Menu

Le Morte D'Arthur, or The Once and Future King? (X-posted)

for a rising 11th grader to read as part of our medieval history\literature study. I've not read either myself. This summer I'll preread whichever one I choose. Judging from the reviews on Amazon.com (that great source of fine literary criticism LOL) the vast majority of readers choose The Once and Future King. But, that doesn't speak to it's literary merit necessariy. So I'm coming to the hive for opinions.

The Once and Future King is wonderful; it reads like a novel and is very engaging. As far as high school level lit., I don't know. I think of it more as "fun reading", if ykwim. I don't have a high schooler, but just remembering when I read it on my own.

I think that Malory's book is on TWTM Great Books list for high school, isn't it? I actually have it on my nightstand right now (library copy), trying to catch up on some of the books on the rhetoric list, for myself.

I'm deciding whether to have him read it, or perhaps, parts of it, or The Once and Future King. The consensus seems clearly for the latter. I'm thinking of having him read it, and then a few parts of Le Morte, to get the flavor of it. Thank you for the opinions everyone!

I read Le Morte D'Arthur in high school and I loved it, that's what I'd choose. The Once and Future King is on the recommended list for logic stage - so if you want a choice for academic reasons - I'd go with Le Morte D'Arthur - its so much more than just the King Arthur story.

The Once and Future King is a novel. I think there was some s#x in it (ah that Lancelot).

I think it depends on what you want to accomplish. Just familiarity with some of the Arthur legend or want to something literary. There are many modern retelling of Arthur. Mallory is just an older retelling of the stories, but you'll study Mallory in college and not the Once and Future King.

The Once and Future King is a novel. I think there was some s#x in it (ah that Lancelot).

I think it depends on what you want to accomplish. Just familiarity with some of the Arthur legend or want to something literary. There are many modern retelling of Arthur. Mallory is just an older retelling of the stories, but you'll study Mallory in college and not the Once and Future King.

While I agree that The Once and Future King is an easier book, one may still study both in college. I took an Arthurian Literature class, and we read from some of the Welsh triads; Chretien de Troyes; Malory (in middle English - blech! Find a modern translation for your high schooler!); Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parzival; various works by Alfred, Lord Tennyson; and T.H. White's The Once and Future King. The final project was to read yet another modern version and analyze the content in light of the earlier works.

I read Le Morte D'Arthur in high school and I loved it, that's what I'd choose. The Once and Future King is on the recommended list for logic stage - so if you want a choice for academic reasons - I'd go with Le Morte D'Arthur - its so much more than just the King Arthur story.

:iagree:wholeheartedly. I loved Le Morte.