Menu

What is too much LA?

hsmom

I think this is so important, yet maybe I am over doing it. You tell me.

G.U.M. (grammar, usage, and mechanics)

sequential spelling

writing strands

learning language arts through literature

Okay I love G.U.M. by zaner-bloser and so does ds. We also love Sequential spelling, now we will be adding Writing strands to it, and we want to add Learning language arts through literature. Is that too much?

I'd like to do

*CLE LA (need to do placement test to see what level; have been doing GWG grade 2)

*WWE (don't know if we want the workbook or not, need to read the book first!)

*We've been doing narrations of science and history readings

*We've been doing science copywork to cement those facts

*and I'm thinking of also doing CLE Reading because DS is a voracious reader and this will give him a bit more to think about

It just seems like so much, but he needs a challenge. Also, what out of the above would I drop?

Sorry again that I'm not any help. This is a toughie!:tongue_smilie:

Looks fine to me, too.

But then I have scheduled selections from AO Year 1 Lit and Poetry as read alouds; Queen's Memorization Copywork; Penmanship; MCP Phonics C; Wordly Wise; Easy Grammar 3; about half of IEW All Things Fun & Facinating; and some readers.

When we used LLATL, I absolutely loved the program, but I ended up supplementing it out of existence.;)

Mandy

I guess it depends on how you look at it. LLATL is meant to stand alone so, when the assignments overlap in topic (grammar, spelling, writing assignments etc), will you skip them or try and do "double duty?" Maybe you could look through and see where things overlap and decide now where you will cover them. Is it going to drive you crazy when you have to tweak everything? Is it going to drive you crazy to cover something you've already covered? That's why I've never used it for my oldest. I couldn't see spending the money on it when I've got so much of the components covered in other areas.

HTH!

Dorinda

sequential spelling

writing strands

Honestly, I wouldn't do LLATL in addition to the other 3 programs.

I am using the Older Edition LLATL with my dc so I add spelling and writing. With the newer edition, though, I probably wouldn't add writing, and only spelling if I had a bad speller. :)

I

sequential spelling

writing strands

Okay I love G.U.M. by zaner-bloser and so does ds. We also love Sequential spelling

Just wondering, if you love what you're using, why do you want to add LLATL specifically? I haven't used it myself, so correct me if I'm off-base, but isn't it tyring to be an all-in-one LA curriculum?

If I were you and had grammar, spelling, and writing that were working and wanted to add more LA, I'd add just what was missing - if this is for your 11yo, that would be maybe some lit, poetry and/or vocab?

I would think something like LLATL would overlap too much with the other programs while not going into all that much depth in the areas you're missing?

You could just do some type of lit program instead of LLATL. I started off planning to do LLATL and then I wanted to supplement everything that I just decided that I should ditch LLATL and just do all the stuff I was going to supplement with and then pick out a lit/reading program instead.

You could just do some type of lit program instead of LLATL. I started off planning to do LLATL and then I wanted to supplement everything that I just decided that I should ditch LLATL and just do all the stuff I was going to supplement with and then pick out a lit/reading program instead.

That's why I haven't chosen any of the all-in-one language arts programs. But I would like to start a literature program for my 8.5-year-old son. What program did you choose? I'd love to see some recommendations.

I've been impressed with Drawn Into the Heart of Reading but haven't actually seen it (except the samples online, which I like). Are there others like this, or is DITHOR a good way to go if I want to choose our books and not use readers?

I have the other components I want for language and don't want to overlap, but I do want to get more out of the books we read. At this point, I am thinking we'll use DITHOR (or ?) mostly for the readalouds. My son reads almost constantly for pleasure, so I haven't assigned anything to him yet. That will change, but I am looking for a versatile litarature program. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Teonei

Have you considered using copywork, dictation and narration as a foundation and then adding in things? I really preferred for a long while to think of them as my foundation, and then add in programs as needed. I think LLATL might include them though.

What do your kids need? What are their strengths and weaknesses?

I don't like doubling up and busywork unless I am really focusing on a particular area. I have one kid who never handled workbooks well and LLATL didn't work for him, nor GUM, nor any workbook spelling program (and we have yet to try Writing Strands with him- he may now be ready for it). You may find your kids respond differently to the programs and you need to adjust as you go. The benefit of homescholing is adjusting to each child.

