Menu

Weird Question...Where does SWB go when she is freeaking out over homeschooling??

I have been homeschooling a long time and there are moments when my self confidence just goes flying out the window and I need a good cry and a shoulder. Sometimes a big "Chin Up!" you're doing great or add in some Logic or whatever. Sometimes the program I am using just isn't working no matter how much I tweak it, or one of the kiddoes is not working up to par...or even up to sub standard level. It is just all part of this strange homeschool journey.

I know SWB must feel this way sometime. Afterall she is homeschooling 4 kids, running an awesome publishing company, writing materials for us to use and teaching at the college level. Sheesh...Maybe I should ask where she gets her energy but I would really like to know where does she go to vent?? Is that a really weird question?? I am just curious. I am also so amazed at what she has accomplished. I hope and pray one(or more than one) of my children is as successful BECAUSE of being homeschooled...not in spite of it as some people have eluded to. (Another hit at my self esteem.) Maybe I am in a bit awe of SWB today as I think about her homeschool journey...both as a homeschooled child and a homeschool mom while I patiently <GRRRRRRR> wait for my new WTM?

~~Faithe

I doubt Susan freaks out about homeschooling. After all, it is really the only thing she's ever known. :)

REALLY??? I thought "freak out" was the normal state of us HS moms...hmmmmm....Does that mean my dd's will be better at this than me???

I always thought my "freak out" was the power behind our rigor. :lol:

Do any of you other mom's who were homeschooled yourselves ever "freak out" that you are not doing a good enough job or your kids are not working up to potential...or you just can't listen to one more narration even though you are pretending to listen intently and even answer questions while you search the boards.

Maybe "freak out" was the wrong word (term.) Maybe, I just kinda figured we all get flustered sometimes and we have this place here to vent, get advice, cry on eachothers shoulders, fellowship, recommend new curricula ar advise eachother how to move forward and share our been theres and done thats.

I always had SWB up on a pedestal and it occured to me that that could be a lonely place for her. I am having a bit of a waxing poetic kind of mood, and I was thinking about how SWB and her mom influenced my homeschool, how her book helped me to flesh out what I wanted to accomplish with my kids and gave me the how to's to do it. I am amazed at how intelligent , funny, and hardworking she is. THEN, I started thinking about her yesterday as a Mom and a fellow homeschooler and I started thinking it could be really hard for her when things may not go according to plan.

Well, I was just musing and I am really not articulating well what I am really thinking....so......I'll just say

SWB is always in my prayers...especially prayers of thanks the the Lord has blessed us with her.

~~Faithe

If you haven't already read it, I'd suggest you read her How you know you've blown a gasket blog entry.

I don't know that she gets confused about what to teach or uncertain of her direction, but she did come here and ask for recommendations for a logic stage Encyclopedia after one went out of print right before her book went to print.

:lol:

OH>>>>>That was hysterical.....but oh so true. LOL

Faithe

I think I know what you mean. I'm using my experience as an example. I do a lot of leading out in my church. People often talk to me about their problems and hurts, and I listen and pray with and for them, or try to help them find an answer if I can. Sometimes though I get a bit overwhelmed with everything and think, "I can give this advice people ask me for....but who do I go to for "a shoulder" and advice?! I'm guessing she may get to that point in her busy life sometimes! That's when my faith in God comes into play---I'm so glad I have him to talk to! I also have a couple of friends I can turn to now, which helps to have a couple real flesh-and-blood shoulders to cry on/laps to dump on. I usually do okay, but it's nice to have a couple people, and my dh when I need them! I'm guessing SWB has, aside from her dh and mom, a couple of trusted souls that are there for her when she needs!

Actually, one of the very last things she said at the conference was this exact thing. It helped me tremendously to know she does indeed freak out! She said she will go to her mother and ask her how the kids are doing. Once her mother reassures her then she moves on. She suggests all of us having a wise woman in our lives whom we can go to for the same thing. It was a very special moment for me as realized just how blessed I was to have to that. And heck if she can freak out then I am definately giving myself permission to do so also.:lol:

I was homeschooled 3rd through 12th. No I don't freak out. I know that my mom was queen of curriculum hopping and there were days when she decided she wanted to go to the beach or go shopping instead of school and so we did. We weren't classical homeschoolers. We used traditional texts that we didn't always finish. My sister and I had scholarships and I graduated magna cum laude and my sister just graduated this weekend Summa Cum Laude. I have had the majority of my homeschooled friends do the same with parents who were just as relaxed and used traditional materials. There weren't as many choices then as there are now. So I'm not worried. The only thing I freak out about is parenting. Sometimes I feel like I'm not good at it and that is my main area that causes me to freak out. I have a very head strong little boy. Thankgoodness my second little boy is not so stubborn:lol:

When I attended a seminar given by SWB, she made a point of recommending that everyone have a sounding board, and that a therapist was a really good idea. Her idea was that as a homeschooling mom, you're surrounded by people who love you and all, but who aren't exactly objective about things, and it's important to find someone not so involved to bounce ideas, vent, etc.

