Menu

Singapore math confusion....

blessedx5

OK ladies....we are book 4a and I am beginning to wonder if I need to "teach" more than the textbook shows? I have not been using the HIG but maybe I should???

It just seems something is "missing" in the textbook in order to complete the work...10yo ds is getting frustrated and confused.

Any advice?

Debbie

We are using 4a and I don't have the instructor's guide. I do, on occasion explain a little on my own, but other than that my son is doing fine. I use manipulatives if necessary, like base ten blocks, counters, etc. I am, however, planning to start ordering the instructor's guide with 4B and later.

Is there a specific skill he has an issue with or has it been the whole book?

Jennifer

Right now he is working on lesson 18/fractions. It's adding fractions with unlike denominators. He does fine using fraction bars but as far as trying to visualize on his own:confused: Of course the way I learned it is not the way it is taught in the book. The lesson before that was on fractions and he had to write in simplest form...again :confused:

It's like he can read the textbook but still isn't sure how to do it..

Maybe Singapore isn't for him? We have used Singapore all along and he has done ok...but now it just isn't sinking in and honestly it confuses me at times. Maybe our brains aren't wired to understand Singapore methodology?

Deb

I am also supplementing specifically dealing with fractions because I felt like that concept was kind of sped through. Although my son did understand it, I felt like it was not covered long enough. He has been exposed to fractions via Math Olympiad with our co-op so he has had an introduction to them outside of Singapore Math. We are using Key to Fractions right now before moving on to the geometry lessons at the end of the book. There are four books--kind of overkill but very thorough!

Jennifer

It is the textbook that we don't use most of the time. They really aren't textbooks in the traditional sense of the word, as far as I can see. They don't really teach anything, just demonstrate. It is the TG or HIG that explain how to teach the concept.

I am slowly coming to this realization about the textbooks also.

I recently received the materials for the Standards Edition 1A and 1B. I was very impressed with the HiGs.

I'd considered not ordering them after reading many times they weren't "necessary", and I'm very glad that I did. The HiG for this level really rounds out the program. I would not have known what I was missing if I didn't have them (we could have "solved" the problems without them) but a serous component would have been missing.

From what I understand the "Standards Edition" HiG are a substantial improvement over the US Edition HiGs. If memory serves the HiGs are not yet out for level 5 & 6.

Bill

I am slowly coming to this realization about the textbooks also.

Interesting. I postulated this in another thread about Singapore (I wondered what would happen if I only bought the HIG and not the texts, for example) and was met with horrified stares, as far as I could tell.

That being said, I keep finding people willing to sell used Singapore texts for cheap, so I've now got almost all of them. Not the same case for the HIGs.

But - back to the original post - I do think if you're having trouble explaining the topic, you should work on an approach for explaining, and maybe the HIGs would help. Do this before switching programs. The teachers in Singapore have more in their bags of tricks than merely the textbook, so you should too.

Edited by stripe

Interesting. I postulated this in another thread about Singapore (I wondered what would happen if I only bought the HIG and not the texts, for example) and was met with horrified stares, as far as I could tell.

Not a horrified stare in my case. I think, since you and I are on somewhat similar paths, and trying to read as much as possible on elementary math education methods, that you would both derive value from the HiGs and have a fair number of "I thought of that on my own" moments. I saw ideas in the 1A HiG that I thought were my own "stroke of genius" (well maybe not "genus" but at least worthy ideas :D).

The only "horror" in not getting the textbooks/workbooks is that the number of (wo)man-hours it would take to create something similar would greatly exceed the value of just buying the books. Maybe I'm just lazy :tongue_smilie:

But if one did want to create ones own personal math program, most folks would find ideas worthy of expropriation in the HiGs ;)

But if the rest of the HiGs in the Standards Edition series are as good as level one, there is no question I will purchase them and consider them "essential" parts of the program. And if it is true, as seems the case, that the Standards Edition HiGs are a substantial improvement over the US Edition HiGs, that would be enough for me to switch versions (assuming I wasn't in 5 or 6).

