Menu

Soph the Vet: Is my Guinea Pig pregnant?

We adopted her a week ago. She's 1.5, and was adopted with Snickers who is a 3 year old female.

This morning I woke up and noticed she wasn't acting well at all. She wasn't wanting to walk, either. We noticed from the beginning she was fatter than Snickers, but chalked it up to her being a different pig.

She's really wide, she's eating and drinking and pooping. She's cranky, but otherwise normal.

Help?!

ETA: Some of her poops are about half the size of normal, but she's had normal poops as well.

Edited by JudoMom

I'm not a vet but it sure is possible. I bought a GP from a pet store as a birthday present to myself when I was 19. Well about 2 weeks later I noticed she looked much fatter and then when I came home from a wedding I was attending there were 3 new GPs in the tank. They were cute little buggers too, they are born with hair unlike most rodents. They actually look like someone zapped an adult guinea pig with a shrink ray LOL. Luckily I found people to take them but man that was a shocker to come home to.

Please keep an eye on her! When we got our guinea pigs, we soon found out the female was pregnant. She got huge! She was so wide she couldn't get in her igloo. When she finally gave birth, it was stillborn. The baby was so big, I had to pull it out. It was almost as big as her! I was expecting 2 or 3 little babies and here was this huge dead guinea pig that didn't look like a baby at all. It was very disturbing!

Sure looks like it. We started with four and the vet assurred me one of them was a girl when I swore I saw something that looked more like a boy to me. LOL. Anyway, turns out he was a male and then we had 10!! When the babies are born they will be completely hairy and will be eating adult food within about one hour. They don't go through the phase like hamsters at all, where they have no hair and eyes shut. Nope, guinea pigs come out ready to go!!

We are now down to three but they resemble the rabbit population, IYKWIM. Hope all works out OK and I would be checking for potential homes if possible.

Sure looks like it. We started with four and the vet assurred me one of them was a girl when I swore I saw something that looked more like a boy to me. LOL. Anyway, turns out he was a male and then we had 10!! When the babies are born they will be completely hairy and will be eating adult food within about one hour. They don't go through the phase like hamsters at all, where they have no hair and eyes shut. Nope, guinea pigs come out ready to go!!

We are now down to three but they resemble the rabbit population, IYKWIM. Hope all works out OK and I would be checking for potential homes if possible.

Once yours started to look pregnant, how long until she delivered?

I would have to be REALLY good to tell you if your GP is pregnant just from a picture!:lol:

An x-ray (if far enough along for calcification of the fetus) or an ultrasound will tell you for sure.

Of course, time will tell you for sure too!

I'm a real help aren't I?;)

:lol: It was worth a shot!

Is there anything else that can cause a pig to be wide in the hip area?

i'm not a vet, but i've had a pregnant guinea pig before...they pretty much look like a sack of potatos, and then there are babies in the pen. sack-like appearance became very pronounced, and as time went on we could definitely feel the babies in there! i can't tell "how fat" your piggie is from the photos, but that is the general shape mine took when she was pregnant.

I haven't had guinea pigs, but have had pregnant rats (not on purpose!).

One rat momma ate her babies. It was awful- I ended up flushing the rest down the toilet to prevent them being eaten, I figured it was more humane.:tongue_smilie: (Thats a gagging smiley, by the way)So, be sure she has a quiet, dark place to go to, other guinea pigs and any household pets are kept away, etc. Just in case. Our second "whoops, turns out that rat was pregnant" experience ended much happier, with hoem foudn for all the babies, and no mother-munching!

Both of my female guinea pigs have really squishy jelly bellys when they aren't pregnant. They feel a little like a water balloon! We only had the one pregnant female. After she had her dead baby, we separated her from the male. We have 6 guinea pigs! No need for anymore babies! LOL

Here is an excellent website/message board for learning everything about guinea pigs.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/