Menu

Anyone can jam?

I tried canning strawberry jam for the first time today.

I used the water bath method, and they have all "popped" just like they were supposed to.

However, they look kind of runny and the fruit has risen to the top in all the jars.

I did use pectin as I understand that is what helps jam thicken.

Did I do something wrong? Will it thicken up with time?

If it doesn't, I guess I can use it as strawberry syrup, right?:tongue_smilie:

Any tips would be appreciated...we picked 40 lbs. of strawberries today and I froze a bunch to can once I figure out what I did wrong.

Thanks! :001_smile:

Are the jars still a bit warm or at room temp? Try putting one in the refrigerator to see if it will jell a bit better. If not, then call it gourmet strawberry sauce and give as a gift with pound cake!

Reread the instructions on your pectin packet. Sometimes fruit that is extremely ripe doesn't have quite as much of its own pectin and is slower/harder to jell. Usually there is troubleshooting info on the instruction paper. Good luck!

Are the jars still a bit warm or at room temp? Try putting one in the refrigerator to see if it will jell a bit better. If not, then call it gourmet strawberry sauce and give as a gift with pound cake!

Reread the instructions on your pectin packet. Sometimes fruit that is extremely ripe doesn't have quite as much of its own pectin and is slower/harder to jell. Usually there is troubleshooting info on the instruction paper. Good luck!

:iagree: Also, could it be that your measurements were off a tad? In any case, they should still be yummy!!!

Did you cook only one batch at a time? If you try to do more than one they may not jell properly.

If it still hasn't jelled after it has cooled, you can open all the jars, dump them back in the pot (one batch at a time), and either add more pectin, or use the thermometer method (or both), and then re-can them. You'll have to wash your jars over again, of course, and use new covers (but you can reuse the same bands).

HTH!

O.k. Amy, dumping them back in the pot is not the answer I'm looking for ;):lol:!

But I like the idea of gifting them with a pound cake...yeah, that's right, I meant to do it like this:D.

My measurements could definitely have been off as Joyfulmama suggested.

oh well, back to the drawing board tomorrow:001_smile:

Thanks ladies!

Well, I was going to ditto Amy's suggestions, but since that is not what you are looking for...

It does take a full 24 hours to jel completely, so I would leave them and look again tomorrow. If they are still runny, then you have syrup!

Another thing, if you are at altitude (for some reason I think you aren't, but just in case) you have to leave them in the water bath longer. Sorry, I only know my altitude length (which is an extra 10 minutes because I am at 4500 feet). Your pectin should have the exact time for your elevation.

I struggled with this strawberry floating issue for a long time, and it bugged me. Last year I put the strawberries in the Cuisinart and pureed them before cooking them. The results were a more uniform jam. The kids liked it so much that they eat a pint every Saturday with their pancakes. Raspberries and blackberries do not have the same issue as the strawberry. The strawberry also oxidizes, so I'd use the recommended lemon juice.

Guest Virginia Dawn
I tried canning strawberry jam for the first time today.

I used the water bath method, and they have all "popped" just like they were supposed to.

However, they look kind of runny and the fruit has risen to the top in all the jars.

I did use pectin as I understand that is what helps jam thicken.

Did I do something wrong? Will it thicken up with time?

If it doesn't, I guess I can use it as strawberry syrup, right?:tongue_smilie:

Any tips would be appreciated...we picked 40 lbs. of strawberries today and I froze a bunch to can once I figure out what I did wrong.

Thanks! :001_smile:

Mine did this last year. I used the strawberry syrup on pancakes and for making strawberry icecream in my icecream maker.

This year I read the instructions more carefully and followed them to the letter. I also tried to use the berries that were not the ripest ones I had picked. I smashed those suckers to a pulp, and my jam turned out beautifully. :D

In the past I always had this problem so this year I tried the old way and it has worked so much better for me.

I used

4 cups of mashed berries

4 cups of sugar

1/4 cup of lemon juice

I cooked all of this over low heat stirring often and constantly near the end until the mixture reach 220 degrees F on my candy thermo.

Then I processed them in a water bath.

Just for info also, I was very sick one week after I got my berries from my local farmers market and I went ahead and sliced up the berries and put the sugar on them in a ziplock bag for a week in the refrig. When I was better I went ahead and cooked them up and they were better than the ones I cooked on the day I got fresh berries.

Good Luck and keep trying don't give up. Canning is really an art of it's own.:001_smile:

I'm having the same trouble. I have LOTS of strawberry syrup for pancakes now...lol. I even tried re-canning a batch. Didn't work. My MIL says that she's NEVER been able to get strawberries to gel right. Sigh. I can make some awesome blackberry and cherry jams though!

Who knew strawberries were so contrary :rolleyes:?

Hopefully blueberry season will be easier for me ;).

Another hint:

Don't slice berries or put them through the food processor. Hull strawberries and then crush them with a potato masher. A food processor breaks down the fruit's natural pectin.

Also I read that it can take up to 2 weeks for jams to set.