Bill

For that matter, some teacher's guides include large amts of material from the text (or even a tiny version of each page!), which I don't think the Singapore ones do. I'm cheap too -- I find the cost of printing MEP makes it similar to other programs (such as Singapore) although not the really expensive ones.

Anyway, another alternative to the HIGs, which are rather pricey, when purchased for each term, is one or both of these books (I'm linking you to Singaporemath.com's website but they're available many other places):

Elementary Mathematics for Teachers (Parker and Baldridge)

Arithmetic for Parents by Ron Aharoni

These explain arithmetic (and not the geometric aspects of elementary grades' math) in detail in terms of how to understand it and how to teach it. The Parker and Baldridge book uses Singapore math texts from years 3-6 in conjunction with the text. Both are less than $30 new. A local library might have them. I got my local library to buy the Aharoni book, and I bought the Parker/Baldridge book used from someone on this board.

Edited by stripe

I don't use the instructor guide's with singapore, but I do go over the textbook with her and do examples with input from her......I probably do give additional explanations where needed - haven't thought about it much though.

I can't just give her the textbook and let her have at it.....though I look forward to that day:)

Katherine

It is the textbook that we don't use most of the time. They really aren't textbooks in the traditional sense of the word, as far as I can see. They don't really teach anything, just demonstrate. It is the TG or HIG that explain how to teach the concept.

I suppose the HIG could replace the textbook, if you did the legwork, as Bill basically said.

But to me, the textbook IS your teaching material. I think it's more well-thought-out than it appears. It presents the material visually, demonstrates your words and then your thoughts, and gradually becomes symbolic. If a teacher's guide said, "Draw 4 objects on the blackboard and then tell the student to think about..." it would be the same thing.

After a new topic has been presented a few times, the textbook "lesson" is just a few problems, but each one of those is designed for you to watch your child and see if he needs to go back to the visual pages or not. I made the mistake at first of sending ds off to do these problems himself.

I do agree, though, that some of the new topics such as fractions are presented briefly. I think there are two reasons for that. (1) Singapore students do serious outside drill. If students can do multiples up to 12 in their head, then fractions is just a matter of understanding the new concept and then plugging the math facts they already know into it. They may even have done fractions as part of their outside drill. (2) I felt one or two problems at the 3 & 4 levels were "challenge" problems for kids ready to go beyond what they'd been taught. (I remember my son didn't like those :) ) But in Singapore you'll come back to the topics at a later time, either in a review or in a new lesson at a higher level.

Right now he is working on lesson 18/fractions. It's adding fractions with unlike denominators. He does fine using fraction bars but as far as trying to visualize on his own:confused: Of course the way I learned it is not the way it is taught in the book. The lesson before that was on fractions and he had to write in simplest form...again :confused:

Maybe Singapore isn't for him? We have used Singapore all along and he has done ok...but now it just isn't sinking in and honestly it confuses me at times. Maybe our brains aren't wired to understand Singapore methodology?

Deb

Some concepts just take more time and practice. Before you quit Singapore...

Let him use the bars for a few days to find equivalent fractions...

1. Pick a fraction (1/2 or 1/3 are a good place to start) and ask him what are some other names for one half (equivalent fractions). Have him make a list (1/2, 2/4, 3/6, etc.) Next have him compare two of the fractions say 1/2 and 3/6. Ask what do you multiply the top number by to get the second fraction? What about the bottom number? Repeat with a few pairs and then start over with a different fraction.
  2. Next take a fraction (I'll use 1/2 as an example) and ask him how many fourths would it be? how many tenths? Sixths? etc.
  3. Finally take an equivalent fraction like 4/20. Ask him how many tenths? How many fifths?
  4. Have him try the same exercises again, but without the fraction bars.