If it were me, I would be looking each week to see if there was any doubling up, and crossing off exercises that seemed redundant. It would have been too much writing for my son at those ages, but he is reluctant. I streamlined so as to hit as much as possible with as few programs as possible- using copywork, dictation and narration as a foundation.

It does look a little heavy on LA, but I am not sure it is too much. LLATL is probably light on grammar, as all RB based programs are, so the G.U.M. will stand in for that. Generally RB isn't big on formal spelling programs, just dictation, so if LLATL doesn't have spelling I wouldn't be surprised. You would just be filling another hole. If LLATL does have spelling I would do one or the other and not both. Again for writing I would do one or the other and probably not both, or if I did both I would alternate.

You didn't discuss pace either. Do you plan to do them at a normal pace, or were you going to take longer?

In the end it is ok to be heavy on LA, as long as you are not equally heavy on all topics.

Heather

I'd like to do

*CLE LA (need to do placement test to see what level; have been doing GWG grade 2)

*WWE (don't know if we want the workbook or not, need to read the book first!)

*We've been doing narrations of science and history readings

*We've been doing science copywork to cement those facts

*and I'm thinking of also doing CLE Reading because DS is a voracious reader and this will give him a bit more to think about

It just seems like so much, but he needs a challenge. Also, what out of the above would I drop?

Sorry again that I'm not any help. This is a toughie!:tongue_smilie:

Looks good to me. I am not familiar with CLE, so if it has a writing component you might want to drop that in favor of WWE/Narration.

Heather

LLATL is a gentle stand alone which is why we are using it this year and since DD enjoys FLL she is going to do the last level 4. I also have DITHOR but don't use itall the time. Spelling for us is just a notebook. I am not doing all this everyday. I am doing LLATL 5 days and alternate days with FLL4 DITHOR.

I think the key is in how you schedule the programs you want to use. My kids use both LLATL and Abeka Language, as well as copywork, dictation, narration. I love both LLATL and the Abeka Language, but for different reasons because of the totally different ways in which the concepts are approached - I feel it gives a good balance and applies the same thing in different ways.

But.... we don't do everything every day. The LLATL and Abeka alternate days. My 1st, 3rd and 5th graders use copywork as handwriting practice, but also do copywork/dictation and narration (ala WWE style) in content areas in their journals. My older two also do two compositions a week on top of their other LA, and a vocab program. It works out well, and is a good balance when alternated - well, it works for us anyway. :)

That's why I haven't chosen any of the all-in-one language arts programs. But I would like to start a literature program for my 8.5-year-old son. What program did you choose? I'd love to see some recommendations.

I've been impressed with Drawn Into the Heart of Reading but haven't actually seen it (except the samples online, which I like). Are there others like this, or is DITHOR a good way to go if I want to choose our books and not use readers?

I have the other components I want for language and don't want to overlap, but I do want to get more out of the books we read. At this point, I am thinking we'll use DITHOR (or ?) mostly for the readalouds. My son reads almost constantly for pleasure, so I haven't assigned anything to him yet. That will change, but I am looking for a versatile litarature program. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Teonei

Well my son is still little and so we stopped LLATL blue and are Doing Mcruffy and FLL instead. But I plan way far ahead for what to do and I had planned on LLATL all the way through and I ended up supplementing so much in my plan that I ditched LLATL. Now my new plan for literature is to use Logos schools Beginning Literature books. There are actually 2 books, I just linked you to the first though.

http://rainbowresource.com/product/Beginning+Literature%3A+Book+One/015916/1244436587-1530078

I also want to use their upper grammar books as well

http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1244436587-1530078&subject=6&category=1380

I am going to use Inside Stories as well

http://rainbowresource.com/search.php?sid=1244436587-1530078

All that should fill in the literature component until we get to the appropriate grade for Lightning Literature. HTH!

Well my son is still little and so we stopped LLATL blue and are Doing Mcruffy and FLL instead. But I plan way far ahead for what to do and I had planned on LLATL all the way through and I ended up supplementing so much in my plan that I ditched LLATL. Now my new plan for literature is to use Logos schools Beginning Literature books. There are actually 2 books, I just linked you to the first though.

http://rainbowresource.com/product/Beginning+Literature%3A+Book+One/015916/1244436587-1530078

http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1244436587-1530078&subject=6&category=1380

All that should fill in the literature component until we get to the appropriate grade for Lightning Literature. HTH!

Good to know! I am glad that I follow you around. :lol:

Thank you! I will check these out.

Teonei