a few years more--he was quite the beggar! In the fall we would gather acorns and after any snow we would toss them out in the back yard for him (and any other critter). He also LOVED taking peanuts from your hand...

Awww! I am such a sucker for these little pesky rodents...and now that we know that they do not carry rabies (thanks to the board veterinarian), I feel even better about my preoccupation with those fuzzballs.