Menu

Hope I'm not beating this to death: homemade laundry deter..

I tried the "recipe" with the Fels-Naptha ingredient and the borax and baking soda and it completely bombed. Clothes came out dingy and looked almost the same as before being washed. I followed the instructions to the letter. Did your clothes come out like that too? How did you fix it? It sure would be nice to finally stop paying so much for Tide!!

Blessings,

Libby in Texas :)

Hey there. I started using ivory soap instead of the felz naptha. I think it works so much better. It helps my kids sensitive skin as well. I also use 1/2 a bar instead of 1/4. That works well for me. I just add a little more hot water, probably 4 cups or so to prevent it from over-setting.

HTH

We've used the homemade laundry detergent for a couple of years. I thought the detergent did an adequate job given the fact that we have very hard well water. However, while we were vacationing at my mom's last week, she laundered our clothes in city water and name brand detergent. The difference was amazing - our clothes looked so much brighter and cleaner!

Though I can't do anything about our hard water issues right now, I'm thinking about store bought detergent to my homemade mix. Our local Hispanic markets carry several powdered varieties that work well, are fairly inexpensive, and smell wonderful

I've been making my own for about 4 months now, and I really like it. I am still tweaking. I started with Ivory and it got out everything. The drawback was that my whites looked yellowish. Switched to Fels Naptha, whites looked good, some stains didn't come out as well and it smelled pretty strong. Currently have castille soap. Works about the same as the Fels Naptha without the smell. I'm going to try a combo of Ivory and Fels Naptha in my next batch and add some oxyclean as well.

I use the powdered version, and we have a water softener. I understand that hard water really changes the effect.

One other thing I do is use vinegar as my fabric softener. It helps remove any soap residue.

HTH!

I think it depends a lot on your water. Do you have well water, or city water? City water has lots of chlorine, which helps get clothes cleaner, I think. My folks have a hard time with their well water, because it has a lot of iron and tannin in it, without using homemade detergent. I had good success with the homemade stuff when I had a top loader. I haven't gotten around to making the liquid kind for my front-loader yet.

I use the Fels Naptha recipe and I noticed the whites are not as bright (gosh, I sound like a commercial) as I'd like.

We don't have many white clothes though, and I doubt anyone notices but me.

Sometimes I buy a bottle of Arm & Hammer detergent, but I don't notice a big difference.

I do use a spray-on stain remover, though. The homemade laundry soap does not work for stains, at least on the type my kids have on their clothes. I spray all spots just to be on the safe side, including those that may be oil-based.

Ha ha ha I meant to say washing soda not baking soda. So funny! I can just imagine what some of you were thinking!!!

I have fluoridated city water.

Rose, if you like your "recipe" would you mind sharing it? Do you also have city water?

Thanks everyone!!

Blessings,

I tried the "recipe" with the Fels-Naptha ingredient and the borax and baking soda and it completely bombed. Clothes came out dingy and looked almost the same as before being washed. I followed the instructions to the letter. Did your clothes come out like that too? How did you fix it? It sure would be nice to finally stop paying so much for Tide!!

Blessings,

Did you use baking soda or washing soda? The recipe I have used for almost 2 years and love used Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. This is different than baking soda, and can be found with the laundry soaps in most grocery stores.

Ha ha ha I meant to say washing soda not baking soda. So funny! I can just imagine what some of you were thinking!!!

I have fluoridated city water.

Rose, if you like your "recipe" would you mind sharing it? Do you also have city water?

Thanks everyone!!

Blessings,

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

By the sounds of it I'm using the same recipe you use. And yes, I'm on city water.

You guys have me thinking though. Maybe my clothes aren't as clean as I think they are. :) I'm not getting any funny stares though so probably we're okay.

if you have a problem with yellowing whites you'll want to add some bluing to the second rinse cycle. Mix 1/8 tsp laundry bluing into 2 qts cold water. Add this mixture to the second rinse cycle Dont use fabric softener or vinegar in this bluing rinse.

for hard water you may want to add citric acid to your recipe.

The oxy/oxi products have sodium percarbonate in them (washing soda/hydrogen perixode) which helps in getting your clothes clean, so adding some oxyclean or oxypower added to your mix may help.

I just made my first batch this week and washed my first load with it today. It turned out great. Smelled and looked clean, no problems. What recipe are you using? I used the one from the Duggar's web site.

http://www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html

It gives other soaps you can use as well, if you don't like the Fels-Naptha.

I just made up a batch with the Duggar recipe too. My house smelled like lovely soap the rest of the day. I haven't used it yet, but I can't wait. I hope it works, because it was so cheap and it made a TON! My grand total outlay, including the bucket for the first batch, was under $10, and that's 5 gallons of soap (if I use it according to the recipe, it'll be about 180 loads). My next batch will be even cheaper because I'll only need to buy a bar of Fels-Naptha at about $1.29. :001_huh:

I tried the "recipe" with the Fels-Naptha ingredient and the borax and baking soda and it completely bombed. Clothes came out dingy and looked almost the same as before being washed. I followed the instructions to the letter. Did your clothes come out like that too? How did you fix it? It sure would be nice to finally stop paying so much for Tide

Isn't that washing soda, not baking soda? That's why it bombed.

• 4 months later...

It has to be washing soda, not baking soda.

I've been using the Duggar's recipe for laundry soap and I really like it! Even on things like wet (urine) sheets the smell is completely gone and everything smells fresh.

The one thing I have noticed is that our socks don't come out as clean looking. Maybe I should add a little extra soap when I wash those?

It will depend on your water. I make the liquid and have been on a well in my last two houses. In MI we had great soft water and I used about 1/2 cup. Here in FL even with a softener system, our water is REALLY hard and I have to use more than a cup. Try using more and see if that helps. Some people have found it just doesn't work with their water. Good luck

Melissa

Thanks for posting this. I used to make laundry soap back when my first son was born and this thread inspired me to start again. Now just have to find the ingredients, my grocery store stopped carrying Fels Naptha and washing soda. I've been using Charlie's powdered soap and it's great but cheaper would be even better.

I also just saw the fabric softener recipe (#2) on the Duggar site (http://www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html); has anyone tried it? I love the smell of Bounce dryer sheets but it seems like such a waste of money since we really don't need to use them. Not sure if I should try the fabric softener or add essential oil to the laundry soap to get a yummy smell... any suggestions?

I tried the "recipe" with the Fels-Naptha ingredient and the borax and baking soda and it completely bombed. Clothes came out dingy and looked almost the same as before being washed. I followed the instructions to the letter. Did your clothes come out like that too? How did you fix it? It sure would be nice to finally stop paying so much for Tide

Isn't that washing soda, not baking soda? That's why it bombed.

If you don't want to throw out the batch, maybe try putting in a little Oxyclean and see if that helps. HTH!

The difference was amazing - our clothes looked so much brighter and cleaner!

That's because the supermarket brands have optical brighteners in them, and all kinds of specchul tricks to make you think their product is far superior.

Also, if you're using these homemade (we do) detergents to be green, then you won't want to use Oxyclean, it has small amounts of bleach in it.

Blessings,

You can add 1 cup of your perferred brand of commercial laundry soap to it and that should help.

I make that recipe all the time and while I havent had the same problems I like to have the scent of the commercial brands and so I add about a cup to each batch.