Menu

I need some help understanding something (CC)

and I hope I'm not going to sound harsh asking this, but I truly do not understand it.

We went to a church this morning to visit. My son had attended their youth camp last week with a friend and they were having a sermon for the youth.

I'm not really sure how to describe the type of church. It's called, "Community Christian." There was praise and worship for about 45 minutes. I don't know if it was full gospel, charismatic, or what. I don't really know the main differences.

Anyway, every time there would be prayer, or even soft singing, people would be mumbling and whispering things. It's something that isn't done in our church and I found it to be quite distracting, especially during prayers.

What is this about? Can someone explain it to me?

I assume they were praying in tongues. Quite a few charismatic congregations are comfortable with this as part of their worship, and consider it a prayer language. I think it's one of those things that seems strange when you're not accustomed to it, but if you've been in a congregation that has always done it that way, it's not so distracting.

Lori

I've been to churches where this is done.

They are usually agreeing or adding to the prayer.

It was a bit disconcerting to me at first because I was raised in a denominational church where everyone prayed the same thing, sat down at the same time, knelt at the same time, etc.

I quickly grew used to it and I don't even notice it anymore.

We do this in our church. It was odd at first but I LOVE it now. Mostly it is in agreement and praying along. "yes Jesus", "please Jesus", "Thank you Lord", "We Praise you", etc. etc.

This practice made prayer more meaningful for our family and in return brought us closer to God. :D

We do this in our church. It was odd at first but I LOVE it now. Mostly it is in agreement and praying along. "yes Jesus", "please Jesus", "Thank you Lord", "We Praise you", etc. etc.

My husband's family and their church does this. Not only during prayer, but also during preaching/ teaching. I attended a Sunday school class at my IL's church years ago and I kid you not, I could not make out what the teacher was saying because of all the verbalizing by the people in the class. I can't stand it......But that's just because I was raised in a different atmosphere where the sermon and Sunday school are more like a lesson that you pay attention to, follow along, point by point, and maybe even take notes on. At my IL's church the sermon itself is almost like a song, where everyone participates and you aren't neccessarily trying to get every word into your brain.....I think....

It's just what you are used to, I guess. Everybody is comfortable with different styles. DH and I just make sure we attend a church where only one person talks at a time because that's what's comfortable for us! :D

Edited by katemary63

I encountered this "mmm" "praise Jesus" "amen" response quite often when living in the South. And that wasn't even at a church - it was just in normal interaction.

It's just a cultural thing, IMO.

a

And I thought all Catholics were weird for years after that! It turned out to be a charismatic church where you do pipe up with words and praises out loud. I have never been to another church like that but I've heard they exist in all denominations.

One local community group I do activities with MANY of the people do this. In fact my small group...I am the only one not saying "amen" or "yes Lord" as the person is praying. I too find it distracting but apparently many speak out loud during prayer...affirming what is being said. I figure if the old men can say Amen during a sermon, then people saying Amen during a prayer is ok too.

But I agree with you, it's distracting!

As the others have said, it is simply prayer. It's a cultural thing.

I grew up in quiet white evangelical churches. Speaking or murmuring during prayer in those settings would have been considered distracting at the least, and downright disrespectful to most.

I encountered the phenomenon first in a charismatic church, and then in an African-American church. It took getting used to, but I actually find it encouraging, empowering, and I like it a great deal. It gives me a sense of agreeing together, of solidarity, and I find the encouragement gives me courage to speak out and to be vulnerable.

Yes, our church does this. Having come from a church where (at that time) this would never have happened, I found it very free-ing (and I am a mostly quiet worshipper/pray-er when in public!). It is also a way of agreeing, being in one accord; also drawing closer to God through prayer.

