Menu

80 pounds of jasmine rice

My extremely wonderful, helpful dh knows I prefer jasmine rice and always have it on the grocery list. We almost exclusively buy groceries at Costco (and when I say we, I mean he).

Since he has never actually purchased the rice, because they don't have a normal sized package; and since he did not want to make a special trip to the grocery store, which he felt he should do since the rice had been on the list so long. . .

He bought the 80 lb bag. And I am grateful to have the rice.

Now, do you have any idea how many tupperwares it would take to store it? Or how difficult it is to lift it?

I need rice ideas for large batches. Other than rice pudding. I have been making ten cups a week in my rice cooker and then thinking of something to do with it.

Now I need to find a product that I can purchase in a 5 gallon food safe bucket with a recloseable lid. Any suggestions?

Oh wow! You will be eating Asian for some time won't ya? hehe What a sweet hubby. Bless his heart! They do try don't they? ;)

I have a big rubbermaid tub with a tight fitting lid that I use to store my rice. It can hold 25 pounds of rice. I've had it for years so I can't remember exactly where I got it though.

I just googled Rubber maid tubs and Target has this one.http://www.target.com/Rubbermaid-24-Gal-Action-Packer-Storage/dp/B00002N6SQ/sr=1-1/qid=1247207929/ref=sr_1_1/175-9466673-2014754?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&rh=k%3Arubbermaid_tubs&page=1 It isn't exactly the same as mine but I reckon it would do the trick if you got a couple of these. They are easy to lift by the handles and I've never had any trouble with critters or anything like that getting into the rice in all these years. I hope this is helpful.

As for cooking, I use Jasmine rice for all kinds of cuisines not just Asian. I make Cuban black bean soup and put that over Jasmine rice sometimes and it is good. You can make yellow rice, any type of rice and beans, rice and gandules, flan with rice, plus your regular rice base for stir fry or curry dishes too. :)

Oh wow! You will be eating Asian for some time won't ya? hehe What a sweet hubby. Bless his heart! They do try don't they? ;)

I have a big rubbermaid tub with a tight fitting lid that I use to store my rice. It can hold 25 pounds of rice. I've had it for years so I can't remember exactly where I got it though.

I just googled Rubber maid tubs and Target has this one.http://www.target.com/Rubbermaid-24-Gal-Action-Packer-Storage/dp/B00002N6SQ/sr=1-1/qid=1247207929/ref=sr_1_1/175-9466673-2014754?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&rh=k%3Arubbermaid_tubs&page=1 It isn't exactly the same as mine but I reckon it would do the trick if you got a couple of these. They are easy to lift by the handles and I've never had any trouble with critters or anything like that getting into the rice in all these years. I hope this is helpful.

As for cooking, I use Jasmine rice for all kinds of cuisines not just Asian. I make Cuban black bean soup and put that over Jasmine rice sometimes and it is good. You can make yellow rice, any type of rice and beans, rice and gandules, flan with rice, plus your regular rice base for stir fry or curry dishes too. :)

Wow - I had no idea. I am going to google this - but out of curiosity - do you have a fav rice flan recipe you want to share?

Wow that is a LOT of rice! Do you have any family or friends that may want to buy some of the rice and take it off you hands if you cannot store it properly?

How about a restuarant supply company?

http://www.foodstorageworld.com/index-squarecontainers.html

May have something for you - I didn't look too deep into the site, but it came up when I googled restaurant food storage rice

Wow - I had no idea. I am going to google this - but out of curiosity - do you have a fav rice flan recipe you want to share?

Wow that is a LOT of rice! Do you have any family or friends that may want to buy some of the rice and take it off you hands if you cannot store it properly?

How about a restuarant supply company?

http://www.foodstorageworld.com/index-squarecontainers.html

May have something for you - I didn't look too deep into the site, but it came up when I googled restaurant food storage rice

Well, the recipe I have calls for short grain rice, but I'm sure she could make it with the jasmine rice as well and just play with the cooking time at the rice cooking stage...

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar

1/3 cup plus 5 cups of water

1/3 cup rice

11/2 cups milk

1 cup half and half

1 Tbsp vanilla

3 eggs

3 egg yolks

1/3 cup of honey

Cook the sugar and the 1/3 cup of water together in a medium saucepan and let simmer over med-high heat to make the caramel sauce.

Pour the caramel into a 2 quart round glass baking dish that is 8-9 inches wide at the top. Gently turn the glass to coat the bottom with the caramel and coat it halfway up the sides. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 350. While the oven is preheating bring the 5 cups of water to a boil and keep it at a simmer. In a medium saucepan on med-high heat, bring the rice, milk and half and half to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes stirring frequently.

