Menu

What would be a *reasonable* amount of time to spend on these boards daily?

I lecture my dd about self-discipline and limits. Think maybe I need to start applying them to myself here! :o Anyone care to submit some guidelines for me to follow??? :D I *really* need to spend more time every day cleaning and sorting through our pile of clutter......

We have a rule that the kids cannot play video games or computer (unless it is approved educational sites/games) until all school work is done.

I am trying to follow this guideline myself. I do ok if I do not turn my computer on in the morning, but that is difficult as I do an online yoga class and I try to complete that before noon. Once my computer is on, I struggle with not checking the boards once in a while.

I need to work on this because I have so many things that need to be done around the house.

Sorry, I know I am not much help as I am in the same boat. :o

so I"m not much help it the "how much is too much" category. I can't compare it to disciplining my dc re: video games, tv, etc. This is my OUTLET! It is my SANITY! It is my ADULT CONVERSATION! Should I limit my time during the day? Probably. At night? Definitely. Dh gets very upset when I'm on the boards at night. He is one to get extremely jealous. So, I'm trying to take the break at night. Dh also doesn't get that I'm on the computer for more than just "board talk". I plan lessons, type out curriculum plans, print worksheets pertaining to lessons, etc. He was a classroom teacher for years, but never had to do his planning at home b/c he had "planning periods". I don't have "planning periods'! Anyway, I digress. Could you try setting a time when you can be ON and stick to that? Another thing is that sometimes I'm looking for an answer to a question I posted and need that answer like NOW, LOL! Good luck...but really I wouldn't consider it a disc. think quite like that of your dc.

LOL... well here is my excuse. I sit at the school table for the entire duration of our school day. I stay here until the last child is done with her studies for the day. If I am not right here, the school day drags on way too long. And I am always right here if they need any help or clarification. My youngest isn't working very independently yet anyway. (Although she also has the shortest school day!) Very rarely am I able to get household stuff done while the kids are working on their lessons. Maybe sometimes I can do something quick like starting a load of laundry or folding socks. :p

I have to have something to do on those occasions when they are working on their lessons independently. ;)

We have our laptops and a wireless connection to the internet here at the school table. It's great for the kids too; they can log into their Cosmeo accounts and watch a video on some topic they've just studied.

...and I get to cruise the boards!

On school days that I teach, I pop in and out for a few minutes every couple hours at least. On weekends or evenings when I have free time, if dh is doing something I'm not interested in then this may be my choice for entertainment. But this is also my brain break when I'm in my office at work (2-3 days a week)--the one window that is in the background when I sit at my computer. I absolutely must multi-task. When the board switched, I tried for a few weeks not posting, but discovered I was simply spending time reading news sites and blogs instead. At least here I get some interaction with real human beings rather than just consume pre-digested information.

When I am into a great book, I check here about once daily. When we are really into a school project I love or takes lots of time, I am here less. Other times, I tend to visit more often to see what others are discussing.

Other times, when I am trying to pull the year together, I find myself at the curr. board more often. And, there are times I get a hot cup of tea and settle down in front of my IMAC and visit with my fellow home schoolers here.

I can say, when I want advice, I come here. You guys are great!!

because for me, I pop in and out all day while the kids are working on their school. I end up being here a lot, but I don't feel like I am neglecting anything when I am here. On the weekends I try and make sure the things I need to get done are done. I know I spend a lot of time here, but I also don't feel like there are other things I SHOULD be doing instead. I read a ton, my house is clean, my meals are prepared. :-)

I set up an amount of time for cleaning/decluttering a day. I have morning and evening routines for tidying. I also set a time to switch off my computer in the evening (9pm unless there's real business to do).

My time here is the equivalent of the teacher's lounge that my teachers used to escape into. I don't feel bad about it.

Laura

that any more than two or three posts a day on a board meant that either (a) I was too involved, (b) I wasn't saying much worth reading, or (b) I was probably up to no good... that is, involved in an online battle of wits.

I hold this advice for myself, and I find it generally to be true for me.

Have you seen this? :D

duty_calls.png