Our Sunday School teacher commented a couple weeks ago that when we are in church, we are not there for each other (to impress or whatever), but rather for God and to worship Him, and learn of Him, so when we are singing, it doesn't matter what our voice sounds like because it is unto HIM, and when we are praying, it is unto HIM, and we need to be *closed in* with Him during prayer and worship. All that to say that others agreeing verbally with the prayer (or even praying their own prayer which also happens sometimes in our church) isn't distracting when each's focus is on God and not the congregation. (Please read this in a nice tone of voice - the way it is intended!):)

Yes, our church does this. Having come from a church where (at that time) this would never have happened, I found it very free-ing (and I am a mostly quiet worshipper/pray-er when in public!). It is also a way of agreeing, being in one accord; also drawing closer to God through prayer.

Our Sunday School teacher commented a couple weeks ago that when we are in church, we are not there for each other (to impress or whatever), but rather for God and to worship Him, and learn of Him, so when we are singing, it doesn't matter what our voice sounds like because it is unto HIM, and when we are praying, it is unto HIM, and we need to be *closed in* with Him during prayer and worship. All that to say that others agreeing verbally with the prayer (or even praying their own prayer which also happens sometimes in our church) isn't distracting when each's focus is on God and not the congregation. (Please read this in a nice tone of voice - the way it is intended!):)

:iagree:

Most of the churches I've been to are this way. I agree with your Sunday school teacher in theory. However, when you have ADD-tendencies (I can't get a diagnosis due to $), it just doesn't work. I CAN'T focus on God when things are distracting me. But then again, I'm so easily distracted that I have a hard time with people clapping too loud or off beat, people bouncing/dancing, or someone singing too loudly or off key. What helped me the most was learning to sign because having both my ears and my hands occupied took enough of my attention that I wasn't getting as distracted as easily.

make out normal words. I mean they were whispering, but I could hear them say, "Jesus," and other words. I just wonder why people would do this while a pastor was praying.

They may have been saying, "Yes, Jesus," or something to that affect. This often occurs in Full Gospel churches, as well, It's simply them being comfortable with their faith and agreeing with the prayer.

Definitely different if you're not used to it but nothing wrong with it.

Most of the churches I've been to are this way. I agree with your Sunday school teacher in theory. However, when you have ADD-tendencies (I can't get a diagnosis due to $), it just doesn't work. I CAN'T focus on God when things are distracting me. But then again, I'm so easily distracted that I have a hard time with people clapping too loud or off beat, people bouncing/dancing, or someone singing too loudly or off key. What helped me the most was learning to sign because having both my ears and my hands occupied took enough of my attention that I wasn't getting as distracted as easily.

That just proves how different everyone is. I am diagnosed severe ADHD, and I do better in a church environment with more noise than quiet. If it is too quiet my mind wanders off the point. I can't be too noisy though. Now, when it comes to MY eduction I need it SILENT or piano music now. When I was a teenager, I had to lsiten to music in order to study.

I agree with what the next poster said in response - about how different we all are! And being human, I'm not sure any of us aren't distracted from time to time by something!

I think that is great that you sign! Years ago we attended a church that had quite a number of deaf attendees and one of the hearing ladies signed the entire service for them. Fairly often, the minister would invite her to come up and sign a song or two for the whole congregation. It was lovely! Where we now attend, our pastor's wife is hard-of-hearing and knows sign language. I've noticed on occasion (clearly NOT focused where I SHOULD be focused!!!) that she will sometimes sign as she sings - it is so graceful and just lovely!

I have to admit that it was new to me - not the first time ever, but it was just enough that it made me want to ask the reason.

I guess to some degree I wasn't really focusing like I should've been. There were so many differences to me in that service and the type I usually attend that I was really unable to concentrate. I'm a sit-down-and-listen-to-a-good-sermon type of gal. I wouldn't really say I like to participate in all the extended praise music and stuff, so I was probably already a bit distracted by the time that was over. I guess this just added to it.

I've really been curious about it since the first time I experienced it, but I guess it wasn't ever in the forefront so I haven't asked. I appreciate knowing so that if I experience it again, maybe I won't be concentrating on it as much, and can concentrate on my own prayer and worship!

Thanks!

Stacey,

Just wanted to say that I think it is generally a good idea to question that which is new or unfamiliar, especially when it comes to the things of God - because none of us want to be misled! And God is more than able to answer our concerns through whatever means He chooses!

Thanks for posting your original question!