Menu

If you were going to use a workbook for spelling, which one?

Tenaj

I really, really like the more teacher hands-on approaches to spelling. I have and have used Spelling Power, and How to Teach Spelling but I'm running out of time to actually implement these methods. My seventh grader is using sequential spelling (with Megawords) which of course, requires my hands-on attention.

So I'm thinking of putting my first grader and third grader into a workbook approach, at least for this year with our new little one due to arrive at the beginning of our school year. I've used Spelling Workout with little success at retention (long ago with my older kids), I've used Building Spelling Skills but even the first book has 20 words per list which is a LOT for a little kid.

I've been looking at A Reason for Spelling but am worried that it's not "rules-based" enough for my liking. I like the fact that dictation is included and the pages with lots of color look like fun.

Am I missing any great, super, wonderful (is that enough adjectives?) workbook approach spelling curriculums out there that I should consider? Or am I agonizing over a decision that should be an easy one, just pick one and do it and not worry so much! I'm guessing probably the second!

Thanks so much for your help!

Sorry--haven't used it, but I really like the look of R&S Spelling, and I've heard great things about it.

And just a little side note (if you care), Cheryl Lowe (from Memoria Press) uses it at her private school in KY--they use it one grade level ahead throughout elementary.

We like Rod and Staff. We switched to that from SWO a little over a year ago. I thought the activities in SWO were a lot of busywork that didn't necessarily help you learn anything. My rising 4th grader is about halfway through the 4th grade book. She does the work by herself, though I might give a brief (1 minute) overview of the lesson on Monday. She does section A on Monday, B on Tuesday, C on Wednesday, and then tests on Thursday or Friday. The activities with the words are actually teaching English language skills--very worthwhile, no busy work.

My rising first grader will be starting the 2nd grade book (that's where R&S begins). She is an older first grader and is reading well and the 2nd grade book looks very appropriate both word-wise and quantity-of-writing-wise.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of or used Bonnie Terry's Spelling Sense? It is supposed to break down most of the most common 500 words into just 8 spelling patterns. Maybe another program does this as well? The site has no sample pages:tongue_smilie: but appears to be highly recommended.

Thanks for your input!

We have used both MCP spelling and ABeka spelling. Both are "functional" and helpful, we think. Used Calvert's old spelling CDs with our older two children. They are overly simple (use one or two grade levels above what your child acrually is), but delightful ! The current Calvert program ("Everyday Spelling") also is fine.

I'm going with Spellwell this year for my third grader. They are the same company that does the "Code" books, which he enjoys. I'm going light on spelling for him. I'll be honest, spelling was always easy for me and I despise word lists and prefer to correct/teach word construction and roots as we go in the younger grades. There is plenty of opportunity for practicing good spelling habits within the context of his copywork, handwriting, reading and grammar studies so I don't worry about it. Spellwell is just enough for me.

I'm looking forward to digging into our Bob Jones spelling workbook with DD, my 6th grader in a few weeks. It is more than just spelling lists and has some interesting essays about words, roots and literature as well. I think she will enjoy it.

Caveat: We have yet to USE these two products. ;) So far, I just like what I see.

When my son was younger he liked the Evan Moor building spelling skills and I liked that it came as an ebook so I could print things off as we went. We tried SWO and it wasn't for him. He's also tried Spelling power and AAS. but we need more hands off spelling for me so this year we're going to try Phonetic zoo. I do have Apples and Pears just in case PZ isn't his cup of tea and I love the looks of it.

My dd who is technically 2nd grade but only in 1st grade level LA work will use McRuffy for LA which includes phonics, reading, and spelling.

We really like R&S Spelling by Sound and Structure here. We switched from Spelling Power, though I still use the practice worksheets from Spelling Power if my dd misses a word. Her spelling has improved a great deal since the switch. I just started my 5yo ds on Spelling by Sound and Structure 2 since we just finished up his phonics program.

Spelling Workout, and that is what we've been using for the past two years. Dd has done very well with spelling through this workbook, and one thing I really like is that there is always a small section that includes composition using the current weekly word list.

We would continue with SW, but dd has expressed a need for a change since she has not used anything else so far. We will be going with Spelling Power (which is recommended by TOG). This program is not workbook based, but rather a curriculum that you purchase once and use in increments over several grades or stages.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We've used both Spelling Workout and A Beka with success. I probably prefer Spelling Workout. I think it does a great job of teaching important spelling rules, plus, as SWB and JW point out, Spelling Workout also introduces proofreading marks.

Edited by Imprimis