Oh I just wanted to add that I like to journal and have 5 or 6 journals filled that are just devoted to homeschooling. It helps me get my thoughts in order and it keeps me from driving my dh crazy by talking to him about the same things over and over. As a matter of fact today I was really needing to write about my revamping of curriculum and so I had to stop at the store on the way home from tutoring math so I could journal when I got home. I had just finished my last journal.

I was homeschooled 3rd through 12th. No I don't freak out. I know that my mom was queen of curriculum hopping and there were days when she decided she wanted to go to the beach or go shopping instead of school and so we did. We weren't classical homeschoolers. We used traditional texts that we didn't always finish. My sister and I had scholarships and I graduated magna cum laude and my sister just graduated this weekend Summa Cum Laude. I have had the majority of my homeschooled friends do the same with parents who were just as relaxed and used traditional materials. There weren't as many choices then as there are now. So I'm not worried. The only thing I freak out about is parenting. Sometimes I feel like I'm not good at it and that is my main area that causes me to freak out. I have a very head strong little boy. Thankgoodness my second little boy is not so stubborn:lol:

I love hearing about homeschooling from someone with your perspective! I often wonder how my dc will be as homeschooling parents, if they choose to go down this road.

I just want to interject a huge sigh of relief in knowing that I'm not the only one that "freaks out" over hsing - whether over a parenting issue or a school issue. Just reading this thread gives me a nice "Chin up! You can do this, keep going!". Thanks to all of you for sharing. :grouphug:

P.S. I think Susan W. B. has her hsing direction down pat - so I doubt that's the thing she gets unnerved about. I think it's important to have 'real life' friends for support, but this forum is priceless. Thank you, Susan!

I just want to interject a huge sigh of relief in knowing that I'm not the only one that "freaks out" over hsing - whether over a parenting issue or a school issue. Just reading this thread gives me a nice "Chin up! You can do this, keep going!". Thanks to all of you for sharing. :grouphug:

P.S. I think Susan W. B. has her hsing direction down pat - so I doubt that's the thing she gets unnerved about. I think it's important to have 'real life' friends for support, but this forum is priceless. Thank you, Susan!

I am feeling a good CHIN UP...too...I guess I am feeling like an island these days because my best homeschooling pals (my BF and My very dearest SIL) are send their children to school next year. They are both burnt out (me too...but school is absolutely not an option here for many reasons) and my kids are not working up to my expectations. I have sort of lost my sounding board and even though I have my hs'ing direction down pat, I am feeling a little off kilter...sigh....

I just received our test scores for the year and my kidlets ALL scored in the high 90 percentiles, so I gues we are doing ok. BUT....I feel like the last homeschooler. (All the hs'ing moms who started when I did have graduated their crews and I still have a K'er...AND those who still have littlies are sending them off to school...and I just do not have the time or energy to meet and become friends with any new homeschoolers.....

So, when I freak out...I guess I'll just come here. Thanks for letting me vent!!

~~Faithe

We're pushing nine years now, and I've worked that entire period and dealt with constant family medical crises almost all of that time including my husband's major ongoing health problems, my mother's dementia, and my father's death in April. And my children continue to thrive with homeschooling, and I've kept up the quality of their studies through the worst of situations. So I figure that very little can stop us.

And yes, I still have little meltdowns. They're helped with a nap, chatting with friends who have homeschooled graduates, and late night calls to my 89-year-old friend who has survived far more than I have. :D

I really appreciated this comment she made at the conference. Even though she was homeschooled and has homeschooled for years she still has times when she gets a panic of "Are they learning enough?", "Is she learning how to read well?", "Should he be doing more of ***?", etc In her case, she says she talks to her mother. She does have these moments though. She also encouraged the use of a therapist if you need it as well. I agree. Although I can't imagine a therapist being of much use on the homeschool topics but you never know. :)

She uses her mother.

I really appreciated this comment she made at the conference. Even though she was homeschooled and has homeschooled for years she still has times when she gets a panic of "Are they learning enough?", "Is she learning how to read well?", "Should he be doing more of ***?", etc In her case, she says she talks to her mother. She does have these moments though. She also encouraged the use of a therapist if you need it as well. I agree. Although I can't imagine a therapist being of much use on the homeschool topics but you never know. :)

She uses her mother.

Well. I think my mother is the reason I probably need a therapist...'nuff said.:D

~~me

Great question! Being a newbie and 5 months into this journey, my daughter gave me a compliment. She said when she's grown up and married, she was going to bring her children to me so that I could homeschool them.

Guess that means I'm doing an okay job so far.