Menu

More...regarding my search for piano method books...

I went to the music store today to look at all the piano instruction books...and, the one thing I didn't like about Bastien, Faber, and Alfred is that they teach a numbering system for the hands instead of the notes. At least...that's what it looked like to me. I'm not fond of that. I learned the notes! Smiles!

The pianist at our church asked her mom what she uses when teaching...and, she said she usually uses what the parent has bought. However, she used to teach all her students using David Glover. Has anyone every used that? I looked at it and it's "old fashioned"...but, that doesn't bother me in the least.

I was brought up using Thompson's...but, that doesn't even seem on the radar anymore! Smiles!

Thanks for any more opinions or thoughts!

~Holly

While they do use finger numbers, they definitely teach note reading. IMO Bastien, with its emphasis on positions is the method that most likely leads to a dependence on finger numbers. Faber introduces playing the same note with different fingers and playing all over the keyboard to avoid equating a note with a particular finger.

I started with Thompson also, and it is considered "old school" for many good reasons;)

Lawana

Faber is much better about moving your hands around frequently. You learn the notes a whole lot better than with Bastien who leaves you in the same position and same fingering for months! The other thing I like about Faber is the quality of songs. Most kids seem to find them a lot more fun than Bastien. They have more familiar tunes and real songs than Bastien.

Yup, yup, yup, I totally agree. Faber is GREAT about minimizing positional playing. And, imho, their music is much easier on the ears than Bastien. Most notably in the early "plunky" books. Also, there is nothing inherently wrong with teaching finger numbers. It is something all pianists need to know from day 1, because even in standard classical repetoire, there is often suggested fingering for complicated passages, and you have to be aware of "finger numbers". As Lawana implied, the wrong use of the finger numbering system is to use in in conjunction with such an overwhelmingly positional methodology that the child begins to *always* equate "1" with "thumb" etc.

So I still vote Faber.

Kayleen

You know Holly, there is nothing wrong with the oldies but goodies necessarily, but just be aware of the "positional" issue, for one. Also, make sure that you get *all* the books that work together in the method. Make sure, whatever you choose, to get the theory book, the technique book, etc. These are SO important. I grew up on Thompson, but I did *NOT* learn the theory I should have learned, in a systematic way. I basically was taken through the method books. I could not sightread well either. A little tip on sightreading.....learning to sightread music is eerily similar to learning to read. Kids need lots of fun easy music at or below their level, in addition to their method books. Enticing books. Just laying around tempting them to pick them up and play for fun. THAT is how kids learn to sightread well (plus a good sightreading exercise book to teach them some good skills). OK, stepping off the soapbox now :o)! I have drastically improved (in my old age) in this area because as my son has taken lessons I've enjoyed playing all his easy music (he is probably better than me now...) as it came up, and learning my theory as he learned it. There is nothing like playing through fun easy music for making reading music automatic.

Thanks for clarifying the finger numbering thing. I was under the impression that Faber didn't teach notes right away...but, numbers with the fingers. ??

I guess I was just confused yesterday because I was reading about and looking over so many programs!

Thanks!

~Holly

It sounds like we had the exact same experience in learning to play piano! I was also taught using Thompson and I was not taught good theory...and, I'm a bad sight reader! I'm working on it, though! If I use Faber...maybe I'll improve myself! Ha!!

Smiles!

~Holly

I think the numbering system is just to teach the child that the thumbs are 1, pointer finger is 2, etc. so that later when the positions are complicated, they can understand the fingering positions. All of the books including the early Alfred that we have teach notes after the first few pages. Maybe they've changed that.

Thompson and Schaum. When I was seven years old, I taught myself to play the piano, unassisted by anything other than these two series. (no teacher, in other words) Went on from there to many successful years of instrumental music performance.

I'm using John Thompson with my kiddos! *LOVE* it! Yes, it's Old Fashioned... but solid, and it works!

The Thompson series has numerous supplemental theory books written for children. They're really cute in that old-fashioned Thompson way, and they teach some serious theory.

The books are:

Theory Drill Games, Books 1, 2, and 3

Note Speller

Scale Speller

Chord Speller

Just one more note to add :)

My oldest used Alfred's. I really liked it. I started my son on Alfred's (I can take them through several of the first levels.) However, we weren't as disciplined as we should be and we didn't stick with it. Realizing that he had a significant amount of musical talent, I started him on piano lessons with our minister of music who has a doctorate from Juliard in piano. He suggested that we give him a new start and use Piano Town. He would have been fine with several others as well but this is what he suggested based on knowing my son. While I was reluctant as I really liked Alfred's...my son has really excelled. Probably most of that is the teaching style of our teacher and his true interest in developing our son's musical talent. But my point is that, just like many of the other curriculum's we compare in math, grammar, etc. sometimes there are SEVERAL good methods and we just need to find the one that works best with each child (not to say that some aren't better than others.) And like everything else...if you try it and it doesn't work...change it!