Menu

Good wholesome chapter books for about 1/2 grade level?

j_thurm

I'm not sure what the actual reading levels of the My Father's Dragon books are, but they are short chapter books that I would imagine a 6-8 year old would find enjoyable. I read them to my girls (ages 3 and 4 at the time), and they enjoyed them immensely. You can read my reviews of them here and here on my blog. (I review many of our read-alouds on my blog.)

Princess Ellie, the Pony Crazed Princess series

Keeker and the Sneaky Pony series

The Littles series

Meg Mackintosh mysteries series

The Cobble Street Cousins series

American Girl series

Boxcar Children series

Not really chapter books, but still on the same reading level and historical:

Young Princesses Around the World Series

Now, if anyone has any suggestions for more difficult chapter books than those above, I'm all ears.:bigear: My dd is not quite ready for Misty of Chincoteague, but has read all of the above. I'm pulling my hair out trying to find something "in between". She's reading "Fairy Realm" right now, but I'd like to find something of better quality right than that. :)

Thanks! I just checked them out. Do your kids find it strange/difficult to read stories about other kids going to school and they, themselves, are homeschooled?

A friend told me about the Carolyn Haywood books. You'll love them! They're old and sweet!

Do your kids find it strange/difficult to read stories about other kids going to school and they, themselves, are homeschooled?

No. My kids know that most other kids go to school. The Carolyn Haywood Betsy books were my favorites as a kid and are among my daughter's favorites, too.

You might also try the Catwings books by Ursula LeGuin.

Tara

Thanks, Tara. I love all these suggestions!!!

No. My kids know that most other kids go to school. The Carolyn Haywood Betsy books were my favorites as a kid and are among my daughter's favorites, too.

You might also try the Catwings books by Ursula LeGuin.

Tara

Many thanks for these - i have horse books coming for DD. PERFECT!!!

Princess Ellie, the Pony Crazed Princess series

Keeker and the Sneaky Pony series

The Littles series

Meg Mackintosh mysteries series

The Cobble Street Cousins series

American Girl series

Boxcar Children series

Not really chapter books, but still on the same reading level and historical:

Young Princesses Around the World Series

Now, if anyone has any suggestions for more difficult chapter books than those above, I'm all ears.:bigear: My dd is not quite ready for Misty of Chincoteague, but has read all of the above. I'm pulling my hair out trying to find something "in between". She's reading "Fairy Realm" right now, but I'd like to find something of better quality right than that. :)

Thanks! I just checked them out. Do your kids find it strange/difficult to read stories about other kids going to school and they, themselves, are homeschooled?

Actually, my daughter does. I read several Ramona books aloud to my dd7 last fall because I remembered how my *I* loved them. She was totally not into them at all, and I think a decent amount of that was because she just did not get the concept of classroom culture at all. She knows that most kids go to school, but really has no good idea of what goes on there even though she has school going friends and cousins. She's also not very interested in the whole traditional school experience. I know there are homeschooled kids who love the Ramona books as much as I did, but my dd is not one of them. Her cousins love the Junie B. Jones series, but I glanced at them and felt they wouldn't be a good fit for my dd for the same reason. It's just not her reality and she can't relate to it in the way the author clearly intended the target audience to relate to the heroine.

Thanks for your opinion/experience. That was kind of what I was thinking. I am enjoying all the ideas though!! Thanks!!

Actually, my daughter does. I read several Ramona books aloud to my dd7 last fall because I remembered how my *I* loved them. She was totally not into them at all, and I think a decent amount of that was because she just did not get the concept of classroom culture at all. She knows that most kids go to school, but really has no good idea of what goes on there even though she has school going friends and cousins. She's also not very interested in the whole traditional school experience. I know there are homeschooled kids who love the Ramona books as much as I did, but my dd is not one of them. Her cousins love the Junie B. Jones series, but I glanced at them and felt they wouldn't be a good fit for my dd for the same reason. It's just not her reality and she can't relate to it in the way the author clearly intended the target audience to relate to the heroine.

More ideas :) Thanks so much!!

I agree with those listed above me and will add

The amelia badeila series of books -

Henry and Mudge series

Francis series

frog and toad series

My daughter loves them all and I hear her chuckling at night when reading them.

Along with the Henry and Mudge series the author has a few other series (Cynthia Rylant) at the same reading level:

- Annie and Snowball (cousin of Henry and very girly)

- Poppleton (hilarious)

- Mr. Putter and Tabby (I actually laughed until I cried with some of these...)

If you look on http://www.heartofdakota.com and look for the emerging reader books, you'll see lots of great examples for independent books on this level.