Mix together the vanilla, eggs, egg yolks and honey in a medium bowl. Slowly pour a small amount of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture stirring constantly. Pour the egg mixture into the milk in the saucepan and mix well. Cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes until the custard becomes slightly thickened. Stir to prevent sticking.

Pour the custard into the caramelized dish and then place that dish into a bigger dish for the bain marie. Put them both into the oven and then pour the simmering water into the larger dish until it comes up the sides of the custard dish, but only as high as the custard goes up the sides of the custard dish.

Bake for 40 minutes until the edges are just set and the center is still slightly liquid. Remove the custard from the oven and let it cool before serving. You can serve it warm or you can refrigerate it before serving if you like it cold (like me :) ) Place a plate over the mouth of the custard dish and flip it over to unmold it. If you have refrigerated it then you will need to sit the custard dish in a pan of hot water for a minute or so to soften the caramel before unmolding it. Cut into wedges and enjoy. :)

My extremely wonderful, helpful dh knows I prefer jasmine rice and always have it on the grocery list. We almost exclusively buy groceries at Costco (and when I say we, I mean he).

Since he has never actually purchased the rice, because they don't have a normal sized package; and since he did not want to make a special trip to the grocery store, which he felt he should do since the rice had been on the list so long. . .

He bought the 80 lb bag. And I am grateful to have the rice.

Now, do you have any idea how many tupperwares it would take to store it? Or how difficult it is to lift it?

I need rice ideas for large batches. Other than rice pudding. I have been making ten cups a week in my rice cooker and then thinking of something to do with it.

Now I need to find a product that I can purchase in a 5 gallon food safe bucket with a recloseable lid. Any suggestions?

I would try some restaurants that might just throw away a bucket.

Around here (with donut shops on every corner) you can get a used 5 gallon jelly bucket. Do you have any donut shops close by? :)

I would try some restaurants that might just throw away a bucket.

Around here (with donut shops on every corner) you can get a used 5 gallon jelly bucket. Do you have any donut shops close by? :)

Sam's Club will give away their empty 5 gallon tubs from frosting as well. That's where I've gotten mine. Maybe Costco does the same, if they have a bakery?

You can buy a bucket from any of the places that sell wheat as well. I know Breadbeckers sells the buckets empty. I think Pleasant Hill does also. I would buy a gamma lid just cause they are so much easier to open than the lid on a 6 gallon bucket. (just add .com to the end of the names.)

Thats a lot of rice! I gained 5 lbs just reading this thread!!!!!!

Don't forget to freeze that rice before you store it away! We buy big bags from Sams. I freeze them and then bag it in gallon Ziplocs and put it in a 5 gallon bucket that I bought from Walmart and Lowes in the paint section. Buckets with a number 2 in the triangle with HDPE printed on the bottom are suppose to be food grade.

Be sure that whatever container you use it is rated for FOOD storage. No offense to Ibbygirl, but the container that she linked is not for FOOD storage and may leech chemicals into your rice.

You also want a container that seals shut securely with no air leakage. While uncooked white rice won't get stale or go bad (at least not for our lifetime, lol) it is the bugs that move in that you want to watch out for. Non-food storage containers like the one linked above have air holes that will let the bugs easily get to your rice....so that's another reason to avoid it besides the leeching.

Sam's club sells food storage containers, I'll guess that Costco might as well. But like others have mentioned, they will also give away their bakery buckets for free....be sure to wash it really really well to get all the grease from the frosting out, and let it dry completely. Even a little water will ruin your rice.

We eat rice probably 4 or 5 times a week....it's a wonderful meal extender and there are many delicious ways to prepare it. Plain white rice isn't the only thing to do with it!

I buy basmati rice in bulk from Costco for the same reason. It just tastes so much better than plain white rice and at that price, why not?

I make either pad thai or some sort of Indian curry about once a week. Do you know how to make arroz con leche? It's a tasty, inexpensive dessert that my kids love. I sometimes just use the leftover rice, but it works just fine on its own and is a great compliment to any Mexican or Tex-Mex meal.

We buy 5 gallon buckets from the bakery--their frosting comes in them. They usually cost from $1 to $3. Just make sure the lids fit well.

I make rice milk with Jasmine rice in my soymilk machine. I cook with it and use it for my own milk substitute since I cannot eat dairy products.

I buy 50 lb. bags of rice all the time. I probably have more than 300 lbs. of whole wheat berries, 50 lbs. of rolled oats, large quantities of popcorn (for grinding), salt...lots of things purchased in bulk. They store for months and years if they are in air-tight storage. I'd say you can just store the rice and use it over time--keep a smaller container in your kitchen and fill it up from your 5 gal bucket as needed.

Jean

Thanks for all the tips. I will try the flan recipe - it looks delicious! The frosting bucket sound like the way to go. All I could think of is our old neighbors have a deli and they always had pickle buckets they gave away. Wasn't going there- for the same reason I don't use relish jars to freeze my strawberry jam.

I didn't realize the rice would last so long, that's good news. But since my kids love rice with soy sauce, and frugal for us is $600/month for groceries, I'm sure it won't last here. I just want to get the giant yellow bag out of my locker room.

As long as everyone is so helpful. Anyone have a recipe to share for porcupine meatballs (rice must be cooked first) TIA

I actually like storing my rice in Mason jars. It's a chore to pour it into the jars, but makes it very easy to just pull out a jar and dump into the rice cooker. Plus - the jars are easier to store (for my kitchen) than a 5gal. bucket.

As long as everyone is so helpful. Anyone have a recipe to share for porcupine meatballs (rice must be cooked first) TIA

Here's my recipe (great way to use up leftover rice):

1 lb of either ground turkey, ground beef or a combination of both (I've also used ground sausage for a little kick)

2 cups of cooked rice (white or brown)

1 egg

spices (I tend to be a "whatever I grab" type of spicer, but it's probably 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons, and generally has garlic and some type of blend, Italian or Herbes de Provencale being my stand bys....maybe some pepper)

Spaghetti sauce (homemade, again, great use for leftovers, or even a large jar of store bought)

Mix everything but the spaghetti sauce and form into meatballs (makes about 2 dozen good size ones). Put sauce in pan, add the meatballs until boiling, reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes or so until meatballs are thoroughly cooked.

I've also done this in a slow cooker, on low for about 1/2 a day.

Be sure that whatever container you use it is rated for FOOD storage. No offense to Ibbygirl, but the container that she linked is not for FOOD storage and may leech chemicals into your rice.

You also want a container that seals shut securely with no air leakage. While uncooked white rice won't get stale or go bad (at least not for our lifetime, lol) it is the bugs that move in that you want to watch out for. Non-food storage containers like the one linked above have air holes that will let the bugs easily get to your rice....so that's another reason to avoid it besides the leeching.

Sam's club sells food storage containers, I'll guess that Costco might as well. But like others have mentioned, they will also give away their bakery buckets for free....be sure to wash it really really well to get all the grease from the frosting out, and let it dry completely. Even a little water will ruin your rice.

We eat rice probably 4 or 5 times a week....it's a wonderful meal extender and there are many delicious ways to prepare it. Plain white rice isn't the only thing to do with it!

None taken, that's actually a very good point and I'm glad you brought it up. The one I have was in the aisle with other food storage containers. I couldn't find the same one so I just linked a similar (looking) one. Absolutely safety first though. It should be food grade plastic. :)

I get 25lb bags every other month. I store it in those large tins popcorn is sold in at holidays. I think you can find it in dollar stores year-round. Just dump the popcorn (or feed to kids) and clean out tin, stick in a large trashbag as a liner (I just like to do this) and it holds 25 lbs. I make sure the lib is down firmly. I fill a smaller Tupperware container form the big bin as needed. You could also use large Rubbermaid containers, too. You just want to store the rice dry and safe from critters. It should keep a long time.

Jasmine rice takes less water than plain old long-grain rice, I have found. 2 cups rice and 3.5 cups water, bring to boil, lower heat and cover, let cook 20 minutes. 90% of the time it comes out perfect.

If you're going to buy rice in bulk all of the time, you could invest in the bins they sell at Pet Smart. I use them for my wheat berries, but it would work for rice. The are tall, and they have wheels on them (which you don't have to use). They have an air tight seal. I bought mine 7 years ago, and I think it cost me $25. For me, it has been worth it.

I get 25lb bags every other month. I store it in those large tins popcorn is sold in at holidays. I think you can find it in dollar stores year-round. Just dump the popcorn (or feed to kids) and clean out tin, stick in a large trashbag as a liner (I just like to do this) and it holds 25 lbs. I make sure the lib is down firmly. I fill a smaller Tupperware container form the big bin as needed. You could also use large Rubbermaid containers, too. You just want to store the rice dry and safe from critters. It should keep a long time.

Jasmine rice takes less water than plain old long-grain rice, I have found. 2 cups rice and 3.5 cups water, bring to boil, lower heat and cover, let cook 20 minutes. 90% of the time it comes out perfect.

Just an FYI....that trash bag is leeching chemicals into your food, just like the non-food containers do.