Menu

Any happy Saxon Math users care to chime in?

Joy at Home

On my quest for a cheap math program for next year, I have the opportunity to buy Saxon Prealgebra used. DD is just finishing TT7. If she were to start Saxon next year, do you think Pre-alg would be a good place to start? I know TT is about a year behind (my opinion), so I'm trying to decide if she should be moving into 8/7 or pre-alg? I'm thinking Pre-alg should be fine, but I'll have to take a good look at the content of 8/7. Just curious what other's experiences are with Saxon for upper level math. Also, do you find the DIVE CDs helpful? DD kind of got tired of TT CDs toward the end and just used the book, but it would be nice to have a CD if we get stuck.

thanks so much for your help!

lisa

We just finished 8/7 and did not use the CD. She doesn't like math ;) but it doesn't change the fact that *I* can teach from Saxon.

I like it. It's laid out well, it has repetition, it introduces new concepts a bit at a time, I think it's underappreciated. We used Rod & Staff up until 6/5 and then switched over. I switched DS this year as well.

She'll be doing Algebra 1/2 this year (8th grade.) I'll be buying Saxon again. I'm happy.

I don't know the "course plan" - maybe give her the placement test which is free on Saxon's site.... but we just started with Saxon this year (2009-2010) and I am truly kicking myself we didn't do it sooner. The lay out is so easy to handle I love it.

My ds is in Algebra and I got the CD. He doesn't really LIKE it but I do. If he has a serious problem and doesn't "get it" he can always watch the CD and they will walk him through it.

I actually already bought Algebra 2 because I got it for a good deal and we'll move into it when he is done with Algebra 1.

If dd is solid on her math facts and comfortable with fractions, decimals, and percents, you should be fine to go into prealgebra. Saxon does have a placement test.

We have always used a mix of Saxon and Singapore, and there is a lot to like about both programs. I really like the way the upper levels of Saxon in particular are laid out - - if you have the newer editions, each problem has a lesson number beside it, making it super easy to assign only certain problems if your student doesn't need all the repetition.

Sometimes you'll read posts saying Saxon isn't a good choice for mathy kids, but I don't think I agree. I never heard that when I first started hs'ing about 7years ago; curricula can be very trendy! ;)

There are lots of math-oriented professionals who give Saxon two thumbs up, including my b-i-l, who spent part of his time visiting us going through a stack of high school math books (I store the library for a hs group). He said Saxon looked extremely solid, by far the best choice in his mind.

Now, this stack included the usual suspects for high school math, not stuff like Singapore, Russian math, or Chalkdust. But I don't have the math cojones to teach the exotic stuff, and if we can successfully use a solid program at a reasonable expense, I'm good with that.

We considered a video program for ease, but it really seemed like it would just increase the time, as dd can figure out most lessons on her own. I might go for the solutions cds, but hopefully not till algebra.

I loved Saxon. I used it from 6/5 to Alg II/Trig with out oldest. I used the DIVE CD for Alg II/Trig. We didn't feel he needed to take anything beyond that because of his college degree choice, so in 12th, he took Business Math. He CLEPed out of College Algebra. Oh, and he is not a big fan of math, he just did what was required of him.

I'm now using it with my younger boys: Saxon 3 and 5/4. I love it.

We've only gone as far as 6/5, but I'm happy w/the kids' test scores so far (3-5 grade levels above on the WJIII). There was a post about a week ago (at least I think it was on these boards) about the need for an edit to TWTM about how you should not skip 8/7 if your child is doing well--it's the Algebra 1/2 that is more appropriate for review (TWTM says the opposite). I know I'm not phrasing this right, and I hope someone else can help me out here.

Laura

I'm so excited to hear all these great comments!

I have been wavering with my 2 dc (dd16 doing a full Algebra 1 review using Saxon after having used TT and feeling like something was missing from TT...her words) and ds11 working through 7/6 after using half of TT6 and telling me TT was too easy.

I am NOT bashing TT...we found it filled a need for our family and provided a good introduction to higher math for dd16. After realizing she can do the math, she is ready for a bit more of a challenge...we think Saxon is a good "next step". I should have gone up a level with ds11...that was my error, not the curriculum.

Dd16 is using TT Geometry as a separate course and it is very thorough and none too easy.

We decided to use Saxon Algebra 1 to review over the summer and she will begin Saxon Algebra 2 when she's done. She has gone through about 20 tests in Saxon when she started to find she actually needed to go through the lessons and do the practice problems. She says she feels Saxon is more difficult (in a good way) and provides more challenging problems, which TT did not do. She will be finishing up her "review" soon and is looking forward to the Algebra 2. She also says she likes that there will be review throughout for geometry. She was afraid she would forget by the time she takes her SAT next summer.

My ds11 has done well with Saxon 7/6. He has used Saxon in the past and did well...don't ask me why we felt the need to try something else...well, I'm easily convinced...that could be why! :D

Anyway, he has used Saxon 3, 6/5, and now 7/6. I already have 8/7. And, since he's a young-ish 7th grader (in the Fall) we will probably go a head and do Algebra 1/2 and wait to do Algebra 1 in 9th. No hurry.

I find it thorough and easy to teach from, which is more than I can say for other programs we've considered. We like the continual review.

