Menu

What colleges are "great books" colleges other than Thomas Aquinas?

Thank you all very much! My ds10 is years away from college, but I have a gut sense that he would love that type of environment - and we are Catholic. But with freshman classes of just 100, wow!

Who knows, he may decide that he's a big party school type:lol:, but I doubt it -- that's DS6:tongue_smilie:.

Thanks, I'm checking out the suggestions even to inform our current curriculum planning with foundational material that would help build to those materials.

And Oxford -- wouldn't that be glorious! Though quite unrealistic for our family :bigear:.

Again, thank you! Off to check out the other colleges!

Guest Katia
Another to look at with a GB core: Hillsdale.

:iagree: Hillsdale is a great college for the GB AND.....they offer study-abroad for summers, semesters and even to finish out your degree at Oxford! The best of both worlds. Worth checking out.

Southeastern College in Wake Forest has a great books major from a Christian pov. The majority of students in the program are planning to go to seminary next, but we've known people who went on to law school, other graduate studies, or other careers.

:iagree: Hillsdale is a great college for the GB AND.....they offer study-abroad for summers, semesters and even to finish out your degree at Oxford! The best of both worlds. Worth checking out.

I was half-joking about Oxford, that's really interesting to know. I had already been drawn to Hillsdale, although that's a bit far off for us to be thinking about yet.

We had a friend who was a Rhodes Scholar, my husband and I both thought it would have been a great way to be educated at a college level, we plan on implementing a bit of their system in high school with our children.

Notre Dame (yes, the Fighting Irish) has a 3 year great books program that still allows you to have a traditional major in addition to your great books work. I rarely see it mentioned, but it's a great combination. I wish I had done something like that in college.

Notre Dame (yes, the Fighting Irish) has a 3 year great books program that still allows you to have a traditional major in addition to your great books work. I rarely see it mentioned, but it's a great combination. I wish I had done something like that in college.

Interesting! I have learned about so many new Colleges on this thread...and I didn't even know that ND had such a program. Though, as Purdue alums, that would be hard for us :lol::lol:

University of Dallas is a GB college--basic requirements for every degree include Plato, Aristotle, Homer, Shakespeare, etc., & they have a campus in Rome, where you're supposed to spend a semester your sophomore yr, if you're not already married w/ kids, lol.

http://udallas.edu/

Their webpage isn't great, but they're a small school. I know at least one of my friends was homeschooled, but I didn't really meet people much. They seemed to all already know ea other from Catholic stuff prior to college. :confused: I mean, they were really friendly, I was just too shy. :001_huh:

• 3 years later...
Guest MEinGA

Washington University in St. Louis is a terrific school, and it has a GB program that is part of the Interdisciplinary Program in the Humanities. The Great Books rotation is called Text and Tradition.