Menu

Wallpaper...how evil would it be...

to *not* remove the wallpaper in the master bathroom--the wallpaper which is over 15 years old and which was applied directly to the wallboard without being sized and which tends to take wallboard with it when removed??? Couldn't I just prime it with oil-based Kilz and apply a faux stone finish to it? Please??

Guest Alte Veste Academy
to *not* remove the wallpaper in the master bathroom--the wallpaper which is over 15 years old and which was applied directly to the wallboard without being sized and which tends to take wallboard with it when removed??? Couldn't I just prime it with oil-based Kilz and apply a faux stone finish to it? Please??

I've seen a few HGTV decorators do that ONLY if the wallpaper is 100% stuck on, no peeling or crackling. Of course, I've seen others insist that it must be removed at all costs. I would personally decide based on looking at the paper to weigh how hard removal would be against its condition and, therefore, risk of making all my painting have to be redone anytime soon.

If it was applied directly to the wall board, there is no way I would try to remove it.

I would paint over it. If the design was a flat design, with out texture, it will turn out the best. I would putty the cracks, and sand any ridges. Fix any bubbles with a syringe and glue. It will not look perfect because it won't have the orange peel texture we are all used to on painted walls. I would expect it to at least look better than 15yo wall paper.

You may want to look for a darker paint. I would expect it would hide the flaws more than a lighter paint. I would also use a flat paint or at least a very low luster paint, the higher the gloss the more obvious the lines or pattern will be.

I removed a wall of paper exactly like that once. What a nightmare. Seriously. Chunks taken out of the drywall. Weird "crackle finish" where the paste simply refused to come off... bad. I say in all honesty...

LEAVE THE PAPER ON!

We had this situation in our kitchen. The wallboard came down with the wallpaper. But ours was peeling. Even if it wasn't we didn't want to deal with the seams. We primed with and oil-based primer and textured over the wall with joint compound. We have had no problems.

that's how our whole house is - wallpaper right on to the plaster; there's no way we were taking it off. Ideally, if we were staying in this house longer, we're at the point where we'd love to rip it all down to the studs and start over, but we're hoping to move in a couple of years so it's not worth it. If we would have had the time and money in the first place to do it, we would have......but we just live with the imperfections of the wallpaper.

that's how our whole house is - wallpaper right on to the plaster; there's no way we were taking it off. Ideally, if we were staying in this house longer, we're at the point where we'd love to rip it all down to the studs and start over, but we're hoping to move in a couple of years so it's not worth it. If we would have had the time and money in the first place to do it, we would have......but we just live with the imperfections of the wallpaper.

Same here. Whole house. We painted over everything and it looks, uh, not TOO bad. We have lots of boys too though, so we knew that our home would look beat up in a short amount of time anyways:lol::tongue_smilie:

We did this in a previous home. In one room (the foyer), it worked fine. In the other room (the kitchen), the textured finish and paint proved to be the perfect wallpaper remover. :glare:

I'm with the others, I would buy the Kilz (non-water based) and paint over it. I might also add some texture if it needed it after maybe sanding down the seams. We have an old house that came with painted over wall paper and we don't even notice it. Fresh paint, nicely placed wall hangings and pictures and there you go!

Best to you on your summer project.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I rented a house and in the master bedroom was gold foil wallpaper. There was no choice but to paint over it. Several coats of thick paint later and you would have never known it was there.

Ok, for gold foil wallpaper, I might just put up new drywall. Over it. And be haunted, knowing the horror that lies beneath.

We used joint compound/plaster right on top of our wallpaper. No priming. It's been fine. Did it in the kitchen and a bath and plan to do it to the other two baths. I has a nice terxture-y finish - like Tuscan I guess. In the small bath we painted and then used a stain glaze over top for an old world finish - like Venitian Plaster. In the kitchen we just painted a color called "Ale". Looks good if I do say so myself.:tongue_smilie:

Right now we are dealing with stubborn wallpaper--actually, it's a border. Although it wasn't applied directly to the drywall, it does appear that no primer was used under the paint. The paint comes off with the wallpaper, along with bits of drywall. What's worked great for us is a wallpaper steamer. Now it comes off much more easily.

You may want to look for a darker paint. I would expect it would hide the flaws more than a lighter paint. I would also use a flat paint or at least a very low luster paint, the higher the gloss the more obvious the lines or pattern will be.

We have a room painted in a dark color, and there are lots of visible flaws underneath. I don't think the darkness matters. The sheen will matter. Ours is a somewhat shiny satin, I guess. I wouldn't call it semi-gloss, but the light from the window picks up every little bump.