Robin

Edited by Robin in DFW

On my quest for a cheap math program for next year, I have the opportunity to buy Saxon Prealgebra used. DD is just finishing TT7. If she were to start Saxon next year, do you think Pre-alg would be a good place to start? I know TT is about a year behind (my opinion), so I'm trying to decide if she should be moving into 8/7 or pre-alg? I'm thinking Pre-alg should be fine, but I'll have to take a good look at the content of 8/7. Just curious what other's experiences are with Saxon for upper level math. Also, do you find the DIVE CDs helpful? DD kind of got tired of TT CDs toward the end and just used the book, but it would be nice to have a CD if we get stuck.

thanks so much for your help!

lisa

Since you are specifically asking about Saxon Pre-Algebra after using TT7, I would have to say that I *wouldn't* recommend that particular leap. The Saxon book (an excellent text) will be too much of a jump. Definitely take the Saxon placement exam, and if in doubt, start at an earlier level.

IMO, most kids DO need more than a textbook at the Pre-Algebra and up level. I've used Dive CDs in the past, but this year, I invested in John Reed's DVD disks (same price as the DVD but an actual teacher) and I am very happy with them. He used to run Saxon's Homeschool Help Desk and is more than willing to help place students properly. Take a look at his website http://www.usingsaxon.com.

HTH,

We do math facts only first (plus, minus, times, divide)

And then start independently into Saxon Math 54.

Then the 9 Saxon books, every problem, every book, student makes their own corrections. Independently.

It's really "all in the book" if the student actucally reads every page ;)

The SaxonTeacher product is available now for those who prefer the computer CD setup similar to Teaching Textbooks.

:seeya:

Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence for Saxon!! I feel really good about my decision now. I'm going to take the placement test, but I agree that 8/7 will give a solid foundation for pre-alg without overwhelming her.

Thanks ladies!

Lisa

Placement tests are good, and after 8/7 she can move directly into Algebra 1.

And fwiw, I'm a happy Saxon mom/teacher.

Tammy, that's interesting. So you think you can transition from 8/7 to algebra? Is that what most people do?

I have to say, I think I'm going to start dd8 in Saxon 3. We've been low key with math up to now, just working on facts, etc. But I like the idea of staying with something for the long haul. Did any of you use the lower levels of Saxon?

Thanks!!

Lisa

I think whether 8/7 or Pre-Algebra is the level not to miss (and which is for extra practice) depends on which edition you're using.

With the newest edition of Saxon, 8/7 is the recommended main text.

If you use the older editions (which I prefer, re this article: http://www.lewrockwell.com/taylor/taylor75.html) then the advice in TWTM (definitely use Pre-Algebra, 8/7 is for kids who need extra practice before Pre-Alg) holds.

I used Saxon in high school (Alg I, II, and Advanced Math) and loved it, btw. :)

Oooh, this opens up a whole new set of questions. How many of you are using older versions of Saxon? Are new versions consumable? Darn, I had old sets of Saxion 5/4 on up years ago and I sold them. Which version do you use? Why? Where is the best place to find them?

Guess I have research to do. Thanks for the info!!

Lisa

Oooh, this opens up a whole new set of questions. How many of you are using older versions of Saxon? My family uses older editions of Saxon.

Are new versions consumable? Darn, I had old sets of Saxion 5/4 on up years ago and I sold them. Which version do you use? 1st or 2nd editions.

Why? Two reasons: price and Robinson recommended the earlier editions. I was experimenting with the Robinson curriculum at the time and have found that his recommendations for math have worked well for my family longterm.

Where is the best place to find them? I've found most of mine on e-bay.

Guess I have research to do. Thanks for the info!!

Lisa

Best of luck! :001_smile:

We are using Saxon 1 now, and my dd6 is flying through it. She is really retaining everything, and is proud of herself. I have had to cut back on some of the review problems, though, because I get the eyes rolling and the, "Mom, I all ready know how to do that" complaint. During K, I used a workbook from the parent teacher store, and she really enjoyed it. When we started Saxon, she missed all the colorful pages, but, oh well. Other than it not being all colorful and "cute-sy", she is enjoying it. I am enjoying the scripted lessons and the information that she is retaining. I plan on using it for as long as it works for her.

Oh, and I plan on using Saxon K with my dd4 when she starts K. Has anyone used this before?

HTH, and Thanks!

Tammy, that's interesting. So you think you can transition from 8/7 to algebra? Is that what most people do?

QUOTE]

I would just add in a word of caution. My dd did Saxon algebra 1 in 8th grade and then algebra 2 in 9th grade. We really struggled with the algebra 2. I don't think developmental she was ready for that level of thinking at that age. We managed to get through the book but it was a huge struggle. The algebra 2 book was tough and there was little to no review in the book of any algebra 1 concepts. I am starting my ds this year in 7/6 and plan to do 8/7 and algebra 1/2 so we delay algebra 1 to 9th grade. Just our experience.

I used Saxon for all my children. Two have graduated. We have done Saxon 2 through Calculus (my oldest just did Algebra 2 through Calculus, not a good thing -- start at least with Algebra 1). Both did well in math. The oldest now has a BS in Electrical Enginnering. The next in line is going into her junior year working toward a degree in comuter informational systems.

My third child is half way through the Advanced Math book and just finished her 10th grade year. And the 9yo will start 65 next school year.

We always skipped 87, but we have the old books. I collected all the books before they went to the paperback ones.

We are happy Saxon users here.

Linda