If you look through all the guides and Drawn Into the Heart of Reading, you'll be able to see the book packages and see great examples for read-alouds and independent readers for several levels. They are all carefully chosen so you have no need to preread. We love them all!

I don't think this was mentioned yet, so I'll mention the Sonlight catalog. "Readers 2 is easy chapter books "for those who are reading long-vowel 5-6 letter words..." The next level is Readers 2 Intermediate, then comes Readers 2 Advanced. There are also Schedules & Study Guides if you wish to buy those. They also have a Language Arts package, which uses the reader books for grammar lessons, if you wish to integrate those. I just used the catalog and my library when my daughter was entering the chapter book stage. I was very happy with the quality of the books, and my daughter had a great start to a love for reading. She and I both loved all these books.

Oooh! I just looked at the Annie and Snowball series on Amazon and they look great!!! I think my DD would love those!!!

Along with the Henry and Mudge series the author has a few other series (Cynthia Rylant) at the same reading level:

- Annie and Snowball (cousin of Henry and very girly)

- Poppleton (hilarious)

- Mr. Putter and Tabby (I actually laughed until I cried with some of these...)

Great idea!! If you happen to have a link to the emerging reader books I would love it as I can't seem to find those on the site??? Thanks for your help!

If you look on www.heartofdakota.com and look for the emerging reader books, you'll see lots of great examples for independent books on this level.

If you look through all the guides and Drawn Into the Heart of Reading, you'll be able to see the book packages and see great examples for read-alouds and independent readers for several levels. They are all carefully chosen so you have no need to preread. We love them all!

PERFECT, suggestion!! Thanks!! What a great idea!! I just requested a catalog. When your daughter was was reading the level 2 did you order the LA package? And if so, what grade level did you order? Thanks!

I don't think this was mentioned yet, so I'll mention the Sonlight catalog. "Readers 2 is easy chapter books "for those who are reading long-vowel 5-6 letter words..." The next level is Readers 2 Intermediate, then comes Readers 2 Advanced. There are also Schedules & Study Guides if you wish to buy those. They also have a Language Arts package, which uses the reader books for grammar lessons, if you wish to integrate those. I just used the catalog and my library when my daughter was entering the chapter book stage. I was very happy with the quality of the books, and my daughter had a great start to a love for reading. She and I both loved all these books.

PERFECT, suggestion!! Thanks!! What a great idea!! I just requested a catalog. When your daughter was was reading the level 2 did you order the LA package? And if so, what grade level did you order? Thanks!

I just looked back to see what we did that year, and it was Reader 2 Advanced with the Language Arts package. But that was her 3rd grade year. If we had done this for 2nd grade, I would have started out with Readers 2, and tried to advance her through the Readers 2 and the Readers 2 Intermediate for 2nd grade. I think the LA program is good, but we never did it again after 3rd grade. It wasn't rigorous enough for me for 4th grade. However, we did use it for 1st & 3rd grade and I think the lessons are good for those ages. I stepped it up quite a bit in 4th grade and went into Rod & Staff English, now we're using K12, which is very rigorous.

I think we used Pathway Readers or Christian Liberty Press for 2nd grade. I wasn't happy with either of those company's products. The stories don't seem real or interesting, they're really goody goody. I liked Sonlight much better for content and interest. Sonlight helped my daughter to become a lover of reading and literature. We also used Ambleside Online in 4th grade for literature selections. My daughter loved the literature from that program as well, but that's for 4th grade...sorry too much information. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks so much for your response! Being new, I really appreciate responses like this because it just helps me to see a bigger picture of where I might go with the language arts. Thanks again!

I just looked back to see what we did that year, and it was Reader 2 Advanced with the Language Arts package. But that was her 3rd grade year. If we had done this for 2nd grade, I would have started out with Readers 2, and tried to advance her through the Readers 2 and the Readers 2 Intermediate for 2nd grade. I think the LA program is good, but we never did it again after 3rd grade. It wasn't rigorous enough for me for 4th grade. However, we did use it for 1st & 3rd grade and I think the lessons are good for those ages. I stepped it up quite a bit in 4th grade and went into Rod & Staff English, now we're using K12, which is very rigorous.

I think we used Pathway Readers or Christian Liberty Press for 2nd grade. I wasn't happy with either of those company's products. The stories don't seem real or interesting, they're really goody goody. I liked Sonlight much better for content and interest. Sonlight helped my daughter to become a lover of reading and literature. We also used Ambleside Online in 4th grade for literature selections. My daughter loved the literature from that program as well, but that's for 4th grade...sorry too much information. :tongue_smilie: