Menu

Californians---In light of the recent case, how are you feeling about next year?

I do have to say I'm feeling a bit nervous, maybe even moreso since the HSLDA has said that they think the ruling seems to deny the fundamental right to homeschool.

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/ca/200803030.asp

Next year would actually be our first year filing an R-4. We went ahead and did 1st grade this year, but in PS he wouldn't start until next year (just missed the cutoff), so no need to R-4. I did check out some public homeschooling charters, but didn't find one that really floated my boat. Now I'm feeling a bit unsettled. I know this is a particular circumstance in this court case, but I guess I'm uncomfortable with the idea of homeschooling being suddenly "illegal". Ugh.

Do you file an R-4?

Yes, I've been filing the R-4 for a number of years. All my information is already there. So I see no reason for me to not file next year. I'll be keeping my eye on the situation, but as things are now, I don't see a reason for me to do anything differently.

But I will admit to looking at other options so I have a backup plan just in case. I guess it just really depends on how things go over the next several months.

This all started a couple of years ago. The writing was on the wall when CHEA informed us to go ahead and fill out the R4 even when the state web site said Do Not use this for homeschooling.

We moved last year, out of the state. Idaho has NO homeschooling regulations. It's what HSLDA calls "GREEN".

We didn't move just because of homeschooling, but it was just one more reason to get out of CA.

I am going to continue on as usual, but the case has added a bit of fear and trembling into my planning. :o

I have heard that it was one of the families older children who turned the parents in for abuse. Not sure what type of abuse, but perhaps the court felt there was legitimate cause for removing the children from that schooling situation. I do know some home schoolers who are quite strange and unfortunately make the rest of us look like fanatics as well. This doesn't mean that the government should be allowed to tell us how our children have to be schooled though; I resent even the thought of that! :mad:

I suppose we'll just have to wait it out. If homeschooling becomes illegal in CA though, the schools will NOT be able to handle the influx of children! At least not where I live...the schools are already overflowing. The private Christian schools are packed full as well. They (ps) already have an independent study program in place which is their version of "homeschool." I have a feeling many of us would be able to utilize that option should the need arise.

All I can say is prayer is a powerful tool...I suggest we all use it. ;)

This all started a couple of years ago. The writing was on the wall when CHEA informed us to go ahead and fill out the R4 even when the state web site said Do Not use this for homeschooling.

We moved last year, out of the state. Idaho has NO homeschooling regulations. It's what HSLDA calls "GREEN".

We didn't move just because of homeschooling, but it was just one more reason to get out of CA.

Ah yes, Idaho! I was just think this very thing the other day...we'll just move to Idaho! We have tons of family there so it wouldn't be a hard adjustment. [sigh]

We would probably already be out of CA if it weren't for my husbands job. He'd be losing his retirement if we moved! We'll have free medical for life in two more years, and he can retire fully in 10-15. Thats very hard to leave...

You could stay under the radar for 2 years. It will take that long for them to even start enforcing the law. Then, get that health for life, and get out and get a new job up here and still retire in 10 years. Costs are cheaper up here, you know that, yes??

I'd just keep on doing what I was doing...and make sure my HSLDA membership was current. I would not just put my dc into school based on this court's decision.

California is a wonderful state to live in--beautiful weather (depending on where you live, lol), beaches, mountains, so many places to see--that I wouldn't move based on this one case.

I told Michael Smith's assistant long ago that I was SO ready to be the first test case, lol. Bring it on!

I've filed an R-4 for the past four years, and I expect to continue to do so. I am concerned about this case, but nothing has changed for the rest of us at this time, and probably, nothing will. Until the school district starts coming after me, I'll continue as a private school.

Now, if the law actually changes to outlaw all of us, I guess I'll have to decide what options are available. There are so many homeschoolers up here in Santa Clarita, it would require an entire new elementary school to be built just to take them all in. So I figure I'd have time to deal with the situation!

Michelle T

I do think it is best to just keep going. If you are unsure about filing an R-4, I would join a private ISP group. I would not use this to turn to the public charters and ISP, as in my mind that would be giving in a bit too much at this point-ultimately the public school system would like the money lost with private homeschoolers, so I would not want to give in to that. I don't see a need to change unless it is actually illegal, and then I am not sure what I would do...:)

I agree with Michelle, I cannot imagine what they would do with all the homeschoolers-my county is FULL of them.

I'm also not changing plans. It's definitely not time to bury out heads in the sand but it's not time to panic either. I haven't read the entire article about the ruling but if it's the court up in San Francisco, the decision isn't surprising. That court is totally out of touch with reality and often has its rulings overturned.

I will continue to file an R-4 but as backup, I'll look into an ISP program with a local private Christian school. California schools are already overcrowded and under-funded so I refuse to be forced to send my children there. As Ellie wrote earlier, if California wants to fight..."Bring it on!" :mad:

I thought I remembered this. That single fact bugs me, but then I was h'sed when it would have been flat out illegal except that my dad had kept his teaching cert. up, so I may be paranoid. ;)

We were with a charter in CA when that word was out and the charter was a lifesaver for us--grad school budget kept us broke most of the time so having curriculum provided was an answer to prayer (we continued to use TWTM materials with the charter).

I do have to say I'm feeling a bit nervous...

While it's certainly not impossible (or even unlikely) that this ruling could result in many further challenges to the rights of current homeschoolers, I think CA schools are hard pressed to think about absorbing the huge numbers of children whose families are happily joining a fast growing trend. And those families are largely doing so because they find the schools to be insufficient in some demonstrable way -- be it lacking gifted programs, special ed, low academic standards, personal safety issues (extreme bullying), or swiss cheese-like scope and sequence -- these issues are those that appeal to the success of the entire nation/society. I don't see public schools being equipped (even the very good ones) to knock these issues down one by one to the satisfaction/high expectations of increasingly well-educated parents who are willing to sacrifice to get their kids what they need.

Since there are so many people who do homeschool well and increasing numbers making huge names for themselves who are proud to have been homseschooled and (for another minute or two, anyway) we still prize our personal freedoms, I think with proper backing and noise any real challenge to "constitutional basis" would be handily dealt with.

It just, as I've said elsewhere, horrifies :eek: me that the family in question even hit the radar for homeschooling when they're clearly a social trainwreck in many other very basic ways. Hopefully, whomever sees this ruling will also look further and acknowledge the latter.

(I'm waving, Kay!) ;)

About 4-5 years ago I got a letter stating that the only legal means for homeschooling in California was via a public charter school, and that any homeschooling child NOT enrolled in a charter would be considered truant. I can't remember now if it was a state-wide letter or only from our county office of education, but needless to say everyone in San Diego freaked out!

But ultimately nothing came of it, and nothing has changed. People still file R-4s, and every so often a case like this current one gets all the homeschoolers up in arms. Don't let yourselves get caught up in the excitement of it, just file your R-4 and don't worry about it.

The California homeschool groups are the best for keeping informed -- CHN and, oh shoot what's the other one??!!

I link (I hope) to court documents for the case in question. This family has a long and sordid history unrelated to homeschooling. The court's findings as to homeschooling merely reflect the laws which have been in place all along.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:-gfLatRwHh8J:www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/nonpub/B192601.DOC+JD00773&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Unless your particular geographical area in California has shown itself as hostile, I would not worry at all.

I don't think there's been a court case in CA where homeschooling was ruled illegal - in fact, the opposite has been the case. It has consistently been ruled as legal, and the lower court ruled it legal in this case as well. Surprisingly, this was NOT the San Francisco court, which has it's cases overturned by the CA supreme court about 90% of the time - it's the Los Angeles court, of which I have no knowledge.

Also, this effectively makes homeschooling illegal in ALL ways in CA, be it public charter school, private umbrella school, or R4. So even those of us using a charter school are worried.

Danika

I've filed an R-4 for the past four years, and I expect to continue to do so. I am concerned about this case, but nothing has changed for the rest of us at this time, and probably, nothing will. Until the school district starts coming after me, I'll continue as a private school.

Now, if the law actually changes to outlaw all of us, I guess I'll have to decide what options are available. There are so many homeschoolers up here in Santa Clarita, it would require an entire new elementary school to be built just to take them all in. So I figure I'd have time to deal with the situation!

Michelle T

I completely agree with this quote! This is me too. We will keep on keeping on. We have filed an R4 for many years and will continue it next year.

You could stay under the radar for 2 years. It will take that long for them to even start enforcing the law. Then, get that health for life, and get out and get a new job up here and still retire in 10 years. Costs are cheaper up here, you know that, yes??

Cost are cheaper, but so are wages I hear. :D

California's liberal agenda is what drives me crazy! Ack! Enough already! If homeschooling becomes illegal that will just be the last straw. Trust me, if things get too bad here in CA, we'll leave...somehow. Lord willing. ;)

Well, we're part of a public charter, which if this ruling were taken seriously would also be invalidated. We think every year about leaving and filing a private school affidavit, but decide "not yet." We'll keep doing what we're doing. The law hasn't changed and the sky isn't falling.

Are you sure? I don't think so. Your children are considered public school students, and they fall into a whole different category legally.

Are you sure? I don't think so. Your children are considered public school students, and they fall into a whole different category legally.

She is stating what Brad Dacus from the Pacific Justice Institute thinks:

"The scope of this decision by the appellate court is breathtaking. It not only attacks traditional home schooling, but also calls into question home schooling through charter schools and teaching children at home via independent study through public and private schools," stated Brad Dacus, president of the Pacific Justice Institute "If not reversed, the parents of the more than 166,000 students currently receiving an education at home will be subject to criminal sanctions," he continued."

Link here.

...and not only that, but the court ruling specifically stated that children must be educated in a school, by a credentialed teacher.

The family (who lost the right to homeschool) was enrolled in a Private School ISP. Teachers at that school proctored tests and saw the kids a few times a year and collected work samples. The ruling stated that was not good enough. (How I wish the wording affected only that one family and not every home educator in the state.)

So I can see where the worry is for people using the public charter ISP programs, or even public school district home study programs. The kids are not physically in a school classroom nor being taught on a daily basis by credentialed teachers, even if a credentialed teacher is overseeing the process and/or creating assignments.

My family used to be part of a public school charter program. On one hand the parents were not referred to as teachers, but "teacher's aides" which would help. BUT the kids are not in a school classroom or being educated on a daily basis by a credentialed teacher, either. At our former school, the teachers proctored the yearly state tests and saw the kids quarterly, and collected samples of the students' work. Sounds just like what the ruling called a "ruse" of enrolling kids into such a program and teaching them at home.

Realistically... though I can see the concern... is the state going to give up all the daily attendance money they are collecting for those public school students that they don't even have to provide a school building for? I don't think it's a cause for real worry in the long run.

I can see why it makes individual families feel a bit vulnerable in the short run, though.

She is stating what Brad Dacus from the Pacific Justice Institute thinks:

"The scope of this decision by the appellate court is breathtaking. It not only attacks traditional home schooling, but also calls into question home schooling through charter schools and teaching children at home via independent study through public and private schools," stated Brad Dacus, president of the Pacific Justice Institute "If not reversed, the parents of the more than 166,000 students currently receiving an education at home will be subject to criminal sanctions," he continued."

Link here.

Well, I don't think he's correct. Pretty brassy of me to disagree with so learned a man, lol, but I still don't think he's correct.

I will continue to homeschool no matter what the courts decide. I haven't filed a R-4 for the past five years and not sure I will do it next year either. CA has enough problems in their schools. They will not tell me how to educate my dd. Have a great homeschooling day.