Menu

Religious Question-Please Don't Be Offended

My kids currently attend Catholic school. My son wants me to homeschool him, so we are in the process of evaluating that request. I am a Catholic, albeit non-practicing. I go to church when I have to. It's a requirement of the school if you are a parisioner there to attend weekly, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I make my donation, but I'm just not comfortable with everything being taught in the church and school. I sent my kids there because it's a better education than the public schools.

Now, if my son IS going to be homeschooled, he won't receive any religious education. His little sister is still enrolled there because she loves it, so far. My question is, are there any religious education resources I can use at home that aren't Bible-based? I realize the irony of the question, but I want materials that talk about God, not necessarily the Bible or church. Any help is appreciated.

Christine

I forgot to add that I am having a real religious questioning in my life right now. Please don't be offended by this but I'm not sure that I believe everything in the Bible. I do believe in God, I'm just not sure about the Bible. Which is sort of a problem when looking for "religious" materials.

See what I mean? My son is 7. He started coming home telling me I'm going to hell for this or that, because that's what they told him at school. If my values were aligned with the school's there wouldn't be a problem, but they're not. I don't believe in hell, I don't believe in a spiteful God, etc. I'm not trying to start a religious debate or argument or anything, but I'm really at a loss here. I was hoping someone else has been in my situation and could help.

I will be using Sonlight for science, but I need to look at the materials to evaluate how much of a religious bent they have. I was thinking of materials for covering Spirituality, in place of the religion classes he has now.

If you stick with the Usborne stuff, there is no religious content or mention of diety. From my experience, SL's stuff does a lot of bible.

Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in hell, etc. We believe it is not taught in the Bible. You might check out a book by them called Listening to the Great Teacher. Just read ahead to see if there is anything objectionable to you. They also have a Bible Story Book (My Book of Bible Stories) and a book for teens called Young People Ask. Most of these books have a chapter concerning hope of living in a future paradise earth, I can't think of anything else that you would object to off of the top of my head.

I am told that My Father's World does not insert doctrine into their materials. You could look into that. Winterpromise has some Bible programs that don't contain doctrine as well. One is with the Animal Worlds program. You can buy it separately. HTH!

Now, if my son IS going to be homeschooled, he won't receive any religious education. His little sister is still enrolled there because she loves it, so far. My question is, are there any religious education resources I can use at home that aren't Bible-based? I realize the irony of the question, but I want materials that talk about God, not necessarily the Bible or church. Any help is appreciated.

Christine

It depends on what your goals are for religious ed. If you want him to be eligible for sacraments, then you can enroll him in the parish CCE program and you won't have to teach anything. I'm an ex-Catholic atheist and this is my solution to the issue. Dh and grandparents really want the kids to make their first communion and I don't mind, but I really don't want to have to teach Catholic doctrine, kwim?

If you want a general exposure to world religions with no particular emphasis on Christianity, take a look at the Usborne Encyclopedia of World Religions:

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Encyclopedia-World-Religions-Internet-Linked/dp/0794510590/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246754940&sr=8-1

It will serve as a nice spine and you can get picture books or videos from the library to round out your studies. If he's old enough you can read some of the sacred texts of the religious traditions you're studying.

OTOH, you might want to study the Bible as literature rather than as a sacred text. You could just read through a children's bible or an adult version depending on his age and ask some comprehension questions. Knowing the major stories will make reading other literature much easier (as will Greek mythology). I do this with my kids by reading a story from a Bible story book and a story from D'Aulaire's Greek Myths a couple of times a week. I like doing it this way because it doesn't place any special significance on the Bible stories, they're given equal value as the Greek myths.

Good luck finding something that you like.

I am a Christian, but a very conservative one that has very different beliefs than most "religious" publishers of homeschool curriculum. I tend to use secular curriculums over Christian ones so I can add God in where I want and how I want rather than having to take out and change what is being taught.