Once he's comfortable with the equivalent fractions then repeat the lesson on simplifying fractions and go from there. He made need some additional practice. You could use the Extra Practice or IP supplement or just create some similar problems or your own.

For the adding fractions with unlike denominators have him write out his work (copy the original problem, rewrite the problem with common denominators, add the numbers, then simplify the result if needed). My DD did much better when her work was written out like this than when she tried to work it in her head.

If he still has trouble, I would try either the HIG or Key to Fractions. Keep in mind it's not uncommon to find one ot two topics in any math program that a child needs additional practice or supplemental work on. Fractions are one of those topics that often take more time. HTH

My DD7 uses the Standards Edition. We are currently in 2B. DH and I are mathy people, and I am a high school math teacher. I have bought the Standards edition HIG since 1A. Yes, I am capable of understanding and teaching the concepts without the guides, but I don't want to simply teach her the way I was taught. I want her level of understanding to exceed mine. Singapore is teaching a way of thinking about math, not just algorithms. If I relied on my own skills, she would be missing this piece. I would not consider the HIG something that you need only if you aren't mathy or don't know how to teach math. Math is just not a subject that I want to run the risk of shortchanging. Besides SM is cheap!

My DD7 uses the Standards Edition. We are currently in 2B. DH and I are mathy people, and I am a high school math teacher. I have bought the Standards edition HIG since 1A. Yes, I am capable of understanding and teaching the concepts without the guides, but I don't want to simply teach her the way I was taught. I want her level of understanding to exceed mine. Singapore is teaching a way of thinking about math, not just algorithms. If I relied on my own skills, she would be missing this piece. I would not consider the HIG something that you need only if you aren't mathy or don't know how to teach math. Math is just not a subject that I want to run the risk of shortchanging. Besides SM is cheap!

:iagree: Very well said!

Are you just giving it to him to read and figure out on his own? I'm sorry if I'm interpreting what you wrote incorrectly, as then some of what I write next may not apply...

Although I know there are people out there with kids who can just "do" Singapore independently, I think those are very math-intuitive kids. Singapore was never meant to be a self-teaching curriculum. I go over each and every textbook lesson with my kids and a white board. I demostrate what the text is trying to explain, and then we go over all the problems in the lesson on a white board, to make sure they understand it. If they still don't understand it, I haul out the manipulatives (equivalent fractions would definitely be a place to do that - a couple of pictures in the book is not enough). My thinking is that the textbook is the classroom lesson and is meant for a teacher to teach. Then, after teaching, practice problems and sometimes manipulatives, I have them do the workbook independently - I think of that as the homework.

Okay, with my younger who is more math-intuitive there have been some textbook lessons I haven't bothered with - when I knew for sure she already understood the material. And if my kids totally get it, I have been known not to do 100% of the textbook problems on a whiteboard with them. But that's the exception.

My kids are doing great with Singapore, but they (especially the older two) would be flat-out failing and completely lost if I just handed them the textbook to read and figure out by themselves. I don't use the HIG because I "get" what the textbook lessons are trying to present and am able to expand on it myself - perhaps because I tend to be math-intuitive. However, if you don't yourself get what deeper stuff is going on in the texbook (and it's there - the lessons look deceptively simple, but are full of meat), and where to go "off book" and supplement with further explanation, drill or manipulatives, that's where I think getting the HIG would be not just a good idea, but perhaps necessary to get optimal results from the program.

We started Singapore with the 4A and 4B as well. By the time I got into 4B I was even struggling to understand how to solve some of the word problems. We managed to get through it and for 5A and 5B I bought the HIG as well. I am SO GLAD I did. I cannot imagine getting through it without it. I like Singapore because it doesn't teach you how to solve a certain type of problem that looks a certain way, it teaches you to think mathematically and how to solve problems with the concepts and tools that you've learned. Some of the word problems are very challenging and the HIG was a wonderful resource for me. I always buy them now when I buy the other books.