Menu

I think I will send DS to pre-K in PS

We have been secluded for so long by living so far from town on 850 acres that he has made ONE friend in his whole life (outside of his much older siblings). He only gets to see this friend once every couple of months. So, now that we are moving to an excellent school district, I think I will put him in school for pre-k. That way he gets play time and time away from everyone (which he seems to thrive on, the few times I have taken him to a babysitter he sobs when he has to leave her house), and I get one on one time with DD to work intensely on her education. It would give us time to settle in and meet people and then we could re-evaluate at the end of the year to bring him home for K or keep him in.

Anyone else send some to PS while keeping some home?

My dd2 will be attending Mother's Day Out at our church 2 or 3 mornings a week this fall while I hs my ds. So far it has been a great solution. She plays and makes friends while I get some uninterrupted time schooling my ds.

It would depend on how good the public school preK was--sometimes I've found them not to be as developmentally appropriate as private preK's. Ymmv.

I am totally not opposed to sending little ones to preschool, tho, but I wouldn't do 5 days a week unless it was Montessori, and even then, I'd only do half day; that option may not be available, so I'd check.

Well, our PS system doesn't have pre-K, but with some luck, we'll be sending DD3 (almost 4) to "summer camp" at our local private preschool and will transition into pre-K there in the fall. DD6 went there for two years and loved it. It's a very gentle and fun place to be, and I can't wait to have some time alone with DD6! If your little one wants to go and you want to send him, then go for it!

All three of my dc have gone to preschool. Currently my 4yo goes 2 half mornings a week. We stay home starting in K, but continue seeing the friends we made while in preK. It's a great way to meet other families and also gives them fun things to do while I'm home doing school with the older ones. It's always been a win-win for us.

I have nothing against pre-school if it's developmentally appropriate; my oldest dd really enjoyed her two years at a small local pre-school.

When she began hs'ing in kinder, I sent her lil sis to the same good pre-school, but it didn't work out nearly as well as I'd hoped.

She liked the 'idea' of school and friends, but was torn in reality because she knew sis would be home with mom.

The time advantages weren't what I had hoped for - - the time spent bringing her and then picking her up just a few short hours later drove me nuts (although perhaps your dd will be on a bus?). And there are always school-related tasks that take up time and wreak havoc with your schedule: field trips. class parties, programs, snack day, etc!

It's exactly the same when one or both of them is in camp. It feels like you should have all this extra time, but . . . I find it easier to just have everybody home.