When my son was 7 we did the science from Christian Liberty Press. I liked it because it was open and go textbook kind of curriculum. While it did go by Genesis creation, and give Bible verses, it did not teach doctrine. (I am pretty particular about doctrine so this was important to me). Real Science For Kids is one that doesn't have any religion in it. We like that one as well. Noeo Science is good too, but I can't remember how much religion is in it (none I think).

I like Blessed Heritage for history. However, my favorite history and social studies was an old public school text.

For math I have used and liked MUS - no religion at all. Rod and Staff is a very religious company, but it was very easy to teach their math without ever mentioning God. Their math products are fantastic. Currently my son is using BJU for math and while there are Bible characters in the lessons (like how many jars of water did Martha carry from the well?) and Bible links in the TM, We have not used or encountered "Bible" that couldn't be easily left out.

For other subjects or parts of subjects, Remedia and Steck Vaughan are great companies that have very good curriculum. I used them as a public school teacher and love their products.

I think there was an earlier thread about (or containing information about) liberal Christian or nonliteral Christian religious ed materials, which were the type of materials I was looking for. If that's part of what you are looking for, then I can probably find the thread for you tomorrow (right now I'm supposed to be making cobbler).

See what I mean? My son is 7. He started coming home telling me I'm going to hell for this or that, because that's what they told him at school. If my values were aligned with the school's there wouldn't be a problem, but they're not. I don't believe in hell, I don't believe in a spiteful God, etc. I'm not trying to start a religious debate or argument or anything, but I'm really at a loss here. I was hoping someone else has been in my situation and could help.

Can you switch parishes? I have a 2nd grader and a Ker who just did a year of CCE and VBS and there was no mention of hell at all. The kids used Faith First textbooks. Even 30 years ago, there was not much emphasis on hell in CCE. I don't remember ever thinking I would go to hell as a kid and I even did my confirmation when I was 12. Maybe you've got a very unusual religious ed program or a lame teacher this year?

:grouphug:

I think there was an earlier thread about (or containing information about) liberal Christian or nonliteral Christian religious ed materials, which were the type of materials I was looking for. If that's part of what you are looking for, then I can probably find the thread for you tomorrow (right now I'm supposed to be making cobbler).

That would be great if you could find that thread. I've never heard of nonliteral Christians, but that may be what I am. I just personally find all the rules very stifling regarding Catholicism. I enjoyed the Conversations With God books, but there is just one storybook for children, no other materials.

Thanks for all your help, ladies!

http://www.galorepark.co.uk/subjects-textbooks-religious_studies.html These books are superb for living religions of the world type of thing for young people. I welcome you as a fellow home educator and as a Catholic person on the boards. There have been many great discussions regarding "secular" religious education materials on the board if you search the tags using the words, world religions and the like ,I think you will find that you are not alone at all in seeking these materials nor in your struggles at this time with the church whatever those struggles might be. Even within the subgroup of Catholic board members you will find a wide range of orientations here and I think it is an incredibly well informed and outspoken group of people. By way of introduction and not limitation, I happen to be one of the relaxed , pro-Vatican II , holding hands during prayer, hugging during the peace offering , guitar mass kinda gal. I certainly love a Latin or Gaelic mass when I can get to one as well. there is so much to be said for the richness of tradition . I want it all and therein lies the problem for me...In any event welcome to the board, I hope you find some peace and support to meet your needs . We used a large number of resources from Loyola Publishing for religious education and I found them to resonate well for our family. http://www.loyolapress.com/educational-programs.htm

I'm a little confused. Do you want a general curriculum that's religious or are you going to be buying a secular curriculum and then looking for something to teach your child about religion "on the side". If it's the second then a search for world religions here would turn up lots of threads. Other then that I'd recommend a general book on world religions for kids and lots of readings of differents myths.

I'd love to recommend a book for you (I don't know any "God books" for children that aren't Bible based!), if you have time to read. It's a really good autobiography. Anne Rice (author of Interview with a Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, etc.) wrote her autobiography Called Out of Darkness just last year. It's a wonderful spiritual journey of someone who left and returned to the Catholic church. I think you might find some resonance with it. I did, and I'm Presbyterian! GRIN.

