Menu

Solid online options for all high school math courses- lots of practice?

Has anyone found a strong online option for high school math- preferably for a gifted student? Everything I research ends up with very little practice and problems.  *This" is what I want the digital aspect for.  I don't mind teaching math and have a strong understanding myself, but I need the bank of problems and immediate answers and solutions.   Any ideas?

look into AoPS - you can get a student text and the solutions manual

Why would you need online if you want to teach it?

see the pinned thread

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/542418-homeschool-high-school-math/

I can teach the material, but I want the student to have immediate access to the answer (and solution) and not wait for me as I have 3 other students ranging from 5th through high school.   

I can teach the material, but I want the student to have immediate access to the answer (and solution) and not wait for me as I have 3 other students ranging from 5th through high school.   

AoPS would provide that.

I believe you could find lesson plans out there somewhere maybe a Hive member would share theirs.

We used the  Introduction to Algebra textbook for afterschool (summer) supplement - it is challenging.

that text has some free videos

https://artofproblemsolving.com/videos/algebra1

(if you go the AoPS route I would start with the Prealgbra text this year if that is where your student is).

Foerster is another good choice - you should be able to purchase the solutions manual.

FOERSTER (and MATH WITHOUT BORDERS videos) is fairly challenging as well.

Has anyone found a strong online option for high school math- preferably for a gifted student? Everything I research ends up with very little practice and problems.  *This" is what I want the digital aspect for.  I don't mind teaching math and have a strong understanding myself, but I need the bank of problems and immediate answers and solutions.   Any ideas?

I think AOPS would work well for this if you used Alcumus as your primary problem bank for practice.

• Like 1

Unlock math is all online and has what appears to be unlimited problem sets (the student does as many sets as is necessary to master the concept). Every problem is immediately graded and the student is presented with the answer and the worked solution (including every single possible step).

• Like 3

Unlock math is all online and has what appears to be unlimited problem sets (the student does as many sets as is necessary to master the concept). Every problem is immediately graded and the student is presented with the answer and the worked solution (including every single possible step).

Have you used Unlock math  https://www.unlockmath.com/ ?

If so how was the rigor?

Have you used Unlock math  https://www.unlockmath.com/ ?

If so how was the rigor?

I have two students currently using it - one is doing prealgebra and the other is doing geometry. I would say it is solidly college-prep. The instructor teaches the concept in the video, and the lesson problems are designed so the student has to apply that concept in a variety of ways - they don't just do a set of problems exactly like the ones used to illustrate the concept in the video.

I have not used another geometry program to make a comparison, but the prealgebra is on par with Dolciani prealgebra, which I own and have used to supplement another program.

• Like 1

My wife and I met Dennis DiNoia (Mr.D) in Alaska at homeschool conventions there this year. We were very impressed with his ability to connect with students and his passion for teaching math. We were fortunate enough to forge a friendship over several conventions that we both attended and would even send parents to each others booths telling them to go with whichever teacher their child connected with better. It was really refreshing to be able to have a non-competitive relationship with a "competitor :)

Edited by MatthewBlackwood
  • Like 1