((Christine))

My kids currently attend Catholic school. My son wants me to homeschool him, so we are in the process of evaluating that request. I am a Catholic, albeit non-practicing. I go to church when I have to. It's a requirement of the school if you are a parisioner there to attend weekly, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I make my donation, but I'm just not comfortable with everything being taught in the church and school. I sent my kids there because it's a better education than the public schools.

Christine

If your children are going to Catholic school, I'd use Faith & Life religion books and literature study like Catholic Mosaic. You can get both at By Way of the Family.

:grouphug:

And I'd try to talk to your son's teachers about what Religion class has been talking about lately. Hell never came up in my 2nd grade class!

Don't be offended but I have and love:

The Complete Idiot's Guide to World Religions

ISBN: 0-02-864208-2

For the most part, I find the book to be pretty accurate in its teachings and it would be a good springboard for other World Religion studies. For each religion, they have a separate book list and a separate time line in the back of the book. This would give you and your son a good overview of World Religions and you wouldn't be filling him with doctrine from any particular Faith.

Fwiw--- I was raised Roman Catholic for 20 yrs, then was a Protestant for 20 yrs and presently I've been Christian Orthodox for the last 9 yrs. Each Christian Faith handles Bible interpretation in an entirely different way. I know what you mean about the "hell" emphasis. It gets old hearing it when you believe differently.

I'm still not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but here are two relig. ed programs that can be done at home.

My dss have used Faith & Life in CCD and I used Image of God with them when they were little. I think the Image of God series is probably a little more gentle than Faith & Life. More importantly, IMO, it's not necessarily the program you use but how it is presented. I'm sure there are programs out there that are more strict than others; but again, as with most things, the message received is determined by the delivery.

http://www.ignatius.com/Textbooks/CatechismSeries.aspx?SID=1&

HTH

I guess I'm interpreting the OP's request for God/religious oriented resources that follow a more nonliteral interpretation of the Bible, or a more liberal/tolerant/nonexclusivist approach. I've enjoyed the books we have by Lawrence Kushner "What Does God Look Like?", "Where is God?" and some others. You can search on amazon. These are for young kids.

Young children's bibles don't usually have a focus on hell and other similar topics. We read them with a non-literal focus, and talk about the meaning and application of the stories.

I'm still having a hard time finding the thread I'm thinking of, but I think people talked about the Unitarian curriculum.

For adults feeling disaffected with literalist Christianity, an author like John Shelby Spong is great. (I've read his books so long ago I forget which is the best.) I would also recommend Marcus Borg's "Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time", for someone looking to reconcile Christian practice with a nonliteral interpretation.

It depends on what your goals are for religious ed. If you want him to be eligible for sacraments, then you can enroll him in the parish CCE program and you won't have to teach anything. I'm an ex-Catholic atheist and this is my solution to the issue. Dh and grandparents really want the kids to make their first communion and I don't mind, but I really don't want to have to teach Catholic doctrine, kwim?

If you want a general exposure to world religions with no particular emphasis on Christianity, take a look at the Usborne Encyclopedia of World Religions:

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Encyclopedia-World-Religions-Internet-Linked/dp/0794510590/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246754940&sr=8-1

It will serve as a nice spine and you can get picture books or videos from the library to round out your studies. If he's old enough you can read some of the sacred texts of the religious traditions you're studying.

OTOH, you might want to study the Bible as literature rather than as a sacred text. You could just read through a children's bible or an adult version depending on his age and ask some comprehension questions. Knowing the major stories will make reading other literature much easier (as will Greek mythology). I do this with my kids by reading a story from a Bible story book and a story from D'Aulaire's Greek Myths a couple of times a week. I like doing it this way because it doesn't place any special significance on the Bible stories, they're given equal value as the Greek myths.

Good luck finding something that you like.

Hi Christine,

Chiguirre has outlined some very good options. So many different factors come into play here. What are your spouse's beliefs and expectations? What are your extended families' expectations and beliefs? What do you want/need? Is your circle of friends predominantly other school families?

The first grade teacher may be one poor teacher in an otherwise good school. However, even if that is the case your youngest would still have to have that teacher. (I'm assuming the standard one class per grade) And if you are seriously questioning your faith, it may become an increasingly uncomfortable place to be. The principal of our parish school that my children attended for 6 years told me that they were unable to address the needs of accelerated dc. I don't know if that is the case at your school.

If you are committed to home schooling, the CCE (same as CCD?) would be the easiest. They will keep your dc on the path for First Communion and hopefully quiet any family concerns about raising your children in your faith. You will have one less subject to worry about while you learn the home schooling ropes.

Many will probably disagree with this but you could also not order any Bible study materials the first year, especially if you feel your faith is in crisis. First, the selection process is overwhelming unless you know specifically what you want. Second, even mild materials can feel like they are shouting at you when you are in the questioning mode. Nightly prayers (if that's what you do) and reading a children's Bible may give you both some space and peace.

Edited by swimmermom3
Typo

I too would talk to your son's teachers or principal.

The worst he should have been able to come home and say is that they learned something was a sin. No one can say who is going to hell or not, except God. He might have learned about purgatory (which is NOT hell or heaven) and which the majority of us will spend some quality time.;)

Aside from that, have you considered buying the Catechism of the Catholic Church? It will have bible references, as well as historical reference, and some other explaination on why the Church teaches what it does (which sadly might not be the same as what your son is being taught).

I say this because MANY people, Catholic or otherwise, don't know what the Church really is because they think it's all about what some teacher or lady down the street or columnist in the paper, even in some cases what a priest said. And sometimes it's just not.

I think many people go through a phase of questioning and doubt. Many people go through it multiple times. I think it can be a wonderful opportunity to actually learn and grow in Catholism.

If there is a quality RCIA program, you might consider that as an option as well. In a good one, they will have (possibly even give you one too) a CCC and there will be open discussion of the whys and such of various topics that are common hurdles for those of the faith or new to the faith. You might be surprised that you wil not be the only catholic there.

:grouphug: as you search for understanding.

I've been pleased with the way CLE does not add much CC into their math; we'll start the language arts soon, if it is anything like the math I don't expect to have to explain any differences at all. Their curriculum is very straight forward academically, without the heavy-handed Bible-thumping that annoys me. I'm a very literal-Bible conservative Christian, but I don't feel the need or desire to have that part of my children's core education. Math should be math, grammar should be grammar. It's one thing to diagram a sentence taken from the Bible - it's another to bash a child over the head with religeous content. KWIM? CLE may do the former, but from what I can tell they absolutely do NOT do the latter.

We're working through two levels (math 100 & math 500), and have completed one lightunit in one of the levels (101). In LU 101 there was no mention of the Bible at all; in 102 it mentions in one word problem a family attending church with one child staying home due to illness. LU 501 has a "just for fun" page of Bible math, but we skipped it completely.

Rather than avoid religion altogether, perhaps this is a time for your son to learn about many different beliefs, including yours. My husband and I are devout in our beliefs, but we strategically allow our 4yo to learn about what others believe and to respect those other beliefs. For example, we always pray at mealtime, and when she notices others not doing so, we discuss with her why other people might not pray in a way that allows her (we hope) to respect others' choices and beliefs.

So if you want your child to have a religious education, why not study many religions and take some time to compare and contrast them? Help him understand why you don't believe some things that he has been taught. I don't think you have to have all the answers to provide a religious education to your children.

Now, if my son IS going to be homeschooled, he won't receive any religious education. His little sister is still enrolled there because she loves it, so far. My question is, are there any religious education resources I can use at home that aren't Bible-based?

You might want to take a look at this series of worktexts available on the world religions. The titles are Inside Buddhism, Inside Hinduism, Inside Islam, Inside Christianity, Inside Judaism, and they're